Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking charge - for practising manoeuvres

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Nevertheless there should still be a 20min grace period. The OP says they were there around 10 minutes. You dont have to give an excuse as to why you were there in the first place. You are perfectly entitled to drop passengers off. I do it at Shoreham most weeks. The OP could have been looking specifically for a space that suited their needs (whatever they may be) but decided somewhere else offered better choices. If they didnt overstay the 20 minutes they shouldnt have got a ticket. It should be thrown out.

Where are you getting the info that everyone gets free 20 minutes parking?

theboybilly

On the signs both at Hove and at Shoreham by Sea stations. Im always dropping off (or picking up) in the carpark at SBS. Never had an issue yet.
I also pick up at Coulsdon South in a minibus and check on the running of the train to make sure I arrive nicely in that ' grace' period. Again, never had an issue. All these come under Saba Parking

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
On the signs both at Hove and at Shoreham by Sea stations. Im always dropping off (or picking up) in the carpark at SBS. Never had an issue yet.
I also pick up at Coulsdon South in a minibus and check on the running of the train to make sure I arrive nicely in that ' grace' period. Again, never had an issue. All these come under Saba Parking[/QUOTE

Ah so only British rail car parks, thought you were saying all privately owned car parks.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I guess if it's one of those ones that marks your car as you come in and then logs your leaving time, it doesn't really matter if you park or not

That's an interesting point. If their regs refer only to 'parking' and their CCTV covers only the entrance then she would surely have a case. And so, come to think about it, would absolutely everyone else.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
We got a parking ticket in the car park up the side of Starbucks in Broadwater. I was already in grabbing the drinks, when my girlfriend entered said car park, turned around and picked me up outside. Barely even stopping. Two weeks later we got a letter with about 40 photos attached of me carrying coffee to the car!
So that was One Parking Solution Ltd at the entrapment zone roadway at Broadwater Street West. Well known 'scam' site and not one to pay, OPS being the local pariah parking firm in Sussex, as discussed many a time. The signage there isn't facing outwards and they film people covertly by CCTV.
The firm is run by ex-clampers and they are not worthy of any BHA fan's money.. I've seen case after case of ridiculously predatory ticketing from OPS in most cases. Watch out for their tiny black and white signs and drive away the second you see one, they are all over the place in Sussex because astonishingly, they are still clinging on to the BHCC car parks contract they first had as clampers when they were called 'Ethical Parking' (yep...).

Car Parking charges are a pain in the neck- we all know it, but if you wilfully misuse a car park,( driving around practising driving manoeuvres isn't using the car park properly) and don't pay the fee why come on here complaining when you get found out.

Because the private parking industry is out of control and the parking charges are absolutely extortionate for very minor transgressions, hence why the Government has stepped in and intends to set the lowest level at half what it is now (£50 instead of £100, and with 50% discount, same as a Council Penalty):

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...50-80-in-london-with-mandatory-50-discount/p1

There is a further and final Public Consultation to come this Summer - running for at least 4 weeks - so those of you who really get this ''outrageous scam'' (MPs' phrase, Hansard 2.2.18) please join me and put in your opinions and experiences (and evidence - the MHCLG like evidence) when that opens. The policy will then be set and there will also be a proper, independent appeals service next year.

Anyway, this is why people ask about private parking demands. Don't just pay them. This is not a fine.

It just so happens, it's as easy as pie this one! 100% slam dunk win v APCOA every time.

Let us know when they cancel (should be within 4 weeks, probably sooner) as this is one that the keeper wins by not saying who was driving.

To be clear, this is not always as easy but no lies are told and this involves a point of law and no underhand tactics (leave that to the soon-to-be-Government-regulated parking industry). The person whose name is on the Notice to Keeper (whether they were driving or not, and don't say here) should appeal online to APCOA as the registered keeper, putting in his/her details but MUST NOT TICK ANY BOX THAT IMPLIES HE/SHE WAS DRIVING.

Put in this appeal:

I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and the photos on the Notice to Keeper don't show any signage terms, nor any evidence of breach or what they alleged breach was. There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn.

Since your PCN is a vague template, if you choose not to cancel it now, I require an explanation of the allegation and your evidence and cause of action. You must include a close-up, in situ photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date and how you contend you will be holding me liable, given the lack of POFA Schedule 4 wording on the Notice to Keeper and the fact you took so long to post it to me. In addition, the location is not 'relevant land' so you cannot hold me liable. POPLA code or cancel, please.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
[MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] I've been lucky enough not to fall foul to any of these penalties, but I have read these threads over the years. I have to say, the advice and help that you give people on here is amazing. I've talked on here before about how I think NSC is a community, and I think you're a perfect example of that. And just in case it doesn't get said enough to you, thank you and well done, you really are an absolute superstar.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Love the idea of an aggressive car park!

There's one at Worthing Hospital . . .barrier hit me on the head on the way out on my scooter.

next time I go to worthing I'm going to sneak up on it and give it a chinese burn!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
[MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] I've been lucky enough not to fall foul to any of these penalties, but I have read these threads over the years. I have to say, the advice and help that you give people on here is amazing. I've talked on here before about how I think NSC is a community, and I think you're a perfect example of that. And just in case it doesn't get said enough to you, thank you and well done, you really are an absolute superstar.

Whilst this is 100% spot on, don't forget most of us post utter tosh most of the time ;-)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
So that was One Parking Solution Ltd at the entrapment zone roadway at Broadwater Street West. Well known 'scam' site and not one to pay, OPS being the local pariah parking firm in Sussex, as discussed many a time. The signage there isn't facing outwards and they film people covertly by CCTV.
The firm is run by ex-clampers and they are not worthy of any BHA fan's money.. I've seen case after case of ridiculously predatory ticketing from OPS in most cases. Watch out for their tiny black and white signs and drive away the second you see one, they are all over the place in Sussex because astonishingly, they are still clinging on to the BHCC car parks contract they first had as clampers when they were called 'Ethical Parking' (yep...).

Because the private parking industry is out of control and the parking charges are absolutely extortionate for very minor transgressions, hence why the Government has stepped in and intends to set the lowest level at half what it is now (£50 instead of £100, and with 50% discount, same as a Council Penalty):

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...50-80-in-london-with-mandatory-50-discount/p1

There is a further and final Public Consultation to come this Summer - running for at least 4 weeks - so those of you who really get this ''outrageous scam'' (MPs' phrase, Hansard 2.2.18) please join me and put in your opinions and experiences (and evidence - the MHCLG like evidence) when that opens. The policy will then be set and there will also be a proper, independent appeals service next year.

Anyway, this is why people ask about private parking demands. Don't just pay them. This is not a fine.

It just so happens, it's as easy as pie this one! 100% slam dunk win v APCOA every time.

Let us know when they cancel (should be within 4 weeks, probably sooner) as this is one that the keeper wins by not saying who was driving.

To be clear, this is not always as easy but no lies are told and this involves a point of law and no underhand tactics (leave that to the soon-to-be-Government-regulated parking industry). The person whose name is on the Notice to Keeper (whether they were driving or not, and don't say here) should appeal online to APCOA as the registered keeper, putting in his/her details but MUST NOT TICK ANY BOX THAT IMPLIES HE/SHE WAS DRIVING.

Put in this appeal:

I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and the photos on the Notice to Keeper don't show any signage terms, nor any evidence of breach or what they alleged breach was. There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn.

Since your PCN is a vague template, if you choose not to cancel it now, I require an explanation of the allegation and your evidence and cause of action. You must include a close-up, in situ photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date and how you contend you will be holding me liable, given the lack of POFA Schedule 4 wording on the Notice to Keeper and the fact you took so long to post it to me. In addition, the location is not 'relevant land' so you cannot hold me liable. POPLA code or cancel, please.

Love it LadySeagull. Very good info.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I think OPS are the ones who 'manage' the car parks outside B&Q/Halfords on the LEwes Rd. a few years back we used to rehearse at Brighton electric ad park there. it was after the store closed and the car park was pretty much empty . . . then one day we got a letter through the post with a very sketchy photo. . I don't recall the exact outcome but I didn't pay it!

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I would have thought they need to allow you at least ten minutes just read the terms and conditions? You park, get out, walk to the board (which could take a minute or two depending on how far it is from the space you found), then spend the time actually reading all the terms and conditions and make a decission on whether you want to accept them, walk back to your car and drive away assuming you don't agree to them.

If they don't allow you this time how can you be agreeing to something you have not read?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I would have thought they need to allow you at least ten minutes just read the terms and conditions? You park, get out, walk to the board (which could take a minute or two depending on how far it is from the space you found), then spend the time actually reading all the terms and conditions and make a decission on whether you want to accept them, walk back to your car and drive away assuming you don't agree to them.

If they don't allow you this time how can you be agreeing to something you have not read?

That is true and is part of the new statutory Code of Practice that the Government has drafted with the help of stakeholders, including consumer representatives.

However, this OP needs none of that and will win by appealing as keeper, as everyone can v APCOA and/or where the car park is a railway or airport, because both are byelaws land and not subject to keeper liability. Same is true of all the BHCC owned residential locations that they let OPS loose on, still.

Byelaws land and Council owned land are not included in the right to keeper liability, so these ones are dead easy, especially as APCOA choose never to use that law. Other firms who also don't bother with 'keeper liability' under Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012 include Horizon (Sainsburys), Highview (Tesco, also sometimes run by APCOA, LOL) and Smart Parking.

No keeper liability with any of them and my suggested appeal would work for all of those as long as the keeper doesn't blab about who was driving, which the law doesn't require.

I shall be glad this time next year when the Government hopefully have this rogue industry under control and I can concentrate on other good things in life and not have to think about why people shouldn't pay a rip-off £100 parking charge and advise people every day how to appeal and/or defend aggressive (but defendable) court cases. Even when I was working full time earlier this year, I spend a good part of my week reassuring people that they won't get bailiffs rocking up, no one comes knocking and that a court claim doesn't equal a CCJ.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

As long as I can remember (since they invented charging for parking, in fact) railway stations have always allowed 20 minutes free parking - to meet or drop off people or to buy advance tickets, etc.
At some stations - maybe all, I don't know - can only speak from evidence at Gloucester station - the car parking enforcement has been handed over to APCOA. I don't know how many peope they have managed to 'catch', but most people visiting the station would have parked up for a few minutes and done ther business well within the twenty minutes allowed and cleared off, as they'd done for years.
The small print on the signs now says that to get your twenty minutes free parking you have to key in your registration number.. Fortunately I happened to notice this before I got caught - but I wonder how many didn't.

........and to think some people still think that car park operators aere really illegal clampers that have found a way to go legitimate (not that I am casting any aspersions, of course)

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
As you've bumped this thread, I just helped someone get off an APCOA piece of toilet roll about the scam (very badly signed) 'taxis only' area round the back of Brighton station that used to be the drop off zone generally. APCOA gave up with one email appeal.

APCOA and Smart Parking are the easiest firms to always win against, at appeal. APCOA are particularly easy because they don't even put up a fight!

The statutory New Code of Practice is now out, soon to be implemented by the DLUHC:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...code-of-practice-and-enforcement-framework/p1

I was personally involved in this policymaking...I was the only co-opted consumer individual on the Steering Group (only just admitted that on MSE). I am happy with the new Code, as long as it's not unpicked by plausible suits looking for a platform without a dissenting voice.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Afternoon All. Hopefully a short answer to this. I was issued a parking PCN (stuck to windshield) in Brighton. The issuing attendant has entered the letter I where there should be a number 1 on my registration. As such the online payment system cannot find the notice when I correctly enter the details.

Does this mean I get away with it???

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Afternoon All. Hopefully a short answer to this. I was issued a parking PCN (stuck to windshield) in Brighton. The issuing attendant has entered the letter I where there should be a number 1 on my registration. As such the online payment system cannot find the notice when I correctly enter the details.

Yes

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

As is always the question - exactly where and also who issued the PCN ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here