Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Slump in Form

What is the main reason for our slump in form

• Total voters

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Crikey, what a load of nonsense. Solly was playing crap and you could argue Hughton persevered and got the best out of him. At QPR we got forced back, but who would you have changed exactly? Had Dunk not had a moment I fancy we'd have seen it out. Unlucky with Derby's late pen too, and Murphy's onside goal v Ipswich. Such are the fine margins.

Tactically he is showing flexibility and a willingness to try things with who he has available. We are playing differently to our start because of the injuries not inspite of them. There is no doubt we've gone longer recently, but I think that is reflective of playing the percentages.

Even so, we're bloody unlucky with 2 late goals against and an equaliser chalked off and a freak og. You get your fair share over a season but just a little in December could have seen us 5 or 6 pts better off.

Oh, Solly was playing crap, was this because he's crap, been out drinking the night before, he's tired or he was consistently played out of position. Playing Solly in a more central role and asking him to cut in all of the time really was not playing to his strengths or to the benefit of the team, asking him to stay wide in his natural position wide on the left and hey ho his performances massively improved. I note that Murphy is being asked to do the same thing now, with little improvement and Solly plays wide on the left for the England U21. Strange how those of us who have followed Solly could see this all along but our manager and his coaching staff seemed oblivious to this.

Regarding QPR we had a two goal lead and failed to shut shop at the back, instead he left the status quo until Dunk went and he was then forced to make changes, Austin clearly was too much for Bruno as we could all see, the outcome being us conceding the lead and hanging on for he draw.

We switch our wingers during the game, our flanks are not very well protected and the smart managers in the Championship have identified this, how many games are we going to continue to concede from our right back position, nothing is done about it and some will say we are 'unlucky'.

It now fashionable to talk about margins in the Championship and we have been on the right side of many marginal wins, injuries have hampered the selection of the team that CH most wants to put out, but he should not be beyond comment and three points from eighteen is not all about injuries, but includes team selection and match planning and strategy. if you think he set up properly against Middlesborough please put your hand up.

We have not been unlucky with any of the goals that we have conceded, the opposition are there to score against us by whatever means within the laws of the game that they can. This option is also open to us and we have failed to do this now over a period of six hours of football.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
We have an injury list that would cripple any team - unfortunately it's ours
Because of that injury list there's no chance for any squad rotation by CH so the players that are playing are playing every game instead of being rested so, of course, they're looking tired
i cannot believe that anyone is saying that it's tactical ineptitude by Chris Hughton
You can tell that the squad is down to the bare bones when the substitutes on New Years day included Danny Holla and JFC who would not get anywhere near the team if we were at full strength

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We have an injury list that would cripple any team - unfortunately it's ours
Because of that injury list there's no chance for any squad rotation by CH so the players that are playing are playing every game instead of being rested so, of course, they're looking tired
i cannot believe that anyone is saying that it's tactical ineptitude by Chris Hughton
You can tell that the squad is down to the bare bones when the substitutes on New Years day included Danny Holla and JFC who would not get anywhere near the team if we were at full strength

I believe that some are saying that CH has not played his hand smartly as he could, he should not be beyond comment. if I set out the team sent out on Friday who would you change so that I can get a clear idea in my head of who these 6/7 key players are:

1. Stockdale - Played all season
2. Bruno - Played all season, in his thirties, looks far from tired
3. Calderon - Playing out of position as CH appears not to want to play Chicksen a fast left footed, left back.
4. Goldson - Looks any bit as good as Hun and isn't tired
5. Dunk - Has had a lot of games out this season and only recently back due to injury to others, he cannot be and is not tired
6. Kayal - The engine room of this side, tackles, runs and makes play possible, was visibly distressed at being subbed against Boro, he should have stayed.
7. Stephens - Not looking tired, but looking at being exposed, he has not played all season and has no right to be tired.
8. Crofts - didn't look tired, asked to play a strange role, only his second game back.
9. Zamora - we all know his limits, carries a massive expectation on his shoulders.
10. Wilson - clearly not well on Friday, but putting on the right wing, not sure that's where he's comfortable.
11, Murphy - Yet to impress, continually makes the wrong choices.

Please clear out seven from this selection and replace them with those on the injury list.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's all Jose Mourinho's fault - everything was fine until he bloody well turned up to watch!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I believe that some are saying that CH has not played his hand smartly as he could, he should not be beyond comment. if I set out the team sent out on Friday who would you change so that I can get a clear idea in my head of who these 6/7 key players are:

3. Calderon - Playing out of position as CH appears not to want to play Chicksen a fast left footed, left back.
5. Dunk - Has had a lot of games out this season and only recently back due to injury to others, he cannot be and is not tired
6. Kayal - The engine room of this side, tackles, runs and makes play possible, was visibly distressed at being subbed against Boro, he should have stayed.
7. Stephens - Not looking tired, but looking at being exposed, he has not played all season and has no right to be tired.
8. Crofts - didn't look tired, asked to play a strange role, only his second game back.
9. Zamora - we all know his limits, carries a massive expectation on his shoulders.
10. Wilson - clearly not well on Friday, but putting on the right wing, not sure that's where he's comfortable.

Please clear out seven from this selection and replace them with those on the injury list.

Bong, Greer, Uwe, Rosenior, Kaz, March, Baldock.
There you go...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Bong, Greer and maybe Uwe, plus two from Rosenior, LuaLua and March; that's pretty much half a team....................

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Bong, Greer, Uwe, Rosenior, Kaz, March, Baldock.
There you go...

So Uwe who couldn't get in the side over Dunk is now reinstated
Greer assumes captaincy
Bong is the no brainer
Baldock our super scoring striker replaces someone who has scored more goals in less games than him?
Solly isn't coming back this season
Kaz I can understand
Rosenior wasn't making the first team regularly

I'll give you three. Missing Baldock is no justification for our form, in fact we were doing very well without him.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Bong I agree
Greer I agree
Uwe, sorry he is not a first teamer and only played because Greer was injured, when injured himself.
Perm any two from Rosenior, Lua lua and March, but check how many times March and Lua Lua played in the same team selection.

Its too general to quote six and seven first teamers out injured, we have not struggled at left back in Bongs absence, on the contrary our right back is the weak link defensively. What we actually miss with all these injuries is a skilful, fast winger. Our biggest loss is Solly and the impact of Lua Lua.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bong I agree
Greer I agree
Uwe, sorry he is not a first teamer and only played because Greer was injured, when injured himself.
Perm any two from Rosenior, Lua lua and March, but check how many times March and Lua Lua played in the same team selection.

Its too general to quote six and seven first teamers out injured, we have not struggled at left back in Bongs absence, on the contrary our right back is the weak link defensively. What we actually miss with all these injuries is a skilful, fast winger. Our biggest loss is Solly and the impact of Lua Lua.

Bruno is our weak link....sorry, I'm out and you're on drugs!:mad:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Bong I agree
Greer I agree

Greer/Uwe has been the first choice partnership pretty much since Dunk signed his shiny new contract. Dunk only got back in when Uwe was injured in the warm up at Burnley.
So that's 5, even by your reckoning...

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Regarding QPR we had a two goal lead and failed to shut shop at the back, instead he left the status quo until Dunk went and he was then forced to make changes, Austin clearly was too much for Bruno as we could all see, the outcome being us conceding the lead and hanging on for he draw.

It's not a case of shutting up shop! We didn't get beaten from open play for either goal. Dunk's sending off split the two goals. It was just poor marking from Bruno. Didn't try and head the ball either time. Was more focussed on trying to block Austin's run and failed miserably. Partly the players fault but you could argue that Dunk should have been marking him before being sent off, and Hunemier after.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Greer/Uwe has been the first choice partnership pretty much since Dunk signed his shiny new contract. Dunk only got back in when Uwe was injured in the warm up at Burnley.
So that's 5, even by your reckoning...

Not quite true.

Greer/Dunk started the season. Greer/Uwe became the first choice pairing after Dunk reportedly refused to play a cup game, and then got benched while his contract was sorted. Uwe was dropped to the bench for the rotherham game, then back in for Bolton game. Then out of the side and only returned when Greer got injured v leeds. It became Uwe/Dunk while Greer was out. Greer happened to return for the burnley game when Huenemeier was unavailable. We don't know if he would have played had he been fit. Dunk had played all seven games prior to Burnley, so he didn't get back in thanks to Uwe's injury, since he was already part of the team.

Even when Uwe returned from his two match absence, Hughton continued with Greer and Dunk until Dunk was suspended for the Boro game (where Uwe got injured).

Greer/Dunk were the preferred pairing to start the season, Greer/Uwe became the preferred option when Dunk was distracted with a potential move/new contract, when that got sorted, and Uwe showed a weakness with high balls, Hughton reverted to Greer/Dunk, until injuries forced him to change.

Hughton has no problem using Huenemeier when needed, but his preferred centreback pairing has been Greer and Dunk.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You must have missed the direction from where the Charlton, Boro, Wolverhampton goals came, where the penalty at Derby was conceded and who was marking Austin at QPR, it wasn't our left hand side. Surely you cannot defend Bruno for allowing cross after cross to come in?

Not only are you wrong about Bruno, who has been MOM several times, but in dismissing our injuries, forgetting the bench.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Of course it's the injury list.

Looking back at a random match in October, the starting line up for our win at Leeds was:

Stockdale
Bruno
Greer (Hünemeier - 40' )
Dunk
Bong
Rosenior (Crofts - 60' )
Kayal
Stephens
March
Hemed (Zamora - 78' )
Baldock

5 starters and 1 of the subs now out injured. I don't care what team it is, if you take 5 first team starters out they are going to struggle.

Too true. As illustrated at Selhurst Park yesterday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You must have missed the direction from where the Charlton, Boro, Wolverhampton goals came, where the penalty at Derby was conceded and who was marking Austin at QPR, it wasn't our left hand side. Surely you cannot defend Bruno for allowing cross after cross to come in?

I'll bite [emoji4]

The goals vs Charlton were as a result of a breakaway the first when Murphy cheaply lost the ball, the second when Stephens and Kayal were out of position. Maybe, Bruno could have done better but the cause was further upfield (if you are looking for scapegoats).

Boro worked a position very well, Bruno correctly tracked his player, VLP was the one who didn't defend properly as he was ball watching. But in fairness, I think Boro worked it well.

Wolves, Bruno guided the player to the line where we actually had numbers and were defensively solid in terms of positioning, he cannot be held responsible for Goldson slicing it or Stockdale not calling (if that is the case).

Derby the first was a needless corner see Dunk, the second a harsh penalty from a corner, struggling with that one.

QPR, I think Bruno should have been tighter, but arguably where Austin drifted to. Dunk or a.n other should have been from a zonal perspective.

As per other posts the problem is more with the players in front of our full backs, and it just highlights how good we were when March, Rosenoir and KLL were fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here