Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
whilst I am not a particular fan of Luton, and would shed no tears at their relegation , 9 years from non league to Premier is an outstanding achievement
Yer thats why I always find the Brighton were on the verge of extinction narrative quite funny when we played Hereford. No reason we couldnt have come back if we went down.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yer thats why I always find the Brighton were on the verge of extinction narrative quite funny when we played Hereford. No reason we couldnt have come back if we went down.
Were you asleep when we sat bottom of the league without anywhere to play and the Conference wouldn't confirm that they would even accept us the following season?

Hereford United were disolved in 2014.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Were you asleep when we sat bottom of the league without anywhere to play and the Conference wouldn't confirm that they would even accept us the following season?

Hereford United were disolved in 2014.
Of course the conference would have taken us ! And whether we were in the conference or the 4th division we didnt have a home so what difference does that make.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Of course the conference would have taken us !
You assume. They had been asked the question and hadn't given a positive response. I guess that they couldn't, because their members would have had to agree and hadn't discussed.

And whether we were in the conference or the 4th division we didnt have a home so what difference does that make.
It was called the 3rd Division, not the 4th by then. The Football League and the National League are different competitions with different rules. As we stayed up, we faced a vote at a football league AGM deciding whether to accept us for the following season. We needed 75% or more to stay in the league. Of 72 clubs, 17 voted to chuck us out. We got 76.388%*. Two more votes against and we would not have been allowed to compete in the EFL and, regardless of the result at Edgar Street, would have had to go and ask the National League clubs at their AGM.

*(Edited because my original maths was based on 92 members, when there were actually 72 as the FA Premier League is another competition and their members wouldn't have voted).

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By the way. Of the 17 who voted against we can probably assume that one was Leyton Orient as Hearn had already lobbied for our expulsion. I'd be interested to know who the others were. In 'We Want Falmer' Dick Knight said that there a lot of people who stood up at the meeting, "Some well-known chairmen, who put the knife into Brighton." Plymouth's Dan McCauley spoke strongly in our favour.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dwayne stirring the pot, surprise! :rolleyes:

Being as we finished 91st again the following season (courtesy of a pub-side Doncaster), quite apart from not having a ground, its a VERY long shot to assume that we'd have just bounced back up from non-league any time soon had we not survived at Hereford.

It was a sliding doors moment. Right now, we could easily at best be an Aldershot.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dwayne stirring the pot, surprise! :rolleyes:

Being as we finished 91st again the following season (courtesy of a pub-side Doncaster), quite apart from not having a ground, its a VERY long shot to assume that we'd have just bounced back up from non-league any time soon had we not survived at Hereford.

It was a sliding doors moment. Right now, we could easily at best be an Aldershot.
Maybe. But bmuff did it with no money so my original point stands, staying up didn't seem like the be all and end all now or then.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm sorry, but it bloody well did. I can only assume you weren't there.
It did because you got swept up in the hype like everyone else at the time. Tbh this was the correct way to think as this backs against the wall mentality was what kept us up.

Reminder that Wigan and Blackpool also went from non league to the premier league !!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It did because you got swept up in the hype like everyone else at the time. Tbh this was the correct way to think as this backs against the wall mentality was what kept us up.

Reminder that Wigan and Blackpool also went from non league to the premier league !!
Wrong about Blackpool too. They've been members of the Football League since the 19th century. Wimbledon and Wigan both joined in the 1970s and ended up playing in the EPL.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

If you honestly believe that BHA's absolutely dire circumstances in 1997 was all "hype", and that there was no danger of BHA's imminent demise, then you're either ignorant of the facts or on a bit of a wind-up. Either way, its derailing a thread which should be in celebration of the hapless south London goonshow up the road.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If you honestly believe that BHA's absolutely dire circumstances in 1997 was all "hype", and that there was no danger of BHA's imminent demise, then you're either ignorant of the facts or on a bit of a wind-up. Either way, its derailing a thread which should be in celebration of the hapless south London goonshow up the road.
The only fact I dispute is that it would have made a difference whether we were in the 4th or 5th division. And no one on this thread has convinced me otherwise. Yes obviously we were in dire straits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here