Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

our police just dont get it do they

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Confidential documents about some of the most dangerous criminals in Brighton and Hove were left on a bus.

A member of the public, who wishes to remain anonymous, found a file of papers relating to offenders protected by Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) left on a seat.

Dozens of pages of paper work - all marked “restricted” - reveal the current where- abouts and addresses of the most dangerous convicted criminals being supervised by Sussex Police, probation and prison services.

The documents also identified names, addresses and phone numbers of victims, witnesses and others considered to be at risk from the offenders.

The names of very young child victims of sexual offences are also disclosed in the documents.
The man who found the papers handed them over to The Argus because he was concerned that such sensitive data had been left in public.
He said: “I noticed a red file on a seat on the bus. “I thought it must be some student’s work or something so I picked it up to see if I could find out whose it was.
“When I saw MAPPA written on the first page I knew it was serious. The information in there was horrendous.
Even knowing how bad the crimes these people have committed this information should not just be left lying around.
“I was going to hand it in but I was so concerned that someone had left this kind of information lying around I called The Argus.”

Sussex Police said it launched an investigation to trace the documents on Tuesday afternoon, resulting in the arrest of the concerned member of public who handed them to The Argus on suspicion of theft by finding.
shirly they should have thanked him not arrested him :facepalm:
ps i know title is wrong but dont know how to change(hit wrong key )

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It looks like they "get it" very well.

Some muppet removed items from a bus that had nothing to do with them. They then proceeded to take them to the local rag, instead of to the nearest police station. Why did the person not just bring them to the attention of the driver/conductor? They were not theirs, and taking them must be theft?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some muppet removed items from a bus that had nothing to do with them. They then proceeded to take them to the local rag, instead of to the nearest police station.
I think the member of the public did the right thing. It's a matter of public interest, if he'd handed to the police we'd never have heard of it and there would be no deterrent to the next policeman being careless with such sensitive information. They should find out who left it, and they should be punished.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
If you find something that is obviously misplaced/lost etc and you know the owner why dont you return it to them. At the very least give it to the driver. No doubt were hoping for a reward?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the member of the public did the right thing. It's a matter of public interest, if he'd handed to the police we'd never have heard of it and there would be no deterrent to the next policeman being careless with such sensitive information. They should find out who left it, and they should be punished.

If you actually read the article, badly worded though it is, it wasn't the police who lost it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you actually read the article, badly worded though it is, it wasn't the police who lost it.
Ah, my apologies. So, as I said, but other civil servant, not police officer.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Does the "member of the public" now have their name in the documents?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No, but would we have found out about the dreadful carelessness as promptly?

I have no idea, I was simply responding to a poster's belief that it must be someone in the police who screwed up (not unreasonable given the way the Argus has written the article).

In the circumstances, while I can see how it looks to the uninformed, there are in fact perfectly legitimate reasons for arresting the individual. As a result of his account, he's been released without charge, and that's the end of it, well apart from presumably for the member of the prison service who mislaid the paperwork.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
they where not the police,s documents either so why give them to the police
i just think arresting the guy is a little ott. just my opinion

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
I have no idea, I was simply responding to a poster's belief that it must be someone in the police who screwed up (not unreasonable given the way the Argus has written the article).

In the circumstances, while I can see how it looks to the uninformed, there are in fact perfectly legitimate reasons for arresting the individual. As a result of his account, he's been released without charge, and that's the end of it, well apart from presumably for the member of the prison service who mislaid the paperwork.

it seems a shame the police have no leeway these days to act on their own initiative and give the guy a rollicking instead of arresting him and all that entails (DNA and fingerprinting ect )

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
they where not the police,s documents either so why give them to the police
i just think arresting the guy is a little ott. just my opinion

They arrested him for theft by finding by identifying him from cctv on the bus. They had no idea that he'd handed the documents over as the Argus hadn't told the police that they'd got them. Once the documents were traced and found, he was released without charge.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
They arrested him for theft by finding by identifying him from cctv on the bus. They had no idea that he'd handed the documents over as the Argus hadn't told the police that they'd got them. Once the documents were traced and found, he was released without charge.

Exactly, big difference from arrested and charged.
He was only arrested so he HAD to go to the station to have a discussion about the documents. If they didn't arrest him, they had no right to expect him to even give up the whereabouts of the docs.
Simple formality, no charge.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Confidential documents about some of the most dangerous criminals in Brighton and Hove were left on a bus.

A member of the public, who wishes to remain anonymous, found a file of papers relating to offenders protected by Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) left on a seat.

Dozens of pages of paper work - all marked “restricted” - reveal the current where- abouts and addresses of the most dangerous convicted criminals being supervised by Sussex Police, probation and prison services.

The documents also identified names, addresses and phone numbers of victims, witnesses and others considered to be at risk from the offenders.

The names of very young child victims of sexual offences are also disclosed in the documents.
The man who found the papers handed them over to The Argus because he was concerned that such sensitive data had been left in public.
He said: “I noticed a red file on a seat on the bus. “I thought it must be some student’s work or something so I picked it up to see if I could find out whose it was.
“When I saw MAPPA written on the first page I knew it was serious. The information in there was horrendous.
Even knowing how bad the crimes these people have committed this information should not just be left lying around.
“I was going to hand it in but I was so concerned that someone had left this kind of information lying around I called The Argus.”

Sussex Police said it launched an investigation to trace the documents on Tuesday afternoon, resulting in the arrest of the concerned member of public who handed them to The Argus on suspicion of theft by finding.
shirly they should have thanked him not arrested him :facepalm:
ps i know title is wrong but dont know how to change(hit wrong key )

Sorted friend :)

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover

And by (accidentally m'lud) witholding that information for a wee while, bingo! the Argus have made themselves a bit of a story....

I would have gone to the Police with the documents than provide the Argus with that sort of information!

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean

I agree

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

He should have given them to one of the red top rags,that would have created a shitstorm

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would have gone to the Police with the documents than provide the Argus with that sort of information!
Well I agree that you wouldn't want any chance of that information staying in the public domain, but I would have wanted the press to have the story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here