Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross - we thank you

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think your "average player" comment was fair for someone who has consistently been among the top assist providers in the Premier League, nor do I see comments like that as "middle ground", just seemed deliberately negative...

We'll just have to agree to disagree then mate. Like I say, plenty of posters posted plenty of times on here that they never wanted to see PG wear the stripes ever again. None of which was me btw

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I see him leaving us in the summer. Not because he a spent player with nothing to offer but just because the squad needs to evolve and his departure so someone with more longevity can come in for that position seems sensible. No point signing him up to another contract if his game time is just going to become more and more limited. To step forward we need to replace him with someone who combines his set piece/crossing ability with some more energy and pace in the midfield.

I think that might happen if we retain lallana another year or so. I think Potter sees both as decent experienced players and would need to keep 1.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
We'll just have to agree to disagree then mate. Like I say, plenty of posters posted plenty of times on here that they never wanted to see PG wear the stripes ever again. None of which was me btw

Fair enough, as someone once said, opinions are like ar$eholes, every one has one. *

* unless you've had a proctectomy.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Meanwhile, back in the real world, here is what I actually posted. Sorry (= Not Sorry) if it triggered you in some way :shrug:

You're being unkind and unfair to Pascal. He has been beating up to 3 players at a time for 5 PL seasons with a slow-motion turn that they should know is coming. That is not moderate talent. His assist numbers also indicate he is much better than moderately talented. 5 seasons is not really "passing through" either.

Jimmy Grimble

Meanwhile, back in the real world, here is what I actually posted. Sorry (= Not Sorry) if it triggered you in some way :shrug:

If you genuinely think Pascal Gross is only ‘moderately talented’ in the context of Albion footballers, then you are so wide of the mark. Using the phrase ‘just passing through’ for a player who has played the amount of games and contributed as much as Gross has is also pretty disrespectful. Again, you’ve been shown to be in a minority but you‘ve had a good feed on this thread I’m sure that’s all that matters to you[emoji106]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You're being unkind and unfair to Pascal. He has been beating up to 3 players at a time for 5 PL seasons with a slow-motion turn that they should know is coming. That is not moderate talent. His assist numbers also indicate he is much better than moderately talented. 5 seasons is not really "passing through" either.

If I've been 'unkind and unfair' to Pascal, then go seek out those who have had WAY more vehement opinions re the player than me. Of which there are historically plenty. Me, like I said up top, just don't much care either way :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If I've been 'unkind and unfair' to Pascal, then go seek out those who have had WAY more vehement opinions re the player than me. Of which there are historically plenty. Me, like I said up top, just don't much care either way :shrug:

I think that just about sums most of your Albion opinions up to be fair.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Bizarre thread considering there's nothing to suggest he's going anywhere until the summer, if at all...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Apart from Lewis Dunk. Gross has been the most influential Brighton player since they reached the PL . They would never have survived the First season in the PL without him.

On top of that. He still has a lot to offer so I think he will get offered a new contract before the summer

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you genuinely think Pascal Gross is only ‘moderately talented’ in the context of Albion footballers, then you are so wide of the mark. Using the phrase ‘just passing through’ for a player who has played the amount of games and contributed as much as Gross has is also pretty disrespectful. Again, you’ve been shown to be in a minority but you‘ve had a good feed on this thread I’m sure that’s all that matters to you[emoji106]

Agreed. Loads of players are only moderately talented but contribute immensely. Tim Cahill was the most average player I have ever seen in my life but the way he found space and got away from his marker to score goals at corners for Millwall, Everton, Australia and that US side he played for made him worth his weight in gold. Gross is a similar type of value to the sides he has played for.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Gross is a similar type of value to the sides he has played for.

Then why have we allowed him the opportunity to sign a pre-agreement with another club from Saturday? I don’t want him to leave but something doesn’t add up here.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Every time I tried to write "Timmmy"" Cahill it changes " Timmmy" with only 2 M's to "knob jockey" - why is that ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Every time I tried to write "Timmmy"" Cahill it changes " Timmmy" with only 2 M's to "knob jockey" - why is that ?
Because the T-i-m-m-y who used to post on here was indeed a "knob jockey" who in the end left the board and threatened legal action if all his posts weren't removed. He'd written some pretty ill judged posts in his time and was running for election to the council.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
An interesting stat here from Transfermarkt.

Groß has played 26 games as a second striker (or No.10) for us. Almost all appearances were under Hughton. We only lost 5 of those games.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

He scored 7 goals in his first season from that position, his record haul in the Premier League.

Mr Versatile is on target to beat that this season (he currently has 6 in the EPL land 1 in the cup) but he has to contend with being played in most positions on the pitch!

D4146781-8B2B-4337-B4DE-3A202D37A783.jpeg

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Groß has played 26 games as a second striker (or No.10) for us. Almost all appearances were under Hughton. We only lost 5 of those games.

He scored 7 goals in his first season from that position, his record haul in the Premier League.

Mr Versatile is on target to beat that this season (he currently has 6 in the EPL land 1 in the cup) but he has to contend with being played in most positions on the pitch!

View attachment 158068
Great find. I really do think we'd be best off with him as the number 10 and Mac as 6/8 for the rest of the season. He's the best finisher at the club. Links up so well with Solly and the Mac Moises pivot is our best CM partnership. I get why RDZ plays Mac there but doubt there's anyone who's seen Macs development who wouldn't know say he is a better DM than AM.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

View attachment 158068
On a side note, he'll make his 200th Brighton appearance against Palace if he plays against Leeds at the weekend.

And to think a couple of years ago there were so many of us who thought his time at the albion was coming to an end.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
2 goals in 6 games at RB this season 🤯 not a ratio to be sniffed at.

(I know he has had games where he's moved to full back having started further up, and vice versa, but I'm happy to ignore that)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here