Palarse first league game at Falmer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
I've heard a rumour that the provisional fixture list has our first game at Falmer being against Crystal Palace.
I don't know if it's true or not - I must stress that.
But it got me wondering, if Palace was drawn out to be the first game, would the club try to change it?
I think with the Murray transfer, the new ground and some bedding in period for dealing with large away crowds etc, as well as the fiery nature of a local derby, would the club ask for a different fixture to start with?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've heard a rumour that the provisional fixture list has our first game at Falmer being against Crystal Palace.
I don't know if it's true or not - I must stress that.
But it got me wondering, if Palace was drawn out to be the first game, would the club try to change it?
I think with the Murray transfer, the new ground and some bedding in period for dealing with large away crowds etc, as well as the fiery nature of a local derby, would the club ask for a different fixture to start with?

I would imagine the police would be very opposed to it.

The noise that day would be louder than Big Sarah's fanny fart at a Terry Connor appreciation evening.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It would probably guaruntee us BBC coverage, though. Good news for the ticketless fans.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Think it will probably be an evening game in late January/ early February.

Definitely won't be a Saturday early or late in the season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why would they even have BOTHERED doing a "provisional" fixture list ? We still don't even know who's in each division yet anyway.

Rubbish transfer rumours I can cope with, but please lets not have umpteen threads on rumoured first game opponents as well :rolleyes:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Worst. Nightmare. (Just in case we lost)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Palace will be 12pm Sunday when it is played.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
It'll be Coventry, Derby, Barnsley. Someone like that, FACT.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Why would they even have BOTHERED doing a "provisional" fixture list ? We still don't even know who's in each division yet anyway.

Rubbish transfer rumours I can cope with, but please lets not have umpteen threads on rumoured first game opponents as well :rolleyes:

This

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Definitely won't be a Saturday early or late in the season.

Why ? :down:

It may mean so much to us and a bit of forward planning by the old bill, but to the FA it is just another derby game and a midday kick off on Saturday or Sunday is viable. (leaves the rest of the day for the old bill & old boys to chase them round town) :smile:

D

Deleted User X18H

This is ball and locks. How can the provisonal fixture list be compiled when it is not yet decided if Huddersfield, Peterbrough, Reading or Swansea will be in The Champoinship?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Late start for TV, a whole days's drinking in the sun, running battles along the seafront, everyone gets in late due to travel chaos, Glenn Murray helicoptered in for his own safety, delayed kick-off, and a huge scrap in Stanmer Park afterwards with the new East Grinstead coach stoned. Yes, I can see the Football League and the police rubber-stamping that one on opening day.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Why ? :down:

It may mean so much to us and a bit of forward planning by the old bill, but to the FA it is just another derby game and a midday kick off on Saturday or Sunday is viable. (leaves the rest of the day for the old bill & old boys to chase them round town) :smile:

Because the police wouldn't recommend it and the club always liaise with our local constabulary about certain "high profile" games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is no way we'll get that as a 1st sell out fixture, way too much scope for problems. I can't imagine the Police agreeing either. I'd think we'll get Palace at home as a mid week mid winter game tbh

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
Whether this one fixture is true or not - as stressed I dont know, I just wanted to ask a hypothetical question - a provisional fixture list is done at this time every year with the majority of teams known. The play-off winners etc are then included once known.
The provisional list is then passed to the police, clubs etc for scrutiny and comment. For this reason, I agree that IF Palace was drawn out to be the first game, I would hope that the club and police would ask for it to be moved to a more sensible date and time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports