Oscar has lost the fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet was given everything he wanted until the end and did very well. Oscar has had one hand tied behind his back

Completely agree. If our players had taken the very good chances created over the last few weeks most of those moaning about our style would be singing Oscar's praises for winning tight games.

I bet Oscar would love to be able to spend the money Poyet spent on CMS, Buckley and Ulloa but he hasn't and so we have had to stumble through the season with one fit striker for the most part.

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
Completely agree. If our players had taken the very good chances created over the last few weeks most of those moaning about our style would be singing Oscar's praises for winning tight games.

I bet Oscar would love to be able to spend the money Poyet spent on CMS, Buckley and Ulloa but he hasn't and so we have had to stumble through the season with one fit striker for the most part.

Hmmm seeing as OG only plays with one very isolates striker not sure that matters!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Doesn't look like he's lost NSC, judging by the polls.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm seeing as OG only plays with one very isolates striker not sure that matters!

Even when that one striker has been injured for weeks during the season and been a shadow of the player we signed for the last month? You can't see that having another striker to give him some competition or replace him when he is out of form or injured would have probably made a difference? Harsh.

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
Even when that one striker has been injured for weeks during the season and been a shadow of the player we signed for the last month? You can't see that having another striker to give him some competition or replace him when he is out of form or injured would have probably made a difference? Harsh.

No I honestly can't. We've had options that we haven't given a chance as has been mentioned before. Part of Ulloas poor form is most probably that he knows OG won't replace him no matter who is available or how bad he gets.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Well the majority of them I say, myself included. 500 away fans chanting "attack, attack, attack attack attack" and pointing their fingers at you after the final whistle after yet another gutless half hearted display.

Even a few choruses of "you don't know what you're doing".

Massively disappointing today, and to sum it up LuaLua comes on and plays central. What's that all about?

500?! I think not. 50 would be much more accurate.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

No I honestly can't. We've had options that we haven't given a chance as has been mentioned before. Part of Ulloas poor form is most probably that he knows OG won't replace him no matter who is available or how bad he gets.

Who would he replace him with though? I share the view that Lita and Obika loans were a mystery in terms of game time, but Ulloa is/was/will be our 1st choice striker for the way that we have been set up to play..he is also our top goal-scorer. I dont think we should be surprised that he is having a poor spell..he was a reasonable second tier striker in Spain...if he had been consistently top draw, a top tier club there might have bought him. Add to that injury, upheaval of new manager, and the fact that other teams will be prepared for him, and I am not surprised that he is struggling..but he is the only realistic striker we have here and now, and we hope that he can rediscover the form he has shown in the past. The challenge for the Club is to decide if we can adapt our style to accommodate Macca, Rodriguez or Hoskins alongside or instead of Ulloa. That just hasn't been possible with only one fit striker since Christmas.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Doesn't look like he's lost NSC, judging by the polls.

Careful, you'll burst their fragile bubbles.

What am I on about, they won't listen anyway. They'll want NSC sacked as the main fan forum soon for some spurious reason.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes that is rather odd isn't it. Someone said that the supporters weren't celebrating when we scored, I think we were probably stunned, not sure how we got a result. They were equally as bad as us. I have been watching BHA since 68 maybe my time is up?

You weren't entertained at a 3-3 draw?! I'm not sure football is your sport

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are too many people on this thread not being careful enough about what they wish for. I'm not saying it isn't disappointing, but lets give the manager a full close season to bring in his own men eh? Have a rant about the performance by all means but it's way too early to want him out IMO.

Look at Poyet - he was a quality manager but I'm looking at Sunderland's league position and seeing that despite a decent start, Sunderland are still not doing very well. Hardly a surprise but at least he's been able to BUY one or two. OG has lost Bridcutt, he's had horrific luck with injuries and yet we're still not 100% out of it.

I should think Christmas was a time to assess his performance and not before then.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There are too many people on this thread not being careful enough about what they wish for. I'm not saying it isn't disappointing, but lets give the manager a full close season to bring in his own men eh? Have a rant about the performance by all means but it's way too early to want him out IMO.

Look at Poyet - he was a quality manager but I'm looking at Sunderland's league position and seeing that despite a decent start, Sunderland are still not doing very well. Hardly a surprise but at least he's been able to BUY one or two. OG has lost Bridcutt, he's had horrific luck with injuries and yet we're still not 100% out of it.

I should think Christmas was a time to assess his performance and not before then.

I'm sure we signed as many as Sunderland did in the last transfer window.

Oscar inherited a squad that was good enough for 4th last year 6-7 weeks before the season began, Gus inherited a team with 1 point in 9 games or something and had a squad of randomly signed imports with no real quality.

I'm all for giving Oscar time but I think some of our fans are massively exagerrating how hard he's had it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What I don't get is people who compare Oscar to Poyet but also moan about having one striker in the centre. I'd say Garcia has shown far more willingness to get another player alongside Ulloa than Gus ever did in the Championship - often moving one of the wingers more central. Not that it's worked too well but then the player who was most likely to cause a problem in there with him for the majority of the season was sold in Jan.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Most would have died of boredom by Christmas.

Problem is, it's not the personnel on the pitch its what style they've been asked to play. Its tedium every game.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure we've always had two fit strikers at any time this season, the fact that the back-up one hasn't played or been any good is surely Oscar's responsibility on some level?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He clearly hasn't had one hand tied behind his back, but equally he hasn't had the chance to bring in his own players.

And therein lies the rub. I would not say Oscar has lost me but there is something badly wrong with the current setup. The axis of Oscar, Jones and Burke have not managed to produce something coherent. I'm at a loss to understand what we're trying to achieve and I fear we're going backwards. We say we're obsessed with attacking football and we play the most isolated striker system in the division. We say we have a database on every element of a player and then seem surprised when Augstien fails to get fit and throws a strop. We say we're bringing in quality and then Keith Andrews makes noises about moving here permanently. Oscar hasn't lost the fans but the system we are currently employing is frustrating and confusing them.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
What I don't get is people who compare Oscar to Poyet but also moan about having one striker in the centre. I'd say Garcia has shown far more willingness to get another player alongside Ulloa than Gus ever did in the Championship - often moving one of the wingers more central. Not that it's worked too well but then the player who was most likely to cause a problem in there with him for the majority of the season was sold in Jan.

At times last season Ulloa was a little isolated, but mostly we had Barnes and/or Orlandi playing as a second striker. But also it was less important because we weren't going long to our one striker that often. This season he seems more isolated and we hammer long balls at him more so it becomes more noticable/stupid that he's so isolated.

The only time I think i've seen us play anything like a second striker this season is when he's moved Lingaard there for the last 20 minutes or so of a game we're losing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure we signed as many as Sunderland did in the last transfer window.

Oscar inherited a squad that was good enough for 4th last year 6-7 weeks before the season began, Gus inherited a team with 1 point in 9 games or something and had a squad of randomly signed imports with no real quality.

I'm all for giving Oscar time but I think some of our fans are massively exagerrating how hard he's had it.
I can't disagree with what you're saying. He hasn't had it at all hard at all.

But it's worth bearing in mind that Poyet guided a team of his own payers to 4th. We then had a messy close season before OG came in, lost our best player to Sunderland, and had horrific luck with injuries to our front players. I'm not sure what position would have been acceptable to some people on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports