Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace - just had a very interesting conversation

A spell in League one will sober them up and sort out their "hardcore support" , which they seem to be obsessed about. I am very much looking forward to this happening in the near future.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
The crux of the issue for most Palace fans, I would imagine, is that all this 'austerity' they are having to endure would have been way easier to put up with had it not been for our resurgence...

That's what I reckon anyway.

Could be right there - we all know football in cyclical, look at the likes of Swansea and Wigan. You're long overdue an 'up' period and we'll have to suffer it.

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
take it as it comes, and it has to be bha dream to play in the prem, just hope the fans a paitient as many seem to think that after last season its a sure fire thing this year

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I detest palace, but at least they give us someone to have a go at. Imagine if our biggest rivals were crawley.....................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sounds like Glenn Murray is about to have a season from hell.

Has he sacked his agent yet? So obviously a bad career move to join Palace. I'm sure the signing-on fee was handy but there's no way he'll get more money without moving clubs and being a bit-part player in a relegation-fodder outfit like Palace isn't going to help one bit.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Could be right there - we all know football in cyclical, look at the likes of Swansea and Wigan. You're long overdue an 'up' period and we'll have to suffer it.

take it as it comes, and it has to be bha dream to play in the prem, just hope the fans a paitient as many seem to think that after last season its a sure fire thing this year

I agree with you paulie, but I also agree with you too repomanse. There are a lot of our fans thinking promotion is a given this year. But I think there are a large majority that realise how hard this division is. Fair play to Steve Parish and co, taking this sensible approach.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
As for the OP, most correct except for the first bit about Murray, second bit correct.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Just spoke to a close friend of one of the Palace owners.

Interesting conversation, key points:

For next few years the club's only ambition is not for results on the pitch but to become financially solvent.

New ground plans will never happen. Totally resigned to making the best of Selhurst (but realising that is a very difficult job).

Keeping transfer fees and wages under tight control.

Trying to attract a larger fanbase. Hugely disappointed by last season's attendances. Worried that Crawley, Brighton and Charlton are a more attractive proposition for the next generation of fans, plus the general trend of new kids supporting Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc.

Know that they are now a long way behind the likes of Brighton in terms of their ability to attract players due to wage structure, ground, area and manager!! (In their words, Gus is gold dust on this front)

And finally, the board have been disappointed with the signing of Murray as he has not settled well with his team mates and Doogie is struggling to manage that. But will stick with Doogie as he is good at bringing young players through which is the cheap and preferred option.

Think your user name gives it away and you are having a "Giraffe" at Palace's expense. Believed most of it until it got to the Glenn Murray bit.:rolleyes:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
imagine us still having the goldstone (at it's very best) located within 10 miles of all those other london clubs,we'd be in exactly the same boat

i really don't see how palace will progress without a new ground,but i thought the same thing about us for years,so you never know

with the current state of pompey & palace,i can see the rivalry fizzle out and become more intense with soton over the next 20 years

How long have you been a Brighton fan? The rivalry with Palace has endured despite the lack of games over the last 20 years, 6 I think. The rivalry with Soton will never surpass that of Palace all the time they are in existence.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I agree with you paulie, but I also agree with you too repomanse. There are a lot of our fans thinking promotion is a given this year. But I think there are a large majority that realise how hard this division is. Fair play to Steve Parish and co, taking this sensible approach.
mmmm......you sure about that?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
How long have you been a Brighton fan? The rivalry with Palace has endured despite the lack of games over the last 20 years, 6 I think. The rivalry with Soton will never surpass that of Palace all the time they are in existence.

Absolutely this! That is what makes the rivalry such a good one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I wonder if we are Palace's most disliked rival again yet, especially in the eyes of their younger fans. I definitely got the impression that the younger ones saw Millwall and Charlton as more worthy rivals before we got to the Amex. Last season ramped it up again undoubtably, which was nice.

I think you underestimate the potential of the Southampton rivalry to be stoked up, especially if we meet them regularly over the next few years and Palace slide into League One or Two

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Having been a palace fan for 40+ years of which most have been in the second tier of football, its fine with me. The last little stint in the promiced land (premishite) was not that enjoyable to me..games all over the place knowing your going to get beat most weeks and being happy with a 1.1 draw at home to Bolton is not as great as you think. But most of all it was the few 1000 extra fans that turned up all of a sudden moaning and thinking we had a right to be up there!

Just a game on sat and the odd tuesday night does me..I have no higher ambitions, the last time nearly ended in tears, ask Pompy, swindon and a few other teams.

with a view to improving the ground, two stands are OK as I would have thought there in a big enough footprint on the 2 side for a vast improvement TBH.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The best option is for Palace to redevelop Smellhurst into the "Sainsbury's Arena"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds like a good plan, but I fail to see how they'll increase their fan base with that strategy.
True, it reads like The Withdean Years.

Still preferable to paying Liam Lawerence 28k a week.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
having no expectation this year in terms of promotion might actually work in there interest, pressure off and all that. might make them play more freely and get some results in.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I hope this works out for you as it all makes common sense and of course we need the banter which should be light hearted IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here