Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owlsonline preview

theboybilly

And they brought 755 fans to that evening game.

We took 902 to nearby Doncaster, 766 to Bolton who are a little further away, 1,135 to wigan a little further away, but they were all saturday games. Burnley on a Tuesday night we only took 248. The only other midweek evening game away we've had is v QPR where we took 1,800, but that is a lot easier to get to and home from.

To be fair there are more likely a lot more Wednesday fans living and working in the South East of England than Brighton supporters in South Yorkshire.
I would have gone up had my shift pattern allowed this week but I would have made it an overnight stay. Sheffield is one of my favourite away games (together with the Bramall Lane of course) it's just a shame it's midweek.

Just for balance, posted by a moderator I think:

To be honest, apart from the numpties on there who foolishly disparage our 91 League Cup win as being meaningless (when we all know it was won when ALL the teams in the football league tried their utmost to win it) and lie that the pigs routinely attract bigger crowds than us, some of their fans make valid points about the preview content, and to be honest, its too often snide tone.
Brighton aren't a small club - they regularly attracted 20,000+ crowds in the 70s/80s when Peter Ward, Tony Grealish, Jimmy Case etc. were club mainstays - they've been a decent sized club having to squat in grounds too small for their fanbase thanks to the antics of previous boards and the local council. Yes, no doubt they've got a fair proportion of gloryhunters attracted back by success and a shiny new stadium, but there's also a substantial hardcore of fans who've endured a lot of crap being forced out of their traditional home to Gillingham and the Withdean - the kind that kept their club alive and deserve the relative success they're enjoying now. They deserve more credit than they're given in the preview.

As for the homophobic comments that crop up whenever we play Brighton, they're more than a bit tired now, and only serve to diminish this site and makes us Wednesday fans look no better than the thargs at the piggery that we regularly lambast for their ignorant and blinkered views. Time to grow up maybe?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

To be honest, apart from the numpties on there who foolishly disparage our 91 League Cup win as being meaningless (when we all know it was won when ALL the teams in the football league tried their utmost to win it) and lie that the pigs routinely attract bigger crowds than us, some of their fans make valid points about the preview content, and to be honest, its too often snide tone.
Brighton aren't a small club - they regularly attracted 20,000+ crowds in the 70s/80s when Peter Ward, Tony Grealish, Jimmy Case etc. were club mainstays - they've been a decent sized club having to squat in grounds too small for their fanbase thanks to the antics of previous boards and the local council. Yes, no doubt they've got a fair proportion of gloryhunters attracted back by success and a shiny new stadium, but there's also a substantial hardcore of fans who've endured a lot of crap being forced out of their traditional home to Gillingham and the Withdean - the kind that kept their club alive and deserve the relative success they're enjoying now. They deserve more credit than they're given in the preview.

As for the homophobic comments that crop up whenever we play Brighton, they're more than a bit tired now, and only serve to diminish this site and makes us Wednesday fans look no better than the thargs at the piggery that we regularly lambast for their ignorant and blinkered views. Time to grow up maybe?

That's a good riposte - glad it was a Wednesday fan that said it.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
For such a big club, they seem to spend an awful lot of time flirting with the second tier relegation zone, don't they. Move over Bayern, the new world superpower has emerged :rolleyes:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Two-part tweet from Owls Online: "Regarding the first draft of the preview that was posted earlier. We apologise unreservedly for any upset caused. It was never the intention of the writer and Owlsonline. Thanks to all who have been in touch, your comments have been noted. @FvHtweets"

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Two-part tweet from Owls Online: "Regarding the first draft of the preview that was posted earlier. We apologise unreservedly for any upset caused. It was never the intention of the writer and Owlsonline. Thanks to all who have been in touch, your comments have been noted. @FvHtweets"

Good stuff.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It was never 'the intention' of the writer, to write, the words that he, errr, wrote?

It was all some fantastically unlucky auto-correct mistake on his iPad?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Glad to see them moderating their own.

I'll put this down to their village idiot unexpectedly being given the typewriter for the day. We've all got our own village idiots after all.

Delighted to see it stamped on.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It was never 'the intention' of the writer, to write, the words that he, errr, wrote?

It was all some fantastically unlucky auto-correct mistake on his iPad?

And the writer himself has displayed no remorse on Twitter either - but good that the admins stepped in and publicly denounced it.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

But the very next reply.....?

Why don't you just bum them!

Wednesday.:ffsparr:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This comment about some flag, did Brighton fans really do this? I don't remember it.

"A large flag was passed over their "fans" heads stating "**** Off South Yorkshire Murdering *******s" "SYP c**ts" and similar ditties. It was cobbled together after Cameron's famous "Liverpool fans don't drink before games and they all had tickets," rant, Scarves were on sale with Brighton on one half and "remember the 96" on the other. Pictures of this flag were shown on TV news and featured in the Press. I complained to the FA that the flag was tantamount to causing disorder and to Cameron's Office (I lived locally then). I received no reply.
I complained to Brighton themselves- no reply.
So my dislike of Brighton fans is not homophobic it is based on a section of their fans being 100% moronic c**ts whose behaviour is endorsed by their club, the FA and the PM. "

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Be interesting to see their gate tonight. Such a massive club be disappointed if less than our average. Reading that blog it has to be 50000 at least!!! I shall be disappointed with less.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if Albion fans don't travel. Hillsborough is the Selhurst of the North.

To be fair, no ground up north is as bad as selhurst (perhaps places like Accrington still have wooden seats).

It is a shame it is a midweek game as it will naturally lessen considerably how many we take up there.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sheffield Wednesday.
image.jpg

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Jebus they do not like us one tiny bit do they....

Love this from Bricat below

Seagulls roasting on an open fire,
Obscene flag, baiting Sheffield folk.
Held by Falmer Stadium scum,
Yes I was there that night you c**ts,

Have a nice day if you're coming.

His photo is of a staffordshire bull terrier with kisses all over it...... How very Gay

Maybe he was the guy who's girlfriend found a video of him 'making luuurve' to her staff on his mobile phone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here