Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Parking on grass verges

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I made a big mistake recently to turn up to work at a property in the same road as Telscombe Cliffs school was tipping out, honestly it’s a complete twat show with parents parking and double parking exactly where the like.
I feel sorry for anyone that lives near this school.
I'm going to struggle to find the story now.

At the end of last year a school in London was given permission for a 'safe school zone' (no cars).
The kids ended up having to do all night sit ins to protect the legal road block.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Dial non emergency police number and ask them to come and do some ticketing. I’ve done it in the past, and surprisingly, they turn up and slap tickets on offenders windscreens. I live near a school and lots of parents park illegally for various events despite all the efforts of school and road safety measures such as double yellows. It’s personally very satisfying, and the parents can seemingly afford because they’re all driving SHERMANS (see earlier post). Usually over grass verges…
Our local school has got the council to install a camera which operates at school drop off and pick up times, all this has achieved is moving all the parents to clog up neighbouring roads which really pisses us local residents off they park across driveways double yellows anything to make sure little Timmy gets home safe.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I was greeted by this today ffs, no I'm not the BMW

Attachments

• 20230119_140334.jpg
    20230119_140334.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Would be a real shame for the shiny BMW to have a key scratch all down the side and a nasty looking puncture.
My sister actually had her tyre stabbed the other night

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Our local school has got the council to install a camera which operates at school drop off and pick up times, all this has achieved is moving all the parents to clog up neighbouring roads which really pisses us local residents off they park across driveways double yellows anything to make sure little Timmy gets home safe.
Yep, happens here too after our road spent 5 years campaigning for such eventual restrictions. But like a burglar alarm as a pointer to say maybe my neighbours house is an easier target, it’s up to those residents now affected to now resolve what is now their problem. If choose to do nothing, then, that’s their prerogative. But action does work, if people can be bothered that is.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My sister actually had her tyre stabbed the other night
Had she parked inconsiderably? Or mindless vandalism? Both criminal obviously, but most would have less sympathy if former (I know of someone disabled who admitted damaging a car persistently blocking a pavement...oh well!)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Had she parked inconsiderably? Or mindless vandalism? Both criminal obviously, but most would have less sympathy if former (I know of someone disabled who admitted damaging a car persistently blocking a pavement...oh well!)
Nope just parked further up the road then normal, we know there's a bloke that regularly does cars in the area but no proof

theboybilly

Too many vehicles on the road. And, of those, far too many unnecessarily large. Its all coming home to roost. It really is long past the time we started making people pay heavily (really really heavily) for the privilege of car ownership. 5 cars on a paved front garden of a suburban semi-detached - I ask you. When will people wake up?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I was a bit shocked by this when I was back in Brighton last summer (it had been ~5 years since I'd been back, maybe longer?). Never used to be a thing back in my day.

My sister's excuse was because of the buses. If you park on the road, they take your wing mirrors out. They now have a carport built to put the cars in (at great expense). But yeah. Too many cars. The UK ain't built for it.

Having lived in the states more than two decades, I now find UK roads frankly terrifying. They need to go around and make a lot of roads one way, 'cos they ain't wide enough.
I was a bit shocked when I was back in the US last summer for the first time in 20 years and now everyone seems to have an assault rifle and several handguns as if they were no more unusual than having a variety of saucepans...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope just parked further up the road then normal, we know there's a bloke that regularly does cars in the area but no proof
What an arsehole. Sorry to hear for your sisters sake. I had 3 nailed tyres in space of 12 months many years ago and wondered if that was mere bad luck or, someone unbeknown to me had a cob on. Street parking not without risk! Probably was just bad luck, because also had someone crash into (blinded by early morning sun) my stationary car but who had the good grace to knock on peoples doors to see who owned and apologise / provide insurance his details. In end wasn’t worth doing that way, just got repaired locally at fraction of price. I ended up giving the bloke a bottle wine too for his honesty!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a tangent but close enough.

Stat World is currently logjammed due to flooded roads being closed.

The lengths my fellow car uses will go to in order to not let someone else out in front of them is staggering.
This is highlighted by the last 2 days at a roundabout where the main road has 2 side junctions as it continues round.

Both days I've left someone out of the first road.
Both times they have given me a fulsome thank you wave.
& both times they have driven straight up the arse of the car in front blocking the access to the main road for car in the second junction.

I assume both times the drivers were no handed as while they were giving a big wave to me they were middle finger gesture with the other hand.

Weapons - all of us.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Too many vehicles on the road. And, of those, far too many unnecessarily large. Its all coming home to roost. It really is long past the time we started making people pay heavily (really really heavily) for the privilege of car ownership. 5 cars on a paved front garden of a suburban semi-detached - I ask you. When will people wake up?
Yeah - I have an L200, I think it's justified for where I live and what I use it for - But I parked up at the nature reserve where I volunteer and I was next to a couple of colleagues, one in a Hyundai i10 another in a little Citroen thing. I was actually gobsmacked at the size differential it was quite eye opening.

Amazes me to see parents encouraging their passing 17 year old kids to drive and then getting them a car, where does it end?? As you say, it's not unusual to see 3,4,5 cars on a driveway, mad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here