Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I've heard lots of criticism of Freedman in the past. The players mentioned were pretty standard I'd say, hardly unearthing good players for good prices. Guehi and Anderson are decent but certainly not worth more than the fee paid - Chelsea with options on Guehi too I understand. Olise was a gamble due to his own issues I believe, hence there not being a queue of clubs for him at the decent price paid, but he seems to have buckled down well. Palace obviously suits him. Eze another standard buy. Nothing there beyond what anyone else could do, meanwhile Benteke got a contract extension at north of £100k/week only to shift him on for free after another unsurprisingly poor season. All very standard/predictable type transfers that aren't going to generate significant profit, definitely an improvement on the previous transfer approach but you'd be hard pushed to find anyone doing worse than before. As for not renewing contacts of the overpaid journeymen signed previously that's not exactly a ringing endorsement either -although an improvement on the Benteke saga certainly.

Football fans are a funny bunch, I recall so much hype about the donkey centre half signed from Liverpool for £30m when that was an extraordinarily high fee - until they realised what everyone else was saying about him after he left at the end of his contract. Awful buy. Not saying that Guehi/Anderson are of that type but are certainly overhyped by Palace fans.

We were doing so well :(

Benteke's new contract had wages nowhere near £100k/w, never mind north of it.

Olise was signed for £8m when we activated his release clause. Eze was signed for ~£16m. Guehi was signed for ~£18m. Even the most conservative of estimates would put their combined value well in excess of £100m if we sold them tomorrow.

I remember seeing Palace fans saying that you'd be very fortunate to get £30m for Cucurella. I thought that was silly at the time and it looks even sillier now, but I'm afraid your comments are in a similar ballpark.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
We were doing so well :(

Benteke's new contract had wages nowhere near £100k/w, never mind north of it.

Olise was signed for £8m when we activated his release clause. Eze was signed for ~£16m. Guehi was signed for ~£18m. Even the most conservative of estimates would put their combined value well in excess of £100m if we sold them tomorrow.

I remember seeing Palace fans saying that you'd be very fortunate to get £30m for Cucurella. I thought that was silly at the time and it looks even sillier now, but I'm afraid your comments are in a similar ballpark.

Mamadou Sakho - that was the one. He was the bestest ever defender too with you guys. Those figures confirm it (with the exception of Olise), no wonder there weren't a queue of clubs willing to pay those fees. No queues of clubs interest now either by the look of it. Decent players and with potential, but no ringing endorsement of Freedman.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mamadou Sakho - that was the one. He was the bestest ever defender too with you guys. Those figures confirm it (with the exception of Olise), no wonder there weren't a queue of clubs willing to pay those fees. No queues of clubs interest now either by the look of it. Decent players and with potential, but no ringing endorsement of Freedman.

I think you're being harsh. A combined £24m on Olise and Eze is really good business. I wanted us to be in for Eze at the time, and wish we had. Both excellent acquisitions for the money.

Agree on Guehi though - decent enough young player, but no bargain at the price paid.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I think you're being harsh. A combined £24m on Olise and Eze is really good business. I wanted us to be in for Eze at the time, and wish we had. Both excellent acquisitions for the money.

Agree on Guehi though - decent enough young player, but no bargain at the price paid.
Possibly, but that's mainly due to olise release fee, which was low. Eze wasn't cheap for a championship player and there's no clamour to sign him this window. Not saying any mentioned were duff signings, just that they don't demonstrate Dougie being some sort of transfer guru.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Eze is an excellent player. Olise is decent, too, but seems to drift in and out of games too much. I haven’t seen much of him, but that guy Ebiowei looks very promising. As for Guehi, I simply don’t understand the hype - he looks ok, but not exceptional. Not sure what Southgate sees in him (apart from the fact he’s a Palace player).

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013

Sakho was an excellent defender. A seriously classy footballer. You don't play 200 games at PSG + Liverpool unless you've got talent. In his first season he was the most obviously gifted defender I'd ever seen at Palace. The issue was that his ligaments were made of silly string, which is the only reason we were able to sign him in the first place.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013

I'm glad you're slightly more sensible than Mr. Arse, but I wonder if the blindness to the brilliance of Marc Guehi on this website isn't based entirely on one rather unfortunate bounce...

He made a couple of mistakes last season (as is to be expected) but had an extremely impressive debut PL campaign for a 21 year old, which led to him receiving his first three England caps.

As for him not being a bargain... How many full England internationals who start every week in the Premier League at 21 can you buy for £18m? We both know that since Ben White, the opening bid for any decent young CB is £50m. Leicester are rejecting bids of £70m for Fofana, and if that transfer does eventually go through then Palace will be using that value as a yardstick next summer.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm glad you're slightly more sensible than Mr. Arse, but I wonder if the blindness to the brilliance of Marc Guehi on this website isn't based entirely on one rather unfortunate bounce...

He made a couple of mistakes last season (as is to be expected) but had an extremely impressive debut PL campaign for a 21 year old, which led to him receiving his first three England caps.

As for him not being a bargain... How many full England internationals who start every week in the Premier League at 21 can you buy for £18m? We both know that since Ben White, the opening bid for any decent young CB is £50m. Leicester are rejecting bids of £70m for Fofana, and if that transfer does eventually go through then Palace will be using that value as a yardstick next summer.

The truth sits somewhere between the two views. good players yes but brilliant … I think not.
Oh and using being picked by Southgate to play for England as some sort of approval of brilliance is quite frankly bollocks. I give you Maguire, Mings et al …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
is there a buy back from chelsea on Guehi ? they seem to want that on everyone these days

No, thankfully. They've got "matching rights", i.e. if we accept a bid from any other club, Chelsea have the option to make the same bid and we're obligated to accept.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
The truth sits somewhere between the two views. good players yes but brilliant … I think not.
Oh and using being picked by Southgate to play for England as some sort of approval of brilliance is quite frankly bollocks. I give you Maguire, Mings et al …

It's not an approval of brilliance, it's a sign that the transfer fee would be large. Maguire made his England debut in 2017 and was sold for £80m in the same year.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's not an approval of brilliance, it's a sign that the transfer fee would be large. Maguire made his England debut in 2017 and was sold for £80m in the same year.

Maguire made his England debut in October 2017 about 3 months after his move to Leicester. Man Utd didn't buy him until July 2019. It took more than making his debut for England to get Man Utd to waste £80 million on him.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Quite how anyone at Utd thought Maguire was worth £80million is beyond me. He is a decent player but was sold on the basis of a spectacular year at Leicester, with a team that protected him and the goal but as one of the pundits on BT I think, said last year- he makes too many errors for an 80 million international. There have been some spectacular goals scored against Utd in the past few years but many of them wouldn't have even been attempts if Maguire had been in the correct position, and denied the attacker the position on the field.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You'll have a hard time finding a Palace fan who doesn't speak highly of Dougie. We had been spending an awful lot of money on players approaching the end of their careers as a sort of 'quick fix' under Pulis & Allardyce, but spent very little under Hodgson due to our wage bill being so high.

In the last two years, Dougie has been briefed with shifting under-performing high earners, reducing the average age of our squad & signing young talent that could be developed and eventually sold for a profit. He has excelled in every area. Our recruitment of late has been exceptional; the likes of Eze, Olise, Guehi, Andersen, etc. have been enormously successful in their first seasons for the club and are a large part of the reason that we're so optimistic about the future. When it comes time for them to be sold, I'd imagine we'll make significant profit on all of them.

You are a very long way from being in a position of selling players for a profit.
At the moment, the players you mention are too important, for you to consider selling.

Other than Wan Bissaka, I can't think of a notable sale in the last 5 or 6 years.
Even then, I think the money was just used to balance the books wasn't it?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
You are a very long way from being in a position of selling players for a profit.
At the moment, the players you mention are too important, for you to consider selling.

Other than Wan Bissaka, I can't think of a notable sale in the last 5 or 6 years.
Even then, I think the money was just used to balance the books wasn't it?

Don't get them started... They will be on about how their academy is much better than ours blah blah blah...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sakho was an excellent defender. A seriously classy footballer. You don't play 200 games at PSG + Liverpool unless you've got talent. In his first season he was the most obviously gifted defender I'd ever seen at Palace. The issue was that his ligaments were made of silly string, which is the only reason we were able to sign him in the first place.
He was busted at Liverpool, not up to it. What do we do? How can we shift him? Oh, hello Mr Freedman, so good to talk with you.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here