Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
It's an odd one because they do have decent players. I think Roy has been left behind as progressive coaches like RDZ and Postecoglou have innovated. Whether a new coach can turn it around is doubtful as implementing a progressive approach takes time. They've had two half-hearted attempts to modernise via De Boer and Vieira but Parish et al. have lost their nerve and reverted to the dullsville-biglumouptop-Ayewfallingover approach.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I had thought there were three teams way poorer than our Croydon cousins but they all
seem to be picking up points now. This is going to be Palace's squeakiest of bums time.

Of course they’ll spawn it late doors, but imagine being a Palace fan at the moment. Sat awaiting the usual financial skullduggery to push you back to mid table and then the usual 5-7 year steady decline back into the drop zone.

All whilst the stadium rots around them and the club infrastructure fails.

Meanwhile, on the South coast, your rivals are playing in Europe whilst comfortably retaining a Top 10 spot, getting stronger, investing in players and infrastructure and widely acknowledged as a leading example of how to run a modern football club.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's an odd one because they do have decent players. I think Roy has been left behind as progressive coaches like RDZ and Postecoglou have innovated. Whether a new coach can turn it around is doubtful as implementing a progressive approach takes time. They've had two half-hearted attempts to modernise via De Boer and Vieira but Parish et al. have lost their nerve and reverted to the dullsville-biglumouptop-Ayewfallingover approach.
Palace have been relying on a couple of superstars to bail them out for the past decade.
They always end up blowing the budget on bigger wages for their talismans.
This holds them back from actually developing a deep squad.

The biggest threat to Palace is the teams potentially coming up from the Championship next season.
If Leicester, Southampton and Leeds replace Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton, then Palace will be amongst the favourites to go down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Palace have been relying on a couple of superstars to bail them out for the past decade.

The biggest threat to Palace is the teams potentially coming up from the Championship next season.
If Leicester, Southampton and Leeds replace Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton, then Palace will be amongst the favourites to go down.
They'll convince themselves 'a year in the championship is exactly what we need', oh the poor deluded fools.

At least the actual palace fans will get their club back, so it's not all bad for them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surprised none of the usual suspects are on here telling us they’ll be ok………where have they all gone ? :laugh:

One of the most active threads on their forum is ‘Relegation’ :laugh:

IMG_6533.png
IMG_6532.png

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
What if Olise is the subject of, say, a £70m bid in Jan? Citeh and Chelsea were rumoured to be interested in the last window. Would Beaky cash in knowing that it would seriously jeopardise their survival hope losing their star player? And if he said no, could that risk Olise doing a moody one and going on strike a la Trossard?

These and other delicious scenarios are helping me sleep at present…

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex

It might be sqeaky butt time for us next season also if those teams come up. Injury situations seem to make seasons a bit of a lottery. It's in the lap of the gods for next season.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think they’re a poor side, but there are certainly three worse from Sheffield United, Luton, Brentford, Burnley and Forest. Hodgson is doing okay, I don’t know what Cooper will be expected to achieve. They have Olise and an out of form Eze… and that’s it.

They don’t have an injury crisis or anything, just a poor squad with precisely two bright sparks and nothing else.

They’re hugely unlikely to go out and spend big on players, so Cooper would basically have to come in and out coach Hodgson. I just can’t see it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yes they defended well for sure. But there was a clear lack of ambition, esp for the home team. I know we’re a little bit football snobby now but that was just horrendous. I remember us doing it in one of CH last games to Spurs (Erikson scored late) and I was honestly a bit embarrassed. At least show some intent to win… Their keeper getting booked at 1-1 at home v us says it all really.
Plenty of spurs fans said to me the day after I don’t know how you put up with that week in week out.

I returned the statement we we started beating them away

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I think they’re a poor side, but there are certainly three worse from Sheffield United, Luton, Brentford, Burnley and Forest. Hodgson is doing okay, I don’t know what Cooper will be expected to achieve. They have Olise and an out of form Eze… and that’s it.

They don’t have an injury crisis or anything, just a poor squad with precisely two bright sparks and nothing else.

They’re hugely unlikely to go out and spend big on players, so Cooper would basically have to come in and out coach Hodgson. I just can’t see it.

TBF until the last couple of games Palace like everyone else had an injury list as long as your arm, against Forest they had 8 of the first team out.

I believe up until the Brighton game Olise and Eze had only been on the pitch together for 25 minutes this season.

But in saying that a team with Johnson/Henderson, Guehi, Andersen, Lerma ( who I rate) Olise, Eze and Doucoure ( injured ) should be comfortably mid table., we have a couple of young starlets that Roy deems very reluctant to play which is a shame as they look good.

No striker and little (trusted) depth in squad, and Roy doesn’t look as keen as last season either !

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
TBF until the last couple of games Palace like everyone else had an injury list as long as your arm, against Forest they had 8 of the first team out.

I believe up until the Brighton game Olise and Eze had only been on the pitch together for 25 minutes this season.

But in saying that a team with Johnson/Henderson, Guehi, Andersen, Lerma ( who I rate) Olise, Eze and Doucoure ( injured ) should be comfortably mid table., we have a couple of young starlets that Roy deems very reluctant to play which is a shame as they look good.

No striker and little (trusted) depth in squad, and Roy doesn’t look as keen as last season either !
Loz - v balanced post as ever, thank you. Serious question…are you worried about Olise or Andersen being the subject of bids when January clicks round? They might not be sold of course, but they might well be unsettled if they are bid for. Has Beaky come out and said no sales or anything like that?

Reactions: loz

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

After a decade in the top tier, you shouldn't be relying on a mid table first 11 with precious little behind it.
You just don't have a deep enough squad., or a manager prepared to take a chance on the kids.
The next manager will need to be backed, to prevent the cycle repeating.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
While I'm enjoying looking at the current league table and my Palace mates having a sore neck while looking over their shoulders, let's be honest draws at West Ham and City away highlights they are good enough to stay up. They should have got a point at Chelsea.
Roy has them organised, they nearly beat us, a win would not have been deserved but they are happy to give away possession and play off the break which suits them with pace up top.
Palace STH's I know want Roy and Parrish out but I'm not so sure that now is the time for change.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
To answer both, players come and go Andersen has not been that good this season so if a big bid came in, as they say “ I would drive him there myself” any sane Palace fan knows we only have Olise for a short time.

Yes we all hoped after a decade the whole squad would have deeper depth, but there we go. I really hope the next manager does dip into the U23 and even the u18s, like most fans I much prefer home grown players failing than expensive buys failing 😁

It’s about now I start looking for the fixtures I can make watching Sussex, so looking forward to watching Sussex playing at Lords this summer. Life’s all good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had thought there were three teams way poorer than our Croydon cousins but they all
seem to be picking up points now. This is going to be Palace's squeakiest of bums time.

Of course they’ll spawn it late doors, but imagine being a Palace fan at the moment. Sat awaiting the usual financial skullduggery to push you back to mid table and then the usual 5-7 year steady decline back into the drop zone.

All whilst the stadium rots around them and the club infrastructure fails.

Meanwhile, on the South coast, your rivals are playing in Europe whilst comfortably retaining a Top 10 spot, getting stronger, investing in players and infrastructure and widely acknowledged as a leading example of how to run a modern football club.

Jesus Christ man it's Christmas, why be so mean?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
against Forest they had 8 of the first team out.

Against Forest you had:
Johnstone
Clyne
Andersen
Guehi
Mitchell
Schlupp
Hughes
Riedewald
Ayew
Mateta
Edouard

and Richards came on.

So you were missing Olise and Eze, Lerma.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still think Palace have more than enough to stay up. My Palace supporting workmate, however, thinks they are dog shit at the moment.

The thing about the EPL this season is that everyone, apart from Sheffield United, look capable of wins. So who knows?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Starting to feel for Roy - just needs to retire and enjoy it now…

He literally said in last nights interview they were 6 points off relegation, when it’s actually 3. Their fans going mental about it…!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Against Forest you had:
Johnstone
Clyne
Andersen
Guehi
Mitchell
Schlupp
Hughes
Riedewald
Ayew
Mateta
Edouard

and Richards came on.

So you were missing Olise and Eze, Lerma.
Ward at that time was first choice before injury , Riedewald, Hughes, Schlupp are all second choice midfielders, Edouard was playing injured and is not a winger. 5 kids on the bench.
At the time most of us thought 0.0 was a good result…that’s what I am saying about depth.

From the bench Ozoh , Ediowei and Rak-saki are highly rated I wish we played them more often. And I had never heard of Ola-Adebomi TBH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here