Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking charge - for practising manoeuvres

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nevertheless there should still be a 20min grace period. The OP says they were there around 10 minutes. You dont have to give an excuse as to why you were there in the first place. You are perfectly entitled to drop passengers off. I do it at Shoreham most weeks. The OP could have been looking specifically for a space that suited their needs (whatever they may be) but decided somewhere else offered better choices. If they didnt overstay the 20 minutes they shouldnt have got a ticket. It should be thrown out.
There is a 20 minute grace period in railway station car parks. That has always been the case. Unfortunately, when they handed over the 'running' of the car parks to APCOA, although I imagine much against APCOA's wishes, they insisted on keeping the 20 minutes grace period (for people to buy a ticket in advance, check train times, that sort of thing).
What APCOA didn't tell people popping in for their legitimate 20 minute grace period as usual was that if they didn't go and read the parking notice at the pay point carefully (which nobody would, the free 20 minutes had been the norm for ever), they would be stung for not registering their registraton number to get their free 20 minutes.
Many of the new car park operators that have got contracts to 'run' car parks are just illegal clampers that went legit when illegal clamping became officially illegal. C***s the lot of 'em.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Twice now in a few months I've had a ticket when the permit voucher was clearly visible hooked on the inside window. Your ONLY job is to look for a permit and you f*** that up!?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
In a 'paybyphone' space on Blaker Street (off Edward Street) issued by a B&HCC attendant. I had overstayed my welcome.

As this isn't a private parking ticket, you have got lucky and there can be no Notice to Owner. BHCC will have to cancel it if the reg is wrong; they cannot get your data from the DVLA.

Would be a different story if it was a private scammer - but the good news is, they are about to be strictly regulated and this new statutory CoP will be revived by the DLUHC this month, after the money-grabbers blocked it in 2022 with Judicial Reviews:

Final Public Consultation coming this month.

It's in the public domain that I'm on the DLUHC Steering Group, so I can't say much more but I will give a heads up on NSC, in case any PPC victims want their voice heard to get this pretty damn good (even though I say so myself!) new Code into law.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
My bugbear is how complicated the Blue Badge regs are. Both my wife and mum are unable to drive, or walk safely, due to serious health conditions so I am their transport lifeline. I can't understand why the
blue badge regs differ from area to area and why the signage is often misleading, to say the least. It pisses me off that something that is supposed to be in place to help the vulnerable often appears to be unnecessarily complicated. I've recently had to appeal one ticket which was cancelled but the issuing authority were unable to provide a reason for the ticket. It's almost like the authorities want to issue tickets to the vulnerable.....

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
As this isn't a private parking ticket, you have got lucky and there can be no Notice to Owner. BHCC will have to cancel it if the reg is wrong; they cannot get your data from the DVLA.

Would be a different story if it was a private scammer - but the good news is, they are about to be strictly regulated and this new statutory CoP will be revived by the DLUHC this month, after the money-grabbers blocked it in 2022 with Judicial Reviews:

Final Public Consultation coming this month.

It's in the public domain that I'm on the DLUHC Steering Group, so I can't say much more but I will give a heads up on NSC, in case any PPC victims want their voice heard to get this pretty damn good (even though I say so myself!) new Code into law.
Thank you so much @LadySeagull and please keep fighting the good fight. You are a beacon of hope!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was involved in a ram raiding incident years ago and I was only there for 7 minutes but I still got done…… bastards they are.

el punal

You usually get 20mins. It doesnt matter if its to sort out payment, dropping somebody off or just changing your mind. Are you absolutely sure you were there no longer than this. That said, there are better places to practise manoeuvres in my opinion.
Bennett’s Field would be good. Hardly anyone parks there so you should be okay. :drink:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I had a parking ticket at a university run car park about a year ago. The thing was, I actually had a valid pass so the fine was cancelled as it was due to an administrative mistake. What really pee’d me off however was the photo they showed me as evidence of it being my car was photoshopped as it didn’t show the manufacturer’s logo at the bottom of the plate and the font of one of the digits was different. They are generally a bunch of …….

TudorApples

Nov 4, 2019
I’ve received a letter this month from debt collectors claiming I didn’t pay a PCN back in 2020. I used to live above the shops on Broadwater street west and it’s the same car park round the back, managed by OPS, believe it’s Pop pay now.
I have no recollection of receiving a PCN on the stated date and haven’t been given any supporting evidence which would remind me of this.
I have received and paid a legitimate PCN I got in the same car park, I’d overslept and left the car parked well over the time limit.
I’ve also successfully appealed a PCN here too, when randomly given a ticket when I’d paid.
So I would have paid this if I’d known about it at the time, or appealed it if necessary.
The letter states I can no longer appeal, but I have no evidence to suggest this is legit.

I’ve tried emailing the debt collectors but had no response. I’m reluctant to ring them as not great on the phone…

Any advice welcome!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I’ve received a letter this month from debt collectors claiming I didn’t pay a PCN back in 2020. I used to live above the shops on Broadwater street west and it’s the same car park round the back, managed by OPS, believe it’s Pop pay now.
I have no recollection of receiving a PCN on the stated date and haven’t been given any supporting evidence which would remind me of this.
I have received and paid a legitimate PCN I got in the same car park, I’d overslept and left the car parked well over the time limit.
I’ve also successfully appealed a PCN here too, when randomly given a ticket when I’d paid.
So I would have paid this if I’d known about it at the time, or appealed it if necessary.
The letter states I can no longer appeal, but I have no evidence to suggest this is legit.

I’ve tried emailing the debt collectors but had no response. I’m reluctant to ring them as not great on the phone…

Any advice welcome!
Don't contact the debt collectors. They have no power at all and just use intimidatory letters to scare you, they will also not be able to give you details of the "offence". Contacting them just confirms that they have the right address!

Now probably just best to wait to see if you get a Letter before Claim or similar which means that the original car park operator has decided to take you to court at which point you can either pay up or fight.

As well as the Martin's Money Saving Expert site, there is a good Facebook page to help with these things (and of course @LadySeagull on here). https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrivateParkingTickets

TudorApples

Nov 4, 2019
Don't contact the debt collectors. They have no power at all and just use intimidatory letters to scare you, they will also not be able to give you details of the "offence". Contacting them just confirms that they have the right address!

Now probably just best to wait to see if you get a Letter before Claim or similar which means that the original car park operator has decided to take you to court at which point you can either pay up or fight.

As well as the Martin's Money Saving Expert site, there is a good Facebook page to help with these things (and of course @LadySeagull on here). https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrivateParkingTickets
Thanks for the advice!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had a charming FINAL REMINDER today from GXS Services Ltd looking to scam me for £160, after I parked for about 20 minutes in the Ladybee Marina car park on 17th September. I don't go there often and it always used to be free, so probably my fault for not seeking out their small sign, which it turns out was pinned to a fence, concealed behind other parked cars. My fault for not checking I suppose.

Anyways, this is the first communication I have received from them. There was no ticket on the car on the day, I've had no other letters from them, so this "final reminder" notice - with the inflated £160 charge from whatever the charge initially - is the very first I've heard about it. And now they're giving it the 'pay up in 7 days or it goes to debt collectors' spiel.

I've called them and left a voicemail to discuss this, but going by the plentiful Google reviews of this particular business, they never bother calling back or replying to emails. I'm probably stuffed, but wondered if @LadySeagull or anyone else has any advice ?

Pissed off, of Southwick.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Had a charming FINAL REMINDER today from GXS Services Ltd looking to scam me for £160, after I parked for about 20 minutes in the Ladybee Marina car park on 17th September. I don't go there often and it always used to be free, so probably my fault for not seeking out their small sign, which it turns out was pinned to a fence, concealed behind other parked cars. My fault for not checking I suppose.

Anyways, this is the first communication I have received from them. There was no ticket on the car on the day, I've had no other letters from them, so this "final reminder" notice - with the inflated £160 charge from whatever the charge initially - is the very first I've heard about it. And now they're giving it the 'pay up in 7 days or it goes to debt collectors' spiel.

I've called them and left a voicemail to discuss this, but going by the plentiful Google reviews of this particular business, they never bother calling back or replying to emails. I'm probably stuffed, but wondered if @LadySeagull or anyone else has any advice ?

I am going through something similar with GXS services. My advice don't call them and get in to an exchange over it, you cant appeal to the better nature of this company as they are just interested in pressurising you to pay up. Its also absolutely not your fault for not seeking out their small sign, in order to prove a contract with you and charge you it is their responsibility to make the T&C's fair and as obvious as possible. Inadequate signage = no contract and even if there was one in place there is absolutely no way they can claim that £160 is a fair charge.

Go to money saving expert and type GXS in to the search function, there are plenty of threads about them and none of them are complimentary! On that forum it also clearly lays out in the newbies thread what you need to do. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/parking-tickets-fines-parking

If you need any further advice then Lady seagull is definitely the person to speak with, I believe she is also a very prominent poster on the money saving expert site.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am going through something similar with GXS services. My advice don't call them and get in to an exchange over it, you cant appeal to the better nature of this company as they are just interested in pressurising you to pay up. Its also absolutely not your fault for not seeking out their small sign, in order to prove a contract with you and charge you it is their responsibility to make the T&C's fair and as obvious as possible. Inadequate signage = no contract and even if there was one in place there is absolutely no way they can claim that £160 is a fair charge.

Go to money saving expert and type GXS in to the search function, there are plenty of threads about them and none of them are complimentary! On that forum it also clearly lays out in the newbies thread what you need to do. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/parking-tickets-fines-parking

If you need any further advice then Lady seagull is definitely the person to speak with, I believe she is also a very prominent poster on the money saving expert site.
Cheers HTP, I'll have a gander :thumbsup:

Bald Head

Jul 20, 2022
Brighton
It's an outrage. It's extortion. It sounds like a good idea to practice reversing in a quiet car park. I know I did it - and I did it with my kids. These parasites are unable to turn a blind eye when they can screw some money out of someone. A plague on their houses.
And may the fleas from a thousand camels infest their underpants.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

don’t they have to get a CCJ before they can instruct debt collectors, or is it they need a CCJ before instructing bailiffs?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
don’t they have to get a CCJ before they can instruct debt collectors, or is it they need a CCJ before instructing bailiffs?
You are correct ‘Debt Collector’ is just what the companies that the parking scammers get to do the chasing call themselves. Unless they take you to court, win and then you refuse to pay, there’s not much they can do, apart from sending you menacing letters!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had a bunk up in my car in one of those car parks a while back.
I didn’t pay as I was a lot quicker than 10 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here