Pardew has resigned?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Titanic said:
Is the view good from up there... on your high horse ?

:p

I have a very important moral code to run my life on :p

Shame with this situation, I like West Ham as a club, and their fans... just not the board of directors, and a certain Mr A Pardew. :angry:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I can't understand why people believe Madjeski should just roll over and let his manager leave. It really is traitorous to walk out for another club mid contract, so Madjeski is well within his rights to throw the book at him, or at least the League Of Managers code of conduct.

The League Managers’ Association code of conduct clearly states that managers cannot be poached from clubs in the same division. This was drawn up in the wake of the sort of experience that Madejski suffered nine years ago. Mark McGhee had shaken hands with his chairman to stay on as Reading manager, only to change his mind the next morning and take over at Leicester City.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I agree Willow, Id love it if Reading let Pardew rot till the end of the season. That would at least make other managers think twice before shitting on their contract.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It may indeed be churlish, but I have to say that, given the opportunity, wouldn't most fans want to stop a manager just buggering off and going to manage a rival?

We get to stand helplessly by and watch them up sticks and leave, and then come back for the best players, thereby undoing some of the good work they've done that got them noticed in the first place.

To actually be in a position to make things difficult for Pardew and West Ham must be nice.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Unfortunately, whether Pardew has signed a contract or not, he can hand in his resignation whenever he wants. It happens in any other field of work, so why should football be immune. Usually it is down to the needs of the employer as to whether they insist the employee works his period of notice, or is told to ' f*** off ' with immediate effect.

I don't really see what benefit to RFC there is if they alienate future prospective candidates for the manager postion. It will cast a shadow over any negogiations about contract & salaries, when the candidate realises if he wants move on he will be tied to RFC by a ball and chain.

When Horton left for Port Vale did Dick Knight treat him in the same way ? No he accepted that Horton was leaving and made the break as amicable as possible, and did exactly the same with Adams and Leicester.

Madjeski is entitled to protect RFC's interests, but to do that, he has to start talking to West Ham about financial compensation, and fully back Kevin Dillon in the short term, not enter into a petty and demeaning squabble with an ex-employee.

I'm afraid there is no place for morals in the professional game, and like it or not, money talks.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading

Money does indeed talk. Think about this scenario in a modern business... not all that different to football.

In many businesses, companies will find that members of staff will wish to leave to go to rivals. I remember when I worked up at Panasonic mobile-phone HQ near Thatcham, if an employer handed in a notice for resignation, due to particular knowledge of the firm which was confidential, they were not allowed to work for any company in the same industry for 12 months. The same applies here. Their wages though, were paid for that amount of time.

Albion Dan said:
I agree Willow, Id love it if Reading let Pardew rot till the end of the season. That would at least make other managers think twice before shitting on their contract.

Damn Skippy.

f*** him up!

His contract was quite reasonable, he was allowed to talk to Prem clubs, not rivals at the top end of the first division. Perfectly reasonable.

So when West ham came knocking and were rejected by his chairman he should have accepted that and got on with the job of guiding Reading, somewaht miraculously, into the Premiership.

This would have endeared him further to the Royals fans, and with continued success no doubt a bigger, more stable club than West Ham would have approached him in time.

So if i were Madjeski I would do all in my power to f*** the greedy judas up.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
True true jbl.

I hope this fucks his career, i am now of the opinion that West Ham should be made to pay Reading a lot of damages or that Madjeski shoul pay him for a while and f*** him over.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
"Come and join us, come and join us, come and join us over 'ere".

The anti-Pardew bandwagon is building, numbers increasing all the time... jump aboard the 15:30 from Reading station, no stop until Barking! :clap:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Alan Pardews loyalty isn't to Reading FC, it's to his wife and kids. Reading just pay the mortgage.

At the end of the day, and despite what we may feel as fans, football management, like any other kind of management, is a JOB, not a vocation.

He has as much right to severe his employment as Reading have of sacking him at a moments notice, which they are perfectly entitled to do. Crikey, if people can buy their way out of the Armed Services then they should be allowed to leave a football club.

And lets face it, if your going to apply the ' confidentiality ' arguement to managers, then why not extend it to players, directors, chief execs, chairmen, backroom staff ( who could do potentially even more damage ) etc when they move from club to club.

I 'm not saying I like Alan Pardew, but he is entitled to decide how he should earn his living and for who he wants to work. Jeeze, it's a contract of employment, not a marriage certificate !

Now sue West Ham for every penny you can get !

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
He will still earn his living, as Reading FC will pay him while on gardening leave. We recognise the importance of his family and the need for money. If we can prevent West Ham, a club in direct competition with us, from gaining managerial stability for as long as possible, then it makes business sense to do so if we are allowed. There is no moral code specifying that we cannot do that within our rights under law, or under values (if the quitter decides to take us to the European Court of Human Rights or the like).

We will sue, don't worry! !

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
From what I remember, McGhee broke what was a verbal contract to go to Leicester and Madejski was far from happy. I know it took years for the fans to let up on the fat scottish bastard.

Pardew was a two-bit nobody until he went to Reading, and his success is mainly due to the backing/money of his chairman, who is revered with almost God-like status in the town.

A lot of people are saying that Reading should let him go, these things happen in football all the time. But Madejski is a man of his word and I know he likes to play things by the book.

I fear Pardew may be kicking his heels for a while. Shame.

:lolol: :lolol:

tainan

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure if Reading decided to terminate the contract, and not Pardew, he'd be expecting them to pay up to the end of the contract, so why should he be able to end it and just walk away whenever he wants?
He should have thought about it when he signed his nice lucrative contract, and said 'no, I don't need stability, lets do things month by month instead' and no doubt he'd have been getting a smaller pay packet too.
Everyone else has to work their notice period, so why not Pardew? He should have got himself sacked instead!

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
I'm now struggling to see who can win at the end of all this.

Reading's season has just been f***ed up and West Ham's season continues to be f***ed up.

I think Pardew is over-rated so West Ham will remain f***ed up and if Reading appoint Sanchez - well I'll run out of expletives.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Reading Posh said:
I'm now struggling to see who can win at the end of all this.

Reading's season has just been f***ed up and West Ham's season continues to be f***ed up.

I think Pardew is over-rated so West Ham will remain f***ed up and if Reading appoint Sanchez - well I'll run out of expletives.

And if Barry Fry becomes our manager?!??! :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports