Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Had you ran so far away
all night and day
And just couldn't get away :lol:
When I first came across that record I thought it was about the Ayatollah.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I went out for a run earlier and couldn't help but be appalled by the state of the grass verges along every road I ran down.

It seems that it is the accepted norm for drivers to park with their wheels up on grass verges, churning them up and leaving them looking like shell holes at the Somme.

When did drivers develop this entitlement to damage public highways in this antisocial way?

Is there any way to report drivers who persistently do this?
Unless you have parking restrictions in the road they aren’t legally doing anything wrong. So who are you going to report them to?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
If I can add to the 'miserable old fart' content here - whilst the ever more, ever bigger car thing is going to get much worse before it gets better, I've noticed a creeping thing around here whereby people not content with several vehicles parked on the road, also park alternative accommodation on the road e.g. camper vans, converted 'normal' vans and even (very locally to me) a big trailer tent!

Unless there is government / Council intervention humans just consume not only more stuff but also more space

The pavement parking enforcement of Elm Grove will be interesting to watch get played out. Conversion to herringbone parking would sort that out surely? For about a year...

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
There is a family down our road with three cars that they park in a line of 3 across the front of their house . However there is only one drop down consequently two cars drive straight over the now non existent verge .

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
That vehicle is a van, the driver has an entitlement to park where they want, how they want and in general drive like a twat, surely you must know this?
Bang on. Not only did the van driver think that he also told me that when confronted.

Long story short his Mrs kicked him out last weekend so after a year of that we can relax again.

As others have said its the amount of parking vs vehicles nowadays. Living on a new build its shocking where and how people park and just dont care. Grass verges, over the wheelchair drop downs. Across peoples driveways if visiting next door ! And we all have to sign a covenant to say we wont and basically its completely useless as we would have to start legal action. No sign written vans parked on the estate, good one :rolleyes:

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
We have the issue round here too. Reported it to BHCC and was told, it's not illegal so there is nothing they can do about it.

Our neighbour opposite will park on the verge if she cannot park directly outside of her house. Partner drives a mini bus which she parks outside so their 4x4 is on the verge most days/nights

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Trees are the answer, at our old place in Shoreham, the verges got wrecked either by parking or people not being arsed to drive round them on to driveways so someone asked the council if we could put trees in, no problem - and we could choose where they went, job done....

More broadly, we can't just keep building parking spaces to allow more and more cars, we have to have better public transport and therefore fewer cars that's the only answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As is customary, The World Bollard Association has all the answers.

My favourite is the outsize bollard right at the end, to prevent cars driving off the zebra crossing between the traffic lights, and parking on the otherwise unprotected corner. That bollard is doing an important public service. You can't be too careful these days.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The easiest way to solve this, and many other parking problems in the city, would be to double yellow every single road. If you don't have enough off road parking for any vehicles you have, tough - get rid of them. I'd exclude roads that have residents parking with no verges.

Appreciate it wouldn't be popular and it's coming from an "I'm alright Jack" perspective.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I went out for a run earlier and couldn't help but be appalled by the state of the grass verges along every road I ran down.

It seems that it is the accepted norm for drivers to park with their wheels up on grass verges, churning them up and leaving them looking like shell holes at the Somme.

When did drivers develop this entitlement to damage public highways in this antisocial way?

Is there any way to report drivers who persistently do this?
It might be because the grass verges and kerbs provide a more even track compared to many current potholed road surfaces ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was a bit shocked by this when I was back in Brighton last summer (it had been ~5 years since I'd been back, maybe longer?). Never used to be a thing back in my day.

My sister's excuse was because of the buses. If you park on the road, they take your wing mirrors out. They now have a carport built to put the cars in (at great expense). But yeah. Too many cars. The UK ain't built for it.

Having lived in the states more than two decades, I now find UK roads frankly terrifying. They need to go around and make a lot of roads one way, 'cos they ain't wide enough.
A drive through the picturesque town of Mousehole in Cornwall is truly scary.

Jul 7, 2003
As is customary, The World Bollard Association has all the answers.

Good solid looking bollards there. In some places they use those lightweight plastic ones but people seem to just drive over them.

I prefer those nice jagged small boulders people put down in some areas. They look nice nice, natural material but also do a great job of scraping the paint of people who try to ignore them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Funny you should bring this up, I appreciate I’m going to sound like a miserable old fart here but this very topic has been bugging me for weeks. The people who live opposite me have space for 2 vehicles on their drive, however they have two vans, two Chelsea tractors and a hatchback, a combination of tractors/vans are always parked on the verge either side of my driveway and they’ve churned the absolute crap out of it, it looks awful. They’re the only ones who do it in the street. I know it’s trivial, but it’s very annoying.
Tractors, vans, any caravans? . . . obviously Palarse fans.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Funny you should bring this up, I appreciate I’m going to sound like a miserable old fart here but this very topic has been bugging me for weeks. The people who live opposite me have space for 2 vehicles on their drive, however they have two vans, two Chelsea tractors and a hatchback, a combination of tractors/vans are always parked on the verge either side of my driveway and they’ve churned the absolute crap out of it, it looks awful. They’re the only ones who do it in the street. I know it’s trivial, but it’s very annoying.
Let their tires down daily until they stop.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The easiest way to solve this, and many other parking problems in the city, would be to double yellow every single road. If you don't have enough off road parking for any vehicles you have, tough - get rid of them. I'd exclude roads that have residents parking with no verges.

Appreciate it wouldn't be popular and it's coming from an "I'm alright Jack" perspective.
I like that idea, I’d vote for that Cllr

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here