Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parents who boast about their sprogs on Facebook

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can see that argument - that is an angle I hadn't thought about - although some of the goofy designs for these ('little princess' etc), don't exactly seem geared towards emergency services recognition!

I agree. Some of them are sickly but Baby on Board or Toddler on Board are a good idea imo.

I've got a genuine question on this subject (sort of) actually.

Every parent thinks their child is gorgeous, right? That's what they have to say, obviously, as it wouldn't be right for them to publicly admit that Little Johnny is anything but a candidate for Cute Kid Of The Year awards. But is that a genuine, genetic reaction, to think your own child is beautiful, or is it possible to realise that, actually, they are a bit odd looking, as the rest of the world sees them?

Not sure I'll get a truthful answer I guess, as I don't suppose any parent is going to admit it (fair enough!), but I do wonder if nature automatically makes you consider somebody to be attractive simply because you're physically related to them, or whether a human can actually recognise that their own offspring looks like E.T. Anyone?

Genetic, definitely. Babies, in particular, look really bloody odd. But when my daughter was born she looked perfect - it's only looking back now that I can see that she in fact looked just like any other newborn, i.e. weird, tiny and oddly-shaped.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Can I just add to the 'smug' pot the 'Baby on board' things in cars! What exactly is the point of these? It's not as if, being a driver behind one, I was thinking of driving up the back of them - but then saw the sticker and backed off...

They are for the emergency services should the car be in an accident.

Absolute tosh. So what if the kid is not present on that journey? Do you really think that the emergency services see that sign (which, btw the way, has probably been dislodged , or rammed into illegibility) and spend time looking for a child that may not be there rather than getting the driver etc out? Sorry but no.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As a member of said services (re Baby on Board stickers) I've got to say it's absolute tosh. It's standard procedure following any significant crash to check for persons who might have been ejected from the vehicle and be lying in a field, hedge or up a tree somewhere. We've used helicopters and thermal imaging cameras in the middle of the night to ensure areas around a crashed car are searched, just because that's what needs to be done. Not because there's a sticker in the car. Besides, most cars containing babies contain enough other detritus (child seats, toys, sun-blinds, discarded food, crumbs, bags of nappies, etc) to provide adequate warning that there might be a child present. Do the parents remove the sign when their child isn't in the car, so as to avoid causing confusion in the event of a crash? Of course they don't, yet that doesn't seem to send the Fire & Rescue folks into meltdown.

I don't really think they're about safety for a minute. I just think it's a case of prospective parents getting caught up in the whole excitement thing and buying just about every item they can think of, whether necessary or otherwise :) Come on, NSCers: I bet you all bought loads of crap you rarely if ever used...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I find it somewhat irritating. Don't have a problem praising their kids if they are on Facebook themselves. But when their children are not it just across as boasting and pointless. It used to be the case of Christmas cards and the 'letter' which amounted to the same thing. Who really gives a sh*t about little Johnny getting second prize in a spelling test or Sophie getting her Ballet certificate. Great. You made some children. Now your whole life evolves around them. Don't expect anyone else to care though...

Am I the only one who gets bored of this?
100% with you, it drives me fu**ing mad! People that live their whole lives online, fu** off no one gives a shi*!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There's one person on my list that insists on posting a couple of pics a DAY of their kids. They even go as far as to showing a collage of pics celebrating an arbitrary month. "It's XX's 31st month". Stop it you ****trumpet, no-one cares but you. Your child is ugly anyway.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Disagree. Its not appropriate ANYWHERE.

I go on Twitter far more than FB, its much more entertaining.

I agree. The great thing about Twitter is that enables you to see the opinions and views of anyone that might be tweeting about something that interests you - such as #bhafc - and doesn't restrict you to the opinions of people that you went to school with, who you never really liked or were interested in when they were younger.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It pleases me to see this "baby on board" bunkem dismantled for the BOBBINS it is. It serves no practical purpose other than to advertise the fact that someone on board has a fully functioning penis or ovary.

If anyone can find one instance where the emergency services have attended the scene of a crash MINUS the ubiquitous "Little Treasure On Board", cut the vehicle apart to release the unfortunate occupants in the front, but then gone off nee-nah whilst leaving a baby in the rear of the mangled wreckage, then please do provide a link.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Can I just add to the 'smug' pot the 'Baby on board' things in cars! What exactly is the point of these? It's not as if, being a driver behind one, I was thinking of driving up the back of them - but then saw the sticker and backed off...

I once saw a car sticker with the words "Caution. Blonde Thinking". Made me laugh and I certainly backed off...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There's one person on my list that insists on posting a couple of pics a DAY of their kids. They even go as far as to showing a collage of pics celebrating an arbitrary month. "It's XX's 31st month". Stop it you ****trumpet, no-one cares but you. Your child is ugly anyway.

Have you actually considered putting this in the comments? Chances are that they'll de-friend you, but then that's good, right? Besides, it'll probably be what everyone else is thinking.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I think the fact that the original 'Baby on Board' soon metamorphasised into 'Potential pro-footballer/pop-star but currently cuddly little terror On Board' says it all really

NB.....bargain for a nugget

bab.JPG

Last edited:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I've been on FB for 6 months and can't believe what a waste of time it is.
Can I add, "so and so invites you to play so and so." So glad I quickly discovered how to block this!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a member of said services (re Baby on Board stickers) I've got to say it's absolute tosh. It's standard procedure following any significant crash to check for persons who might have been ejected from the vehicle and be lying in a field, hedge or up a tree somewhere. We've used helicopters and thermal imaging cameras in the middle of the night to ensure areas around a crashed car are searched, just because that's what needs to be done. Not because there's a sticker in the car. Besides, most cars containing babies contain enough other detritus (child seats, toys, sun-blinds, discarded food, crumbs, bags of nappies, etc) to provide adequate warning that there might be a child present. Do the parents remove the sign when their child isn't in the car, so as to avoid causing confusion in the event of a crash? Of course they don't, yet that doesn't seem to send the Fire & Rescue folks into meltdown.

I don't really think they're about safety for a minute. I just think it's a case of prospective parents getting caught up in the whole excitement thing and buying just about every item they can think of, whether necessary or otherwise :) Come on, NSCers: I bet you all bought loads of crap you rarely if ever used...

Essentially it means:

HELLO REST OF WORLD.

I HAVE BRED.

I HAVE NOT, NOR WILL EVER DO, ANYTHING ELSE USEFUL OR MEANINGFUL FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, BUT I HAVE PASSED ON MY FOURTH RATE GENES. :lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's the ones that proclaim their love for family and friends - have a pic on a night out, 'I love you so much, best mum/sis/blah blah in the world (kisses/hearts/blah blah)'. Why do we all need to know, just let that person know directly!

It's like people i see most mornings on the train, they do a kiss every 30 seconds (not exagerating), with noise effects - just in case there were people that couldn't quite see. Ok, you're in love, whoopy do - are we all meant to be jealous of your exhibitionist happiness?!

If anyone posts that they have 'The best husband in the world' it means they will be divorced within a year.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The obligatory child standing holding their 'best work assembly' certificate, such a proud mummy and daddy.

Have they not worked it out that it just happens to be their turn or that they are usually so shit that any level of work that look remotely average will trigger this illustrious award.

It's a FACT that only the STUPID children are given awards.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

There's an app on Facebook that uses the pics in your Facebook album to make a 'video' of "The life of....blah blah". As if people are really going to bother watching something like that :facepalm:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
AND when most people are ill, some enduring quite severe treatment, they manage without feeling the need to post on SM whereas the posts where Little Johnny has had to miss his English Test due to a poorly sniffle is utter nonsense

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Have you actually considered putting this in the comments? Chances are that they'll de-friend you, but then that's good, right? Besides, it'll probably be what everyone else is thinking.

I'm concerned the parents will eat me. They're not picky when it comes to quality or quantity of food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here