Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Opinions from BHA fans

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I heard stories of players complaining that Oscar never ever understood what their strengths were and that he would send them out to play with instructions that the players simply found confusing.
Shirley that was Upson's fault not 'hands off' Oscar.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I seem to be in a minority here and I'll stick my neck out and state that I think he just rode on the back of Poyet's squad. I don't think he did anything spectacular to mark him out as anything other than solid. A win ratio here of 40% didn't set the world alight and for me he just kept a steady ship on course in slightly lumpy weather.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's a complicated one that is made murky by whispering campaigns and rumours.

Look at our season under him and you see a team that was frequently dealing with injuries. Ulloa missed a couple of months, Crofts and Stephens missed at least half a season, Orlandi was in and out, Bridcutt wasn't in the right frame of mind to play, Buckley admitted he tried to be professional and get on with his job, but that he was probably distracted by talk of going to the premier league, Barnes was sold in January, and replacements that came in were not good enough, El Abd was sold and I don't remember if we truly replaced him with another back up defender (which cost us in the play offs), CMS was out injured until late in the season.

Despite this, we made it to the play offs.

When he left after the play offs, the club made it clear they didn't want him to go and they were making every effort to convince him to stay.

Which would probably make it seem like he was good at making the most of what he had, but that's only the surface.

After he left, the local journalist wrote an article that hinted at some sort of interview, but didn't actually have (as far as I recall) direct comments from Oscar, where he complained about lack of backing from the club, not buying the players he wanted, Bloom being unavailable in January during the transfer window (I think the Grabban attempted transfer was listed). The club took a hit of a reputation hit with that.

Then whispers started, people relaying what they heard from a well placed source that he never spoke to the players, that it was Oscar who was never available during the transfer window (again, with the Grabban transfer attempt being cited), and that it was Matthew Upson that ran the team.

Then after Hyypia quit, Bloom sacked the director of football. This was followed by whispers and rumours of him singing during negotiations because he was rehearsing, one of our scouts went on the radio and mentioned how he would ignore all the players the scouts suggested and stuck with his own targets.

So, it's hard to tell. Where is it spin, rumours leaked out to protect the club, and where is it true inside info leaking out? The scout actually had his name attached to his claims. Warren Aspinall does co-commentary on the games for our local radio station/club player, and that would give his words a bit more weight than "I know a guy whose neighbour knows someone in the club and he said..." Were Bloom and Oscar unavailable for transfers, or did Burke manipulate things to make them each believe it and let him do what he wanted? Was Burke let go just because having a director of football was putting our target managers off, and not because of how he was doing his job?

I'm sure people will have their own beliefs on this, depending on their own bias, and how close they were to the leak v what they have read on here, and so on.

As far as the football goes, I was not a fan of it. Some people like to point to Gus as having dull possession style and saying Oscar's was no different, but it did feel different to me. Under Gus, when we passed it around the back it felt to me like there was a purpose to it, the players were playing with patience, knew what they were waiting for further upfield before moving forward and I liked it. Under Oscar it felt more like they had forgotten all that and were just passing it around the back out of habit and I found that boring. (Under Sami it felt like they were too scared to move forward).

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think in time he may well go down as one of Brighton's most forgettable managers. Hardly noticed his coming (started as interim coach or manager, and then just sort of stayed on as permanent), his tenure was uninspiring, pretty much carry on as per GP, only more cautiously, and after one season he quietly slipped away.
Some of us (and I admit that I was one) were actually quite excited when Hyypia was brought in to replace him. At the time, anyway.........

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Entertainment is dependent on the quality of players a manager has to work with. Garcia worked well with what he had at his disposal here and I would like to see what he could do if he had a strong squad.

Dec 29, 2011
I think he would have taken Watford up if he'd stayed. They have a good scouting network and plenty of resources to get Garcia the players he needs. I'm not so sure about Forest, whether they have the players they need to play his style of football. It'd be a rebuilding job if he did join and you'd have a few seasons of boring football.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Entertainment is dependent on the quality of players a manager has to work with. Garcia worked well with what he had at his disposal here and I would like to see what he could do if he had a strong squad.

agree - looking at some of the football he got maccabi playing on youtube, it looked electric - its what got people excited when it was first announced we got it. i reckon with the forest backing he could get them up in style next season

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think it's disgusting the way the indigenous islanders were kicked off Oscar Garcia, makes me ashamed to be British.

Just handed over to the Yanks, no compo for any one.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
agree - looking at some of the football he got maccabi playing on youtube, it looked electric - its what got people excited when it was first announced we got it. i reckon with the forest backing he could get them up in style next season

Yep if he stayed here we would be doing at least as well as Karanka is with Boro. Very similar in style.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
However he has zero charisma or fire in his belly, it's difficult to imagine how he could motivate a team (if at all) - which could go some way to explaining why we didn't turn up for the playoff games under him.

Slightly unfair comment there, had the team motivated for the first 20 minutes of the first leg before derby scored, but I think after that everyone just gave up.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Quiet bloke, boring football but did get us to the play offs. Given the injuries we had last year he did well, he'd be a success I think.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I heard stories of players complaining that Oscar never ever understood what their strengths were and that he would send them out to play with instructions that the players simply found confusing.

Maybe the players did not understand?

This might be down to management style or communication difficulties. OG proved he could be tactically astute.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
he doesn't really talk much, doesn't really move much and doesn't really change much.

he's a man who's very set in his ways- no doubt you'll start winning again and most likely you'll get promoted. but this will be though 1-0 wins and a slow style of football.

if your in it for promotion, hes your man. if you want something else, then look elsewhere

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well I think he wanted to be a coach rather than manager. He is a poor communicator. His teams are organised and will achieve reasonable results. He had Ulloa, without him things could have been a lot different (for the worse).

If you really want excitement and passion I would look elsewhere. He has left so many jobs I wonder at the extent to which his heart is in any.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wish he had never gone, lots and lots of time for him. Back him (unlike we did last January) and he will get you promoted (if you get him)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here