Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you honestly believe that BHA's absolutely dire circumstances in 1997 was all "hype", and that there was no danger of BHA's imminent demise, then you're either ignorant of the facts or on a bit of a wind-up. Either way, its derailing a thread which should be in celebration of the hapless south London goonshow up the road.
To get us back on track. Palace went up to the EPL in the play offs that year. The following year we finished 91st again. Over that season, in all the four divisions, only Doncaster and one other team finished with less than the 35 points we managed. Any guesses?

To be fair, back then, even finishing rock bottom of the EPL, they were 71 places ahead of us in the pyramid. They can't say that we didn't give them a start.

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
To get us back on track. Palace went up to the EPL in the play offs that year. The following year we finished 91st again. Over that season, in all the four divisions, only Doncaster and one other team finished with less than the 35 points we managed. Any guesses?

To be fair, back then, even finishing rock bottom of the EPL, they were 71 places ahead of us in the pyramid. They can't say that we didn't give them a start.
I wish I could give an extra "like" for rising above the trolling.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yer thats why I always find the Brighton were on the verge of extinction narrative quite funny when we played Hereford. No reason we couldnt have come back if we went down.
We wouldn't have from that, the council didn't want a football team, the Football Conference wouldn't have excepted a homeless financial basket case and that would've been that. Yes, a Brighton City or Hove Albion may have popped up but it wouldn't have been our club with our heritage

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Very quiet recently on this thread from our chums up the A23

Must be too busy packing for Europe and dusting off their passports.

Funny you should say that as I am on the beach in Lanzarote.

I actually forgot it was Saturday and only found out the result on Sunday…shrugged my shoulders and carried on, I didn’t expect much from this season and will be proved about right.

I find football in general a bit boring at the moment except for my non league side who are have a ok season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I actually forgot it was Saturday and only found out the result on Sunday…shrugged my shoulders and carried on, I didn’t expect much from this season and will be proved about right.

I find football in general a bit boring at the moment except for my non league side who are have a ok season.

Have to say I kind of agree, I love The Albion, but I'm so much closer and "engaged" with my non-league club. I guess that's The Premier League for us, it's always going to be more about money, facilities etc, and a non-league club lives hand to mouth.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Palace fan on the beach in Lanzarote - nothing better to do than spend time on Brighton fans' forum.

What a bizarre world we live in.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You assume. They had been asked the question and hadn't given a positive response. I guess that they couldn't, because their members would have had to agree and hadn't discussed.

It was called the 3rd Division, not the 4th by then. The Football League and the National League are different competitions with different rules. As we stayed up, we faced a vote at a football league AGM deciding whether to accept us for the following season. We needed 75% or more to stay in the league. Of 72 clubs, 17 voted to chuck us out. We got 76.388%*. Two more votes against and we would not have been allowed to compete in the EFL and, regardless of the result at Edgar Street, would have had to go and ask the National League clubs at their AGM.

*(Edited because my original maths was based on 92 members, when there were actually 72 as the FA Premier League is another competition and their members wouldn't have voted).

Not sure if im correct but the reason for the vote was because we upto that point had not put up the £500k to Guarantee we Fulfill all our fixtures.

Do we know for sure what clubs voted against us?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only fact I dispute is that it would have made a difference whether we were in the 4th or 5th division. And no one on this thread has convinced me otherwise. Yes obviously we were in dire straits.
Something at the back of my mind tells me something about the rules of the National League (or Conference or whatever it was then) not allowing clubs without a ground to join, no ground sharing or something, so we would not have been allowed into 'division 5' if we had finished 92nd. in the league - so not only would we have had no ground, but no league to play in either (without dropping to something like the Isthmian League or somewhere). Something like that, anyway.
Somebody more ITK on this board will doubtless be along shortly to correct me if my memory is false!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dwayne stirring the pot, surprise! :rolleyes:

Being as we finished 91st again the following season (courtesy of a pub-side Doncaster), quite apart from not having a ground, its a VERY long shot to assume that we'd have just bounced back up from non-league any time soon had we not survived at Hereford.

It was a sliding doors moment. Right now, we could easily at best be an Aldershot.
Now that is a horrible thought

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course the conference would have taken us ! And whether we were in the conference or the 4th division we didnt have a home so what difference does that make.

No EFL income, to a club relying on 2,000 punters at Priestfield (less rent paid to Scally).

Bloom’s serious financial backing was 12 years away.

In addition BHBC behind the scenes didn’t want the club back, league status/kudos to the town helped the argument.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Loving the fact that two Palace fans have reminded me today that we're going to get spanked in Europe ... oh the irony!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
26 years on, the club brings in hundreds of millions of pounds to the local economy, and are given the freedom of the city!
There must have been quite a few short sighted tossers on the Council back then .

You can imagine what they must think now, although they probably don't care still. A generation missing out on local football and the very real possibility that lads and lasses from Brighton would head to London, Crawley or Hampshire to watch their football!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here