Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace on Talksport - nominated most cringeworthy club

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Did anyone else catch Talksport yesterday when Adrian Durham introduced a new feature? They started playing glad all over and Alice and I thought, 'here we go, a palace love-in'. Then Durham went on to say that he wants to nominate them as the most cringeworthy club around because of:

- their goal music (why do u need music to generate an atmosphere when you've just scored?)

- after the goal music, it gets worse. The announcer says in a cheesey voice, for example, 'and the goal scorer is Gleeeenn Murrayyyy' ...... Followed by him repeating the first name 'Gleeeeeenn' and pausing so that the Palace fans shout back the surname 'MURRAY!'.

- they've created their own ultras to try to be inter Milan

- he went on to say they should be banned from appearing in the prem should they gain promotion due to these embarrassments!

Not sure if u can catch up on Talksport if u missed it but it was on around 5:15 at a guess. Made my journey home very entertaining and couldn't help agreeing with Adrian Durham for once!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm surprised TheMajor didn't feature, banging on about their attendances :moo:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Did anyone else catch Talksport yesterday when Adrian Durham introduced a new feature? They started playing glad all over and Alice and I thought, 'here we go, a palace love-in'. Then Durham went on to say that he wants to nominate them as the most cringeworthy club around because of:

- their goal music (why do u need music to generate an atmosphere when you've just scored?)

- after the goal music, it gets worse. The announcer says in a cheesey voice, for example, 'and the goal scorer is Gleeeenn Murrayyyy' ...... Followed by him repeating the first name 'Gleeeeeenn' and pausing so that the Palace fans shout back the surname 'MURRAY!'.

- he went on to say they should be banned from appearing in the prem should they gain promotion due to these embarrassments!

Not sure if u can catch up on Talksport if u missed it but it was on around 5:15 at a guess. Made my journey home very entertaining and couldn't help agreeing with Adrian Durham for once!

Ha! Did he also mention their chairman getting involved in on-line spats with fans as opposed to setting up correct lines of fan communication like we've done? Anyway, Adrian Durham, top chap, always said that ... *cough, splutter*

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

This one, I hate. They do this at Arsenal too (except without the first part, they work on the assumption they know their scorers 1st names) and it's equally cringeworthy like their decision to force "The Wonder of You" on the fans as a club anthem!

Glad other people are now realising how tin-pot Palace are...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The post goal music and call and response announcer is really really terrible / cringeworthy. All a bit micky mouse, surprised they didn't mention the pre kick off eagle show.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Yawn. Petty man with deep insecurity issues given freedom of radio station to air his petty grievances in a wind up to get callers from Palace he can argue with. Is he themajor ??

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yawn. Petty man with deep insecurity issues given freedom of radio station to air his petty grievances in a wind up to get callers from Palace he can argue with. Is he themajor ??

The things he mentions are all a bit naff though aren't they?

Not many football fans would disagree with that.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

But he was right about everything he said, that's a first for Durham tbh. Nothing wrong with showing the tinpot noddyness of the stripey Nigels :lol::lol::lol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Agreed. But you must be a little bit embarrassed by all this stuff, especially the goal music?

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Could you imagine what the reaction at the Amex would be if they played 'praise you' after the 1st goal on Saturday or any music for that matter. I personally detest after goal music. You can't beat the noise of the massive cheer of a goal. You certainly don't need it transcending into a darts rendition as demonstrated at Reading. For me it's tin pot!! I also entirely agree with Adrian Durham on this one even with his reputation for being a wind up merchant.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Don't like Durham, but I like him slightly more now than I did.

I expect he's just jealous.

:lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
" Diddy " David Hamilton used to be pitchside and PA at one of the London clubs...methinks it was either Palace or Fulham. Is he still doing it and if so, is he the guilty party at Selhurst?
The ' stripey Nigels ' reference last night was hilarious ( made me burst out laughing in the car ) Just shows the disdain that Millwall have for Palace and maybe goes some of the way to explain ' the parting of the ways ' in the 70's....theory....
1) Millwall's reputation has always gone before them. They were fearsome, to say the least then and no young Palace fan in his right mind would have wanted them as their fiercest rivals.
2) Brighton ( although they could be tasty at times ) were not in Millwall's league. It was a better town to visit and a more even contest.
3) The young Millwall fans growing up ( already trained and schooled by their elders ) felt there was no challenge at Palace, saw their previous rivals turning their attentions southwards and turned to WHU, for ' a bit more action '
4) Ever since, Millwall have looked down their noses at Palace and the ' Stripey Nigels ' tag sums up the attitude perfectly.

I now plead with all BHA fans to adopt this moniker forthwith. Dispense with Palace or Palarse and forevermore refer to our friends up the road as........
" THE STRIPEY NIGELS "

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
There was a great moment in the 2002 Palace vs Albion game when Tony Popovic had a goal disallowed - they still went ahead with the goal music and the cheesy announcement "TONEEEE....." <silence>
The Brighton fans cheered. Very amusing.
Less amusing was getting spanked 5-0.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Could you imagine what the reaction at the Amex would be if they played 'praise you' after the 1st goal on Saturday or any music for that matter. I personally detest after goal music. You can't beat the noise of the massive cheer of a goal. You certainly don't need it transcending into a darts rendition as demonstrated at Reading. For me it's tin pot!! I also entirely agree with Adrian Durham on this one even with his reputation for being a wind up merchant.

It's only 'over Martin Perry's dead body' that we don't have goal music.

Perry retires in a year or 2. Don't rule it out after that...

By the way did Durham mention the massive number of EIGHT fans who turned up for the last meet a player evening?

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Adrian Durham is a class A tool. However, when he has his claws into a club he is like a dog with a bone and won't let go (relentless p*sstake of Arsenal etc) - so it could be good entertainment with our friends from the wrong end of the A23.

What is it with Crystal Palace & Talksport as Alan Brazil & Parry also used to mock Palace as Simon Jordans brother threatened them with violence and chucked them out of Selhurst I seem to remember.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Can't disagree with any of that. To our goons that think Ultras are "cool", take note the rest of the country thinks you are pillocks!

A Palace supporting ex colleague of mine emailed yesterday to thank me once again for Glenn Murray and the topic of conversation went on to smoke grenades/bombs following Bristol City acting up in Cardiff on Saturday. I mentioned that I had seen their "display" at Watford. His response: Cringworthy (sic) chavs. Couldn't have summed them up better myself!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here