Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dunno what the odds were but palace are 9/4 fourth favourites for relegation.

(Albion 9/1)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Having hung up his boots, Vieira began his transition into coaching at Manchester City’s Academy, embarking on a four-year apprenticeship in management that included a spell managing the club’s Elite Development Squad.

He departed City for the States and the 2016 Major League Soccer season, taking up the managerial position at New York City F.C, who had finished 17th the season prior. He led them to second place in the Eastern Conference in his first season, with the side finishing fourth place overall. The next season, another second place position in the Eastern Conference was secured, and Vieira’s side ended overall league runners-up.

Vieira subsequently returned to France to manage Ligue 1 club Nice in 2018, securing a seventh place finish in his first season - one place higher than their previous campaign. In 2019/20, Vieira’s side placed fifth in a curtailed season, securing a Europa League spot in the process.

So seemingly a bang average record at a club in the notoriously weak French league, and a decent period in the MLS - the less said about the standard of that league the better. Still can't see any justification for being offered a Premier League job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So seemingly a bang average record at a club in the notoriously weak French league, and a decent period in the MLS - the less said about the standard of that league the better. Still can't see any justification for being offered a Premier League job.

He has some managerial experience, but yes, he's probably got the job largely on the justification that he was a top footballer. So pretty much the same as the likes of Keegan, Dalgleish, Hughes, Parker and Lampard, to name a few.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Acccording to the BBC, "Parish said he was "delighted"........."

Surely that should have been 'relieved'?

Well, looking at Sky, it seems that Beaky's PR person drafted Paddy V's press statement for him:

After being appointed at Crystal Palace, Patrick Vieira said: “I am really excited to have this opportunity to return to the Premier League, and manage this great football club, as we begin a new chapter together.

“It is a project that is really appealing to me, having spoken a lot with the Chairman and Sporting Director about their ambition and plans for the whole club including the Academy. The club has fantastic foundations in place after many years in the Premier League, and I hope we can make further improvements and continue to drive the club forward.

“I am also very excited to experience the atmosphere the club’s supporters make at Selhurst Park and away from home too, and I know just how important that can be for the team
.”

Great? :lolol:

Many years? :lolol:

But... Better give a nod to the prats in black eh? :ffsparr:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why would Palace admit they've lowered their standards because the got desperate. From Sky:

"Palace's initial preference was to appoint a manager with Premier League experience but with time ticking and a number of players contemplating their contractual situations, the club has relaxed its requirements to help speed up the appointment"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect he'll last longer than Frank De Feat but not by much.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
It is a glorious appointment... number 45 on their list, knows they offered it to numerous suitors before him... Lack of experience..and a total squad rebuild. What could possibly go wrong?

Palace are a shambles of a club.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It is a glorious appointment... number 45 on their list, knows they offered it to numerous suitors before him... Lack of experience..and a total squad rebuild. What could possibly go wrong?

Palace are a shambles of a club.

... and going into a job with the players knowing the Board grabbed him like the last bunch of flowers at a petrol station (or the last fried egg on the hotel breakfast buffet tray), the fans knowing he's not what they wanted and the manager looking over his shoulder before he's even started .... you couldn't make it up!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He has some managerial experience, but yes, he's probably got the job largely on the justification that he was a top footballer. So pretty much the same as the likes of Keegan, Dalgleish, Hughes, Parker and Lampard, to name a few.

You could add Sami Hyypia to that list!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You could add Sami Hyypia to that list!!
Yes - and Gary Neville, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Paul Ince. I never said that the qualifications would make him a good manager, just that he had the qualifications of having been a top player, same as many others.
Could go either way of course, though given how many managers turned the job down because of the state the squad is in, he's got excuses ready made should he fail!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
An interesting graphic from Experimental 3-6-1 on squad churn - obviously from the current standpoint, so may change rapidly if a load of those ex-Palace players re-sing.

You ugly churner.png

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Apologies if it's been mentioned but can't help thinking PV has been appointed (alongside other factors i.e. 95th of their list) in desperate kind of way to try placate Mr Tumble in any way they can. He's an Arsenal fan isn't he.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep no gloating from me. Despite the obvious gulf in overall club management they always do better where it really counts.

Nuts isn't it.

It's nice and quiet here without 'them' as they're clearly on the back foot.

So what do 'we' do about it.
We start baseless gloating, which if that wasn't bad enough we set them the lowest possible standard to reach in order to bring them back.

1 win in their first 5 games coupled with the inevitable home win v us and they'll all be back bouncing posts left right and centre.
While the 'victims' moan about them being here and trolling.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Apologies if it's been mentioned but can't help thinking PV has been appointed (alongside other factors i.e. 95th of their list) in desperate kind of way to try placate Mr Tumble in any way they can. He's an Arsenal fan isn't he.

I believe Mr Tumble is a lifelong fan of whichever club is favourite to sign him at that moment in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here