Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace crowd

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
To be honest all this "we've got the best fans" stuff bores me after a while. You end up eating your own words given enough time.

It's great we get 20k to games even when down at the bottom but where were they on cold and rainy nights at Withdean? If (please no) we get relegated then it will be telling to see what gates we get then.

Equally, we could easily end up with the cheesy stuff during games. I note we now have Ring of Fire right after GOSBTS - cue scarf waving. Not the worst thing in the world and does raise the atmosphere but we have also had clackers or whatever they were called. Proof the powers that be are not adverse to the odd slice of cheese....

All I am saying is that who knows what we may end up seeing and hearing at games. Could we really accuse others of having fickle fans if 13k either starting coming every week if we were in the PL or 10k stopped coming if we are in L1?

There have been some really good points about the merits of certain fan bandwagons and the impression that some groups wish to present to the outside world but to me the world of football fans is just like the rest of life. There are some good people and some bad people. There are decent people and idiots. Sometimes people cross between the two sides of the equation.

I say just let Palace get on with supporting their club and us supporting ours. Just so long as each respects people on the other side that merit respect I really don't care. Of course, any moronic troll deserves everything they get.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
View attachment 63270

But how many will still pay the inevitable price rise?

Unfortunately, the bottom line (which read "Share the wealth, pigs") is omitted from that photo.

Generous lot, Palace fans, it's well documented that they enjoy sharing their wealth with footballers. Usually in the direction of said player's head, whilst celebrating a goal or taking a corner.

2596447F00000578-2950015-The_Newcastle-a-21_1423700542749.jpg

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Unfortunately, the bottom line (which read "Share the wealth, pigs") is omitted from that photo.

Generous lot, Palace fans, it's well documented that they enjoy sharing their wealth with footballers. Usually in the direction of said player's head, whilst celebrating a goal or taking a corner.

View attachment 63286

There's idiots at all clubs Edna, whether throwing coins or racist chanting.
Heard yesterday that they have CCTV footage of the culprit, so he'll be getting a knock at the door soon.
Shouldn't tarnish everyone with the same brush though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I can only remember them sharing their debts.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's idiots at all clubs Edna, whether throwing coins or racist chanting.
Heard yesterday that they have CCTV footage of the culprit, so he'll be getting a knock at the door soon.
Shouldn't tarnish everyone with the same brush though.

Jeez, it was a joke :wave:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
To be honest all this "we've got the best fans" stuff bores me after a while. You end up eating your own words given enough time.

It's great we get 20k to games even when down at the bottom but where were they on cold and rainy nights at Withdean? If (please no) we get relegated then it will be telling to see what gates we get then.

Equally, we could easily end up with the cheesy stuff during games. I note we now have Ring of Fire right after GOSBTS - cue scarf waving. Not the worst thing in the world and does raise the atmosphere but we have also had clackers or whatever they were called. Proof the powers that be are not adverse to the odd slice of cheese....

All I am saying is that who knows what we may end up seeing and hearing at games. Could we really accuse others of having fickle fans if 13k either starting coming every week if we were in the PL or 10k stopped coming if we are in L1?

There have been some really good points about the merits of certain fan bandwagons and the impression that some groups wish to present to the outside world but to me the world of football fans is just like the rest of life. There are some good people and some bad people. There are decent people and idiots. Sometimes people cross between the two sides of the equation.

I say just let Palace get on with supporting their club and us supporting ours. Just so long as each respects people on the other side that merit respect I really don't care. Of course, any moronic troll deserves everything they get.

Fantastic Post agree 100%.

I have set most Palace posters on here to ignore as I really don't care what they think of the Albion or their fans.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

You talk some sense, but that stuff about "where were they at Withdean" is nonsense for the following reasons 1) most years at Withdean were in League 1 and we had respectable crowds for that level 2) Withdean regularly sold out and as a non-season ticket holder I often couldn't get in to games I wanted to see 3) Withdean was a very poor fan experience and I got soaked to the skin there many times. Many people and parents just couldn't face going there often 4) Many people like me did not go to every game and so if we averaged 7,000 that was not the same 7,000 people for every home game. Once we got a decent stadium I became a ST holder 5) Many long term Albion fans got out of the habit of going regularly going due to all the trauma and the Gillingham years, but they rediscovered their club after it rebuilt itself. So good - what is the problem?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You talk some sense, but that stuff about "where were they at Withdean" is nonsense for the following reasons 1) most years at Withdean were in League 1 and we had respectable crowds for that level 2) Withdean regularly sold out and as a non-season ticket holder I often couldn't get in to games I wanted to see 3) Withdean was a very poor fan experience and I got soaked to the skin there many times. Many people and parents just couldn't face going there often 4) Many people like me did not go to every game and so if we averaged 7,000 that was not the same 7,000 people for every home game. Once we got a decent stadium I became a ST holder 5) Many long term Albion fans got out of the habit of going regularly going due to all the trauma and the Gillingham years, but they rediscovered their club after it rebuilt itself. So good - what is the problem?

absolutely this.

Although you are being generous to Withdean. It was a SHOCKING football experience. Still we went.

Working class pride is a bit of a stuck record but in some cases he is right. Top of the Championship Palace fans weren't really bothered. And they did **** all when the shit hit the fan.

Feb 14, 2010

I dont think anyone has said that. We are just pointing out how daft the press can be to say what a fabulous support a club like palace have when they are support who didnt turn up when in the championship and who think that banging a drum is how to support a football team. You just cant say that to Brighton fans after the campaign launched in "the civil war years" and who have a support bigger than the palace support despite playing lower league football badly. Palace are being patronised as were Bradford. Brighton are a bit more English rather than American in their outlook. Maybe its the American nature of the palace support that the press like. Either way, for palace support to be taken seriously then they should have turned up in the Championship. 12000 for a top of the table Championship clash against a well supported Cardiff and a year or so later they are the best supporters in the world. Yeah right.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
absolutely this.

Although you are being generous to Withdean. It was a SHOCKING football experience. Still we went.

Working class pride is a bit of a stuck record but in some cases he is right. Top of the Championship Palace fans weren't really bothered. And they did **** all when the shit hit the fan.

If you say it enough, some people will start believing it.
In all my years of supporting Palace, apart from a few seasons in the old Div 1, I can't for the life of me think of anyone would class Brighton of being a big club with a big fan base.
Most of you know that the Withdean wasn't sold out each week, the truth is lots of you couldn't be bothered to rough it.
It's best to leave WCP in his nostalgic bubble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here