Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Slump in Form

What is the main reason for our slump in form

• Total voters

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Both Ipswich and Wolves defended deep with two banks of four and both had strong centre half pairings. Route 1 would be totally ineffective against these tactics and balls into the box would be gobbled up gratefully. What we need is the guile to pick through or relentless pressure. As most of our guile is on the treatment table, we tried the latter, which was the right thing to do. We did create chances, but unfortunately couldn't finish them.

They actually had two banks of four and a floating defensive midfielder. Played 4-1-4-1.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Forwards who aren't good enough is a major factor imo. We are relying an old man who can't last more than 30 odd mins at the end of a game and a kid who is ill. Before that we were relying on a player who has no idea where the goal is any more.

Injuries obviously have a part to play but we have been incapable of closing a game down even once this season, even with a full strength team. We rode our luck earlier in the season and now we are getting none.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Lua Lua was having his best spell with us for ages.....then got injured. Solly March was playing the best football of his fledgling career.......got a season long injury. Sam Baldock was starting to look good at last, got injured (again) Bong was a revelation....got injured, his replacement Rosenoir was playing very well, got injured.Thats just injuries to first team players without the up and coming players who are injured. Oh isn't the BFG Injured too,! No wonder the boat is sinking, we will improve.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Definitely the injuries.
But we have only lost the last two games by one goal and those were mistakes. We played well against Ipswich IMO and should have had a draw if it wasn't for the dodgy officials, not taking anything away from Ipswich but a draw would have been a fair result.

Hard game against Wolves with them playing 9 defenders, maybe should have tried a few more shots in the first half but I can't fault the effort put in by our team.

Didn't see the Brentford game so I can't comment.

Boro obviously beat us because the were by far the strongest team, but it would have been interesting to see what the result would have been if we had no injuries.

Stockseagull

Dec 2, 2011
Peak District
Being up north I have seen a few away games where ironically pitches have been better. At the Amex this week the pitch looked well used divoted and slow- just like the team.
We have no pace at the moment and everything is being played to wide men cutting inside.
Bong and Rosenior are sorely missed. Both had pace along the left. Murphy and Inigo do not. Lua Lua will not like the Amex pitch when he returns. I thought the Lancing training pitch was a mirror image- can't they bring it over?joke.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well the poll looks finely balanced with BG and a joke account on one side, and every other Brighton supporter on the other. Can see this going all the way to the wire :facepalm:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Being up north I have seen a few away games where ironically pitches have been better. At the Amex this week the pitch looked well used divoted and slow- just like the team.
We have no pace at the moment and everything is being played to wide men cutting inside.
Bong and Rosenior are sorely missed. Both had pace along the left. Murphy and Inigo do not. Lua Lua will not like the Amex pitch when he returns. I thought the Lancing training pitch was a mirror image- can't they bring it over?joke.

This has been mentioned by 'Joe' Bruno (as Sky had him in the line up)...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14177858.Bruno__Pitch_at_the_Amex_isn_t_helping_us/

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Of course it's the injury list.

Looking back at a random match in October, the starting line up for our win at Leeds was:

Stockdale
Bruno
Greer (Hünemeier - 40' )
Dunk
Bong
Rosenior (Crofts - 60' )
Kayal
Stephens
March
Hemed (Zamora - 78' )
Baldock

5 starters and 1 of the subs now out injured. I don't care what team it is, if you take 5 first team starters out they are going to struggle.

Indeed. 6 of our injured involved that day. That many injuriea.would put boro or derby in a slump too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's arguable that the squad that CH has had to pick from since early December has been weaker than the one he inherited last January. So it's definitely injuries, and not his tactics.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It seems that there is something of a dispute on NSC as to the reason behind our slump in form, so I thought we should have a poll

Poll aside :thumbsup:, was having a Costa coffee in Watford today with my wife.
Just looking around at the many Man City fans around with Champions on the back of their shirts, and I said to her that could be Brighton one day.
I can dream that will be us sooner rather than later :albion2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ther are quite a few runs being put together including our next home opponents , the mighty town who have won away again!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Definitely the injuries.
But we have only lost the last two games by one goal and those were mistakes. We played well against Ipswich IMO and should have had a draw if it wasn't for the dodgy officials, not taking anything away from Ipswich but a draw would have been a fair result.

Hard game against Wolves with them playing 9 defenders, maybe should have tried a few more shots in the first half but I can't fault the effort put in by our team.

Boro obviously beat us because the were by far the strongest team, but it would have been interesting to see what the result would have been if we had no injuries.

Well surmised.

With full squad at our disposal we would have beaten both Ipswich and Wolves and would have most definitely given Boro a better game. I'm very much being glass half full about the outcome to this season unlike 80% of our other bed wetting fans

D

Deleted member 2719

7 points from the next 3 league matches needed it should be possible or we have never been contenders, time for the staff and squad to show there metal strength.

We all know we haven't got our strongest squad, so let's just do it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Definitely the injuries.

Completely agree re Ipswich. If the linesman hadn't flagged for offside and had got the decision right, I genuinely think we'd be looking at a very different position now. In both the last two games the first goal has been crucial. If we had got that against Ipswich, I think we would have got at least a draw (and a good chance of a win) which would have changed the momentum for the Wolves game, even if we had conceded first still.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
If you look at whoscored 5 of our top 11 rated players are out injured (including Parrot who has gone back to Wolves). What team could possibly carry on at the highest level with that many of their best performers out. Personally I thought we played OK yesterday. Get some of our top players back and we will be right back in the mix. Keep the faith.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Any team would struggle with our list of injuries.

THIS, I'm just watching Citeh on the telly, and they are struggling away from home and they only have Company as a long term injury, think how much worse they would be with another five first teamers out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here