Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Pistorius

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The prosecution then got the expert to try to knock the door in the way he claims Pistorius did, but when he got on his knees, the expert couldn't balance on just his knees
I'd think the best parolympic athlete in the world is better at balancing on his legs, then the average man is at balancing on their knees.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It doesn't, it's more down to the prosecution trying to catch him out on a lie, and if he has lied, why? Obviously they haven't caught him out on this point.

Why haven't they? I thought he said he had his legs on when he broke down the door but the forensic evidence didn't support that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn't it the other way round, Pistorius claims he had his legs on but the expert suggests the blows to the door were from a low angle suggesting he was on his stumps.
No, Oscar said he woke up, and went to check etc, and that he only put his legs on afterwards. As waking up and thinking there was an intruder, but taking the time to put your legs on whilst not noticing your girlfriend is not next to you, is less believable.

1. she locked herself into the bathroom when he went into a rage.
2. he battered the door down and shot her a few times.
I thought everyone agreed that the shots were fired through the closed door, and not after it had been smashed in?

Didn't really understand how nasty the Black Talon bullets were that Oscar used until I saw this.
Blimey, they're a bit medieval.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why haven't they? I thought he said he had his legs on when he broke down the door but the forensic evidence didn't support that.

The forensic evidence did not not support that. All that came of that evidence was that is showed that someone who had legs found it difficult to balance on their knees whilst raising their feet off the floor. Someone without legs wouldn't have a counter balance problem.

The prosecution will probably go on to say (next week maybe) that he attempted to use the cricket bat first to break the door down (without prosthetics), failed to do this, and then shot through the door.

From what I can make out he used the cricket bat twice, once before the shooting without success in openeing the door, and then for a second time after the shooting when he had put his legs on.

We all know that it would be difficult to break through the door by swinging a cricket bat whether you have legs or not. Doors only break open when rammed with something like a shoulder or foot with weight behind it.

He probably broke the door open with his shoulder or foot, with his full weight behind it, after two failed attempts with a cricket bat. Once before the shooting without legs, and once after with legs and failed both times.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
She apparently stayed silent throughout the whole event, and the shooting...its amazing...
Im pretty sure if I was hitting the toilet door with a cricket bat, and my missus was in it...if he was hitting the door before the shooting...she would probably be enquiring as to whether ld lost my mind.
Im not following this particularly closely, but for the woman to remain completely silent through all this is a bit unbelieveable...
Although it would seem, according to the neighbours...they were both quite vocal before the shooting.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She apparently stayed silent throughout the whole event, and the shooting...its amazing...
To be honest, even if I believed Oscar's side, I'd still think he should be locked up. Even if he's right, you don't go shooting into a locked toilet.

Im pretty sure if I was hitting the toilet door with a cricket bat, and my missus was in it...she would probably be enquiring as to whether ld lost my mind.
Your missus is quite the nosy cow isn't she.

Im not following this particularly closely, but for the woman to remain completely silent through all this is a bit unbelieveable...
What was Oscar's story - didn't he say that he shot through the door first, and only attempted to smash it down when he realised his 'mistake'? So she wouldn't have need to say anything, according to his story.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Yep, and it's designed to spin taking out and smashing everything in its way.
Errr pretty much every pistol has a rifled barrel and so the rounds spin towards they're target to improve accuracy. The personal defence round, like the Black Talon, will only end up looking like that on impact as the head of the round squashes. It just so happens that this round is designed to squash like that but others squash in different ways that are more effective but don't look quite so menacing! The idea is that as much energy is dispersed as quickly as possible to the target, hydrostatic shock, to incapacitate them and prevent them from using deadly force against you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Errr pretty much every pistol has a rifled barrel and so the rounds spin towards they're target to improve accuracy. The personal defence round, like the Black Talon, will only end up looking like that on impact as the head of the round squashes. It just so happens that this round is designed to squash like that but others squash in different ways that are more effective but don't look quite so menacing! The idea is that as much energy is dispersed as quickly as possible to the target, hydrostatic shock, to incapacitate them and prevent them from using deadly force against you.

Yes I know all guns and cannons are designed to spin the projectiles, I should have written “Imagine that Black Talon bullet, in the still photo, opening whilst spinning on impact and how devastating it would be.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

In a nutshell, It's designed to blow lumps out of people and cause horrific injuries.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
They are remote, yes - it would be a bit like breaking into a prison camp. There are stories where guards have been bribed, but that happens very rarely. It will be interesting to see what the defence say about it, if anything.

Edit. And I am no expert on SA security, by the way, as I do not live in one and do not want to either. I have visited them though and the guards are usually extremely efficient - you cannot just pop in to see a friend on a whim, for example - the guards will not let you.

Bear in mind that it's not that remote. One of Krijcer's associates lived in Wedgewood Green, which is where I used to live, It also has high fences, 24 hour security and only 1 way in and out but they still managed to get in there and kill him last year, supposedly while committing a burglary. At Wedgewood Green every visitor has to sign in but there were several burglaries in the 3 years I lived there.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Heard a bit from the case on the radio the other day of Barry Roux speaking in court. They said he is one of the most highly regarded lawyers in the country. Sounded like a bumbling fool to me and I couldn't quite work it out. So did a bit of reading up on him and it seems it's all part of his style. Bit of a Columbo fan perhaps???

It is interesting to see there's no jury here, but in such a high profile case this may not be such a bad thing for justice. What I find most alarming in any justice system, having done jury service, is the sheer power of barristers. A good one seems like a magician to me, and very frightening how their mastery of language and their trade can really turn a case.

Roux is very differnet to Columbo. He has a very aggressive questioning technique, trying to destabilise and upset the witness in order to trick them into saying the wrong things.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Yes I know all guns and cannons are designed to spin the projectiles, I should have written “Imagine that Black Talon bullet, in the still photo, opening whilst spinning on impact and how devastating it would be.”
Not true I'm afraid, not all guns and cannons are rifled and don't spin their projectiles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here