Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace - just had a very interesting conversation

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Very sensible but it doesn't exactly equate with all the expansionist bollox that Seaside is being fed as a Palace fan.......................... ???

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
That's probably one of the most sensible approaches to running a football club I've heard in a while. You've got to make sure you still have a club before you can set your sights on footballing success.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:rave: :rant: Palace binfest, Palace binfest, Palace ... Pa... :eek: :shrug: Palace adult conversation? :ohmy:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mothballed? Coppell, McGhee, Taylor?? Back to back championships???

In terms of player investment anyway. It was very much keeping the ship on a steady course. But yes Dick liked to invest in a good manager, but you can do that and do well in league one and two, but as we found it is not possible to do that in the Championship and stay up.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
New ground plans will never happen. Totally resigned to making the best of Selhurst (but realising that is a very difficult job).
I'm not convinced that they really ever intended to build a new ground. The plans they released looked like some amateur had knocked them up in a couple of hours. Released to coincide with the West Ham / Spurs wrangle over the Olympic stadium and a bit of PR to excite the fans with the intention of shifting a couple more season tickets.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I work in Sutton which should be decent territory for them to recruit supporters but it is all Chelsea here. My Palace supporting colleague told me yesterday that his latest bet is a double - Palace to gow down , Us to go up. Hope he wins!

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
it make sense lets face it without multi millionaires taking over, all clubs should live within your means, our academy is our life blood , which is great would rather have home grown players in the team than mercenaries. palace will battle on, every season for me is a case of staying up and if we can add a cup run in its a bonus

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
it make sense lets face it without multi millionaires taking over, all clubs should live within your means, our academy is our life blood , which is great would rather have home grown players in the team than mercenaries. palace will battle on, every season for me is a case of staying up and if we can add a cup run in its a bonus

Most people here won't disagree with you. It's your fanbase they have to sell that idea to though and they seem to be getting confusing mixed messages from Parish, the fat one, and DF.

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
Most people here won't disagree with you. It's your fanbase they have to sell that idea to though and they seem to be getting confusing mixed messages from Parish, the fat one, and DF.

most palace fans know the way it is , younger ones and new ones prob dream of the prem each year they soon learn

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
imagine us still having the goldstone (at it's very best) located within 10 miles of all those other london clubs,we'd be in exactly the same boat

i really don't see how palace will progress without a new ground,but i thought the same thing about us for years,so you never know

with the current state of pompey & palace,i can see the rivalry fizzle out and become more intense with soton over the next 20 years

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In terms of player investment anyway. It was very much keeping the ship on a steady course. But yes Dick liked to invest in a good manager, but you can do that and do well in league one and two, but as we found it is not possible to do that in the Championship and stay up.

Mark McGee did it. And look how some fans treated him :(

P.S. shock horror. Some sensible posts about palace involving both sets of fans!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I've always though the footprint of the Arthur Waite stand was very big.

If they generated the funds to build a new 'grandstand' there with all the prawn sandwich boxes etc, that would help them.

If you look at the aerial on google maps, you will see how frustrating the presence of Sainsburys and the modernish housing development (Wooderson Close) behind the main stand. Still You could still replace both side stands with fairly big modern stands, put another tier on the Sainsburys end and maybe have lower tier corners filled in.

It wouldnt have the same effect as a new purpose built stadium but would bring improved facilities and surely bigger attendances

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
The crux of the issue for most Palace fans, I would imagine, is that all this 'austerity' they are having to endure would have been way easier to put up with had it not been for our resurgence...

That's what I reckon anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here