Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar has lost the fans

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oscar was here well before the start of pre season training and had the plenty of time on the Spanish jaunts etc to assess the squad and he had plenty of time in the transfer window to strengthen as he saw fit so I don't understand how we had a disrupted pre season ?

If it is posted often enough it becomes 'true'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Poyet thing is a bit boring now isnt it? Both pro and anti? Saying Poyet is a temperamental idiot doesn't logically help bolster the case for Oscar when you think that argument through a little.

But to the main issue, saying we had only one fit striker here isnt true. Lita, Obika, Rodriguez. The job of a manager is to get something out of these players.

Lita, I haven't a clue what went on with, he has a good pedigree. I imagine both Obika and Lita were brought in without Oscar knowing much about them, maybe it was input from Burke and Jones. Perhaps Oscar had a look and didn't like what he saw. Rodriguez, I imagine, he may have had some input on, until a month ago we were going OK without him but I haven't been that impressed. perhaps he IS an Oscar dud.

To cut to the chase I'd like to see Oscar given the chance to spend some money and bring in players in the summer. He has had enough time now to form decisions on the league and players. I think we owe him that rather than lose all faith and boot him out/make him walk.

Patience is required, NSC doesn't excel on that front. :smile:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oscar was here well before the start of pre season training and had the plenty of time on the Spanish jaunts etc to assess the squad and he had plenty of time in the transfer window to strengthen as he saw fit so I don't understand how we had a disrupted pre season ?

If it is posted often enough it becomes 'true'.
Our season ended 13th May, he was brought in on 26th June and the season started 3rd August.

So having not been here for the first 7 weeks of the close season, he had 5 weeks to assess his squad and a further 3 weeks to actually bring players in if he deemed some of those not good enough having not previously ever having watched them.

And you don't understand how we had a disrupted pre-season? FFS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our season ended 13th May, he was brought in on 26th June and the season started 3rd August.

So having not been here for the first 7 weeks of the close season, he had 5 weeks to assess his squad and a further 3 weeks to actually bring players in if he deemed some of those not good enough having not previously ever having watched them.

And you don't understand how we had a disrupted pre-season? FFS.

He was suddenly contacted on 27th June and offered the job? I seriously doubt that. Everybody goes on holiday in June so there wouldn't have been any preparation by any manager in that month.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was suddenly contacted on 27th June and offered the job? I seriously doubt that. Everybody goes on holiday in June so there wouldn't have been any preparation by any manager in that month.

So if everyone is on holiday in June, he didn't actually get to see his new players until they returned for pre-season at the start of July. Even less preparation by your reckoning.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So if everyone is on holiday in June, he didn't actually get to see his new players until they returned for pre-season at the start of July. Even less preparation by your reckoning.

Exactly the same as any manager. Admittedly most managers would know some of their players from the previous season, but there would be changes and new players coming in.
I don't think it as big a handicap as most seem to think. The biggest handicap that Oscar has had is injuries.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I doubt he was contacted until well after Poyet left - maybe late May? And then as you say, no time to assess players in June anyway as they will have been on holiday.

The point is that if you don't think Garcia's pre-season was disrupted then you need your head seeing to.

Exactly the same as any manager. Admittedly most managers would know some of their players from the previous season, but there would be changes and new players coming in.
I don't think it as big a handicap as most seem to think. The biggest handicap that Oscar has had is injuries.
So just that small tit-bit of information that Oscar was missing and might have been of use to him then. As well as the injuries. And the loss of Bridcutt and Barnes - both big sales, with only Stephens coming in of any note.

And yet there are people whining because we're in 8th place in his first season here. Jesus.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Of course it's a handicap. We appointed a manager who has never been in English football before. All the targets had to be a bit of guesswork between Burke and his team, and what OG might need. Most managers in the Championship would know exactly what their squads are, and many would know exactly what is going on with most other squads as well as those in L1 and the PL.

OG has had to come in, fully assess his own squad then get to grips with what's available or presented as available to him, without necessarily having that much knowledge of those targets. I have no idea when he might have been first approached or sounded out about the role, but the protracted nature of GP's departure would have left everyone up in the air.

Any change in manager is a disrupted pre-season. To lose a manager in the manner we did, then to appoint one who has never been in this country before, that is disruption on anyone's scale.

To have the injuries as well has just compounded an unfortunate way to start a managerial career in a new country.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Lita, I haven't a clue what went on with, he has a good pedigree. I imagine both Obika and Lita were brought in without Oscar knowing much about them, maybe it was input from Burke and Jones. Perhaps Oscar had a look and didn't like what he saw. Rodriguez, I imagine, he may have had some input on, until a month ago we were going OK without him but I haven't been that impressed. perhaps he IS an Oscar dud.

To cut to the chase I'd like to see Oscar given the chance to spend some money and bring in his players in the summer. He has had enough time now to form decisions on the league and players. I think we owe him that rather than lose all faith and boot him out/make him walk.

Patience is required, NSC doesn't excel on that front. :smile:
altered slightly for agreement :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course it's a handicap. We appointed a manager who has never been in English football before. All the targets had to be a bit of guesswork between Burke and his team, and what OG might need. Most managers in the Championship would know exactly what their squads are, and many would know exactly what is going on with most other squads as well as those in L1 and the PL.

OG has had to come in, fully assess his own squad then get to grips with what's available or presented as available to him, without necessarily having that much knowledge of those targets. I have no idea when he might have been first approached or sounded out about the role, but the protracted nature of GP's departure would have left everyone up in the air.

Any change in manager is a disrupted pre-season. To lose a manager in the manner we did, then to appoint one who has never been in this country before, that is disruption on anyone's scale.

To have the injuries as well has just compounded an unfortunate way to start a managerial career in a new country.

Prior to dvds I would have agreed with you. He could have spent a couple of weeks studying the players before the announcement.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
can't agree with that. It might have been one up front for most of the time but he kept Barnes / Noone / Buckley close enough that Ulloa / CMS weren't totally isolated. Plus Gus always wanted to play two up front, it just barely happened in the championship. CMS and Barnes / Wood played up top together in league 1, in the champ he started with two up front but moved Barnes to the wing when we shipped a lot early in the season. After that he was always looking for the second striker to complement CMS: Vokes, then Paynter, then eventually Ulloa at which point CMS was injured.

In the Championship Poyet played a 4-3-3, as does Garcia.

The difference has been that poyet played an asymmetrical shape with 1 wide forward (Barnes), a central striker and usually a winger. Whereas Garcia has been trying to play with 2 wide forwards and a central striker.

In both instances the width has come from pushing full backs high up the pitch, and in both instances the intention is for one or more of the wide forwards to support the central striker.

Additionally both used a box to box style midfielder to try and overload when attacking. e.g 3 forwards, 2 full backs and at least one midfielder, thereby giving an attacking 6.

Probably the biggest difference would be that Poyet would try to emphasis play down one side (the one with the winger). This changed a bit in the second season due to Wayne Bridge being particularly brilliant.

Before anyone says I've made this up, it's easy to find out about tactics by using google :)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Prior to dvds I would have agreed with you. He could have spent a couple of weeks studying the players before the announcement.

Wow, okay then. I can see you're prepared to go this distance in arguing this one.

Who the hell uses DVD's now anyway? I reckon we could have at least given him a 4 week free trial of Seagulls Player!

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
I doubt he was contacted until well after Poyet left - maybe late May? And then as you say, no time to assess players in June anyway as they will have been on holiday.

The point is that if you don't think Garcia's pre-season was disrupted then you need your head seeing to.

So just that small tit-bit of information that Oscar was missing and might have been of use to him then. As well as the injuries. And the loss of Bridcutt and Barnes - both big sales, with only Stephens coming in of any note.

And yet there are people whining because we're in 8th place in his first season here. Jesus.

This is getting really frustrating. The fact we are 8th is not why people are moaning. It's the boring, turgid, uninspired performances that Oscar keeps saying he is very happy with. That's it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is getting really frustrating. The fact we are 8th is not why people are moaning. It's the boring, turgid, uninspired performances that Oscar keeps saying he is very happy with. That's it.

Right now it's dull because we can't score, but over the course of the season it's really not been much different to the football under Poyet.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

I agree, I'm bored of the football style. Wingers on the bench etc etc.. I think Oscar will make a good manager but not with Brighton, we just don't have good enough players for his style

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Right now it's dull because we can't score, but over the course of the season it's really not been much different to the football under Poyet.

It would help if the players actually put some effort in. In the Middlesbrough game, the ball was dead in the 6 yard box and not one Brighton player attempted to kick it or even get to it, despite only being a couple of feet away. Their keeper suddenly realised and dived gratefully on top of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wow, okay then. I can see you're prepared to go this distance in arguing this one.

Who the hell uses DVD's now anyway? I reckon we could have at least given him a 4 week free trial of Seagulls Player!

All managers use DVDs. They can focus on one player in a match to coach them and show them what alternative decision they could have made. Our previous manager said he used to spend most of Sunday re-watching the Saturday game and analysing it. That's why the Albion record every match, it's not just for the Football League show.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All managers use DVDs. They can focus on one player in a match to coach them and show them what alternative decision they could have made. Our previous manager said he used to spend most of Sunday re-watching the Saturday game and analysing it. That's why the Albion record every match, it's not just for the Football League show.

Mate, it was a joke!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here