Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pandora Papers: Secret wealth and dealings of world leaders exposed

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Define "scare story"?

Though you're certainly correct about the Brexit vote in that assessment.
NSC definetly needs a Brexit Tourettes klaxon...

Back on topic, good to see that well known government propaganda machine, the BBC, alongside the Guardian, breaking this news story at the start of the Tory conference.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Back on topic, good to see that well known government propaganda machine, the BBC, alongside the Guardian, breaking this news story at the start of the Tory conference.

"Brexit Tourettes" just exists in your mind.

You have made it up as a way to insult people. Lol.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Yes the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists based in Washington decided to release the story about the secrets of international wealth in order to coincide with the Tory conference. :dunce:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
All the time the ‘people’ keep on with the delusion that voting really makes a difference, those with real power keep getting away with it.

Divide and conquer. It’s all a game. All the time the masses are focussed on Left/Right we’re missing the big picture. Throw into to mix any new “scare” story from time to time to keep the masses in fear, after all, fear has been used since the beginning of time to control people; religion, commies, Germans, French, Russians, Spanish etc. I wonder what current scares are being used to control people and make them comply to strict rules? Hmm.

Which strict rules are you/we being made to comply with ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What was interesting from all the Lux/Panama/Switz papers was that there were literally 100,000’s of rich Germans and French folk, living in France and Germany, engaged in offshore illegal tax evasion. Some eye watering sums per individual.

An eye opener to me. Naively, perhaps I listen too much to ‘bad news’ about this country, I had subconsciously thought it an English speaking world thing, plus the obvious likes of the former USSR and Italy.

Money corrupts.

In the lead up to the introduction of the Euro, wealthy Germans were making multiple crossings into Switzerland to convert Deutschmarks into Swiss Francs and thereby evade the taxman. I remember stories of cash being stashed in BMW hub caps, in fact anywhere to avoid being found in random checks). As you say, it is easy to believe the constant stream of bad news about this country (particularly if you read NSC where many posters see countries like Germany as some sort of nirvana).
Looks like it is still happening;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....re-resorting-smuggling-cash-271540.html?amp=1

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We don't need a klaxon. You always turn up like a fly round a :shit:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Or maybe Tim Davey hit the button to distract the plebs as the country literally falls apart before our eyes.

Scandal about some Tory donors (par for the course) and a bit of Blair is surely better....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Blair story is a bit of a non story in my opinion unless there is more to come out. I can't stand the man, but doesn't appear to done much wrong here.

Legally agreed. But morally you have to question his ethics. He was always very vocal against people using tax loopholes but he did nothing during his tenure to close them. Now, he uses one himself. Hypocrite is the word that springs to mind.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Forgive my cynicism,but it's going to be like the 3 previous leaks of these type of papers.
Nothing that damning gets released, a few billionaires get mildly embarassed, no one goes to prison, the rich carry on exploiting everything that they can,same as always.

This.

I think the most worrying news but still will be ignored, is the connection between Mohamed Amersi , a major Tory party donor and his connection to what US authorities declared as a "$220m bribe". This is a man who has "donated " £525,000 since 2018 ! his wife too is in on the act....Mr Amersi's Russian-born partner, Nadezhda Rodicheva, has also donated money to the Conservatives - more than £250,000 in 2017 and 2018.

Now how much does that stink ? Of course nothing will happen other than Mr Amersi gravitating to The House of Lords in the near future. Time and time again this happens meanwhile, back in the real world......

http://https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/04/food-banks-warn-of-smaller-parcels-due-to-hgv-supply-shortages

"Food banks warn of smaller parcels due to HGV supply shortages
Exclusive: declining stocks and expected higher demand for charity could see struggling families given less in their food parcels
"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You've missed something off: the public will either ignore it, register it but feel incapable of acting upon it, pick up on some insignificant detail about it (eg Blair) and anyone who does provide explanations for how to confront it will be dismissed as not having sufficient plans to be able to devise a new system or as a bunch of revolutionaries.

Completely this.

As an aside I find it amusing to see the extreme left and extreme right, and others who ought to know better, leaping about like toddlers on a bouncy castle every time Mr Tony's name is mentioned.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the lead up to the introduction of the Euro, wealthy Germans were making multiple crossings into Switzerland to convert Deutschmarks into Swiss Francs and thereby evade the taxman. I remember stories of cash being stashed in BMW hub caps, in fact anywhere to avoid being found in random checks). As you say, it is easy to believe the constant stream of bad news about this country (particularly if you read NSC where many posters see countries like Germany as some sort of nirvana).
Looks like it is still happening;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....re-resorting-smuggling-cash-271540.html?amp=1

Quite.

I don't really have a problem with people like Blair and Cameron making a few quid, after they leave office, on the back of their celebrity.

What I do object to is politicians accepting money for the party coffers in exchange for law changes that benefit the donors, while making laws to punish supporters of the opposition.

I also object to friends of ministers being handed lucrative contracts without any competitive tendering.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As usual there are no oligarchs or others from the 0,1% investigated in this.. just a bunch of golfers, the odd politicians, middle-bosses at big companies and big bosses at medium companies. Its nothing that is going to change anything, just a list of people you can say "shame on you" to.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Quite.

I don't really have a problem with people like Blair and Cameron making a few quid, after they leave office, on the back of their celebrity.

What I do object to is politicians accepting money for the party coffers in exchange for law changes that benefit the donors, while making laws to punish supporters of the opposition.

I also object to friends of ministers being handed lucrative contracts without any competitive tendering.

It could be argued that politicians like Blair and Cameron made a considerable salary sacrifice to be in politics. Politicians get it in the neck all the time but their pay is nothing like that in the private sector. I’m also not sure that Blair is corrupt. Irritating certainly but not corrupt.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Completely this.

As an aside I find it amusing to see the extreme left and extreme right, and others who ought to know better, leaping about like toddlers on a bouncy castle every time Mr Tony's name is mentioned.

Those bloody centerists with their reasonable, nuanced approaches, handing over control of monetary policy to the national bank, controlling inflation and interest rates, bringing down unemployment, being tough on crime in all areas of it and cutting NHS waiting lists.

Down with that sort of thing :rant:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Those bloody centerists with their reasonable, nuanced approaches, handing over control of monetary policy to the national bank, controlling inflation and interest rates, bringing down unemployment, being tough on crime in all areas of it and cutting NHS waiting lists.

Down with that sort of thing :rant:

Centerist PM's aimed at uniting the United Kingdom is so yesterday. What's more he did nothing for protection of statues?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here