Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... ๐Ÿ˜Š

Oscar Garcia back to Tel Aviv

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Of course they wouldn't, that's not what I said. I just meant that Oscar isn't naturally a defensive coach.
Brighton playing defensive all season long is probably a result of the low quality of your squad.
You can't argue with results - Oscar led you to a very solid season.

What makes you so sure that Brighton's squad isn't as good? I'd say it is probably better, but the opposition in the championship is better too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Like I said - our last manager was signed by FC Basel.
It's just a proof for what success at Maccabi can lead you to.

Sami Hyypia is currently odds-on favourite for the Albion job. This is a former manager of Bayer Leverkusen, a club that in CL terms can be put on a par with FC Basel. So basically what you're saying is if a manager does well at MTA he can move on to a club with a bit of CL form - the sort of club that we're looking to get our next manager from!

In terms of career advancement, if you do a good job at the Albion you can end up in the Premier League - just ask Gus Poyet or Micky Adams. With all due respect to Basel to be managing in the Prem gives you a global profile and is a better career move.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
To be fair, there was an option to stay with Brighton ???

I admit that the move back isn't strange, but on the one hand you say there was no approach, and yet on the other, it sounds like he was lined up for it - or expecting it. If it is such a 'natural' move, then surely he would have known there was a huge probability he would end up back there.

I appreciate everything else you've written, and how the press twist things, and also know that no-one knows the real reason he left us. However, the way you pain the picture of the MTA and Oscar love-in, makes it seem pretty obvious he left one team to go back to his old team.

That's not what happened. He left Brighton because he wanted to leave Brighton. I don't know the reason for that. There was no talking with Maccabi at that time. Like I said - we still had a manager with a contract for another year.
Only after he left, which was a week ago, the option of returning Oscar to the club appeared.

I must confess to being totally ignorant on the subject of Israeli football, so maybe you could help me out on a couple of things.

1 On what basis do you calculate that MTA have a bigger budget than BHA ?
2 From the little information I can find, based on player value, stadium capacity, I would place MTA somewhere in the top half of the English First Division. What do I need to take into consideration to understand your perspective that MTA are the bigger team ?

1. Can't know that for sure, of course. That's just an assumption I made looking at the transfers of both clubs and the squads.
If if matters, in FM14, which I consider to be quite reliable when speaking about budgets - Maccabi's balance is 26m$, Brighton's 25m$.

2. My friend, you can't compare player values and stadium capacity and try to define the strength of the club by that.
England's culture of football is unique. 4th division clubs in England have huge stadiums and crowds. It doesn't mean they play good football.

I can't prove you Maccabi is a stronger team, you just have to watch both teams to understand this.
If it helps - Maccabi beat Eintracht Frankfurt 4-2, beat Bordeaux twice and draw with Basel twice this year in the Europa League. I really don't believe Brighton would have done that.

So "Big Fish, Small Pond" syndrome then. So he doesn't believe he can survive in a bigger pond? Pretty much what all of us are saying.

You don't get it either.
For European managers, neither Maccabi Tel Aviv nor Brighton are seen as final stations in their career. They should be interim stations that later on award them the opportunity to manage a bigger club from a better league.

The championship is definitely a good place to try - if one has success there, an upgrade to the Premier League is likely - like Poyet had.

Maccabi Tel Aviv is a good place too. It's not about the strength of the league - it's about how many eyes in the European football watch your work.
Winning the league and having a successful year in Europe beating known teams are achievements that draw attention from bigger clubs.

With the current squad and the current budget, both things are more than possible.
Our last manager, Paulo Sousa, got the chance to manage FC Basel, after only ONE successful year at Maccabi. Do you even understand what a huge step forward it is?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Oscar did a decent job for us, we were a much better team under Gus who himself was quite a cautious coach, the football was mind numbingly boring at times and our midfield would never commit themselves forward leaving one player in the box most of the time, that's all down to his tactics, nobody else's. You might say we had a good season and to a point I agree but IMO we were a much better side with Gus & went backwards with Oscar.

I'm pretty certain he had this lined up weeks ago, I said that when he left and I stand by it. Good luck to him, 2 seasons in a row now we've had bizzare managerial issues.

He definitely did not have this lined up before he left.

Source: his wife.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
1. Can't know that for sure, of course. That's just an assumption I made looking at the transfers of both clubs and the squads.
If if matters, in FM14, which I consider to be quite reliable when speaking about budgets - Maccabi's balance is 26m$, Brighton's 25m$.

2. My friend, you can't compare player values and stadium capacity and try to define the strength of the club by that.
England's culture of football is unique. 4th division clubs in England have huge stadiums and crowds. It doesn't mean they play good football.

So you can't compare player values and stadium capacity and try to define the strength of the club by that, but YOU CAN make the same comparison based on budget balances in FM14 :bowdown:

Thanks for popping by, it has been most entertaining.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
So you can't compare player values and stadium capacity and try to define the strength of the club by that, but YOU CAN make the same comparison based on budget balances in FM14 :bowdown:

Thanks for popping by, it has been most entertaining.

Like I said I based it on the transfers of both clubs. The comparison in FM14 was just to get a general idea of the budgets. I'm not saying it's exact - but it is close enough to the reality.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
in FM14, which I consider to be quite reliable when speaking about budgets - Maccabi's balance is 26m$, Brighton's 25m$.

Wasn't quite sure whether to take this guy seriously or not. Then he dropped this in.

:lolol:
Marvellous.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
Again, you're just focusing on the wrong thing. I didn't base my opinion on the game, I just checked the balances out of curiosity - even if it's not accurate, it's about right.

I mainly looked at the transfers, and saw that both clubs spend pretty much the same on new players - although you earn more from selling players.
The budgets are similar.
Brighton isn't a richer club, that's for sure.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Our last manager, Paulo Sousa, got the chance to manage FC Basel, after only ONE successful year at Maccabi. Do you even understand what a huge step forward it is?

And yet your current manager came to us after one successful season, found it too hard, bottled it and ran back to what he clearly sees as the safe option. It all says a lot more about Oscar & Paulo than it does about your club or your league.

I stand by my original statement. Oscar has shown himself to be a coward. Having found it too hard here he hasn't moved onwards, upwards or even sideways... he has gone BACKWARDS to the club he used to be at because he considers it easy. If he had been concerned about his european profile etc as you suggest then he'd have seen out his original contract with you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The same Paulo Sousa who couldn't get Swansea up and was an abject failure at Leicester? That one?

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
And yet your current manager came to us after one successful season, found it too hard, bottled it and ran back to what he clearly sees as the safe option. It all says a lot more about Oscar & Paulo than it does about your club or your league.

I stand by my original statement. Oscar has shown himself to be a coward. Having found it too hard here he hasn't moved onwards, upwards or even sideways... he has gone BACKWARDS to the club he used to be at because he considers it easy. If he had been concerned about his european profile etc as you suggest then he'd have seen out his original contract with you.

He didn't run back. I don't know why he resigned - but Poyet did the same. You can't claim he found it too hard and ran away, because Oscar made the play offs whether you like it or not. He didn't fail, that's a solid achievement.

After he resigned, the best offer he got was probably from Maccabi. I doubt he had offers from clubs better than Brighton in the Championship.

Like I said before, Oscar leaving Maccabi after the first year was a result of PERSONAL ISSUES. Family is above everything.
He planned to stay but the circumstances forced him to leave.

The same Paulo Sousa who couldn't get Swansea up and was an abject failure at Leicester? That one?

Yes, that one. Although I rather to see it as the same Paulo Sousa who led Swansea to their best season in the last 27 years of the club.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
He didn't run back. I don't know why he resigned - but Poyet did the same. You can't claim he found it too hard and ran away, because Oscar made the play offs whether you like it or not. He didn't fail, that's a solid achievement.

After he resigned, the best offer he got was probably from Maccabi. I doubt he had offers from clubs better than Brighton in the Championship.

Like I said before, Oscar leaving Maccabi after the first year was a result of PERSONAL ISSUES. Family is above everything.

Yes, that one. Although I rather to see it as the same Paulo Sousa who led Swansea to their best season in the last 27 years of the club.

2nd account

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Palace tool.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I am on record as frequently saying that he really impressed me because it did manage this despite the problems he faced and never have I even intimated that he failed. However having achieved what he did, HE RESIGNED (or in other words... he bottled it, he quit, he couldn't hack it, or whichever phrase takes your fancy) and went back to his previous club. That to me would be the text book definition of running away.

After two consecutive jobs, failing to see out his contractual obligations, I wouldn't be massively surprised if Maccabi were his ONLY option.

However good or bad a manager he is, he's a coward - plain and simple.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

ืื ื ืกืคืง ื›ืžื” ื”ื•ื›ื—ื” ืœื›ืš ืฉืืชื” ืชื•ืžืš ื‘ืชืœ ืื‘ื™ื‘

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I am on record as frequently saying that he really impressed me because it did manage this despite the problems he faced and never have I even intimated that he failed. However having achieved what he did, HE RESIGNED (or in other words... he bottled it, he quit, he couldn't hack it, or whichever phrase takes your fancy) and went back to his previous club. That to me would be the text book definition of running away.

After two consecutive jobs, failing to see out his contractual obligations, I wouldn't be massively surprised if Maccabi were his ONLY option.

However good or bad a manager he is, he's a coward - plain and simple.

When someone resigns, they're bottling it and a coward?

Absolute nonsense.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
ืื ื ืกืคืง ื›ืžื” ื”ื•ื›ื—ื” ืœื›ืš ืฉืืชื” ืชื•ืžืš ื‘ืชืœ ืื‘ื™ื‘

ืืชื ื—ื‘ื•ืจื” ืฉืœ ืื”ื‘ืœื™ื ืžืชื ืฉืื™ื. ืžืกืคื™ืง ื˜ื•ื‘ ืื• ืฉื’ื•ื’ืœ ืœื ื™ืชืจื’ื ืืช ื–ื”?

When someone resigns, they're bottling it and a coward?

Absolute nonsense.

...that's my point. that's what I'm trying to say during the last 3-4 pages.
Never seen such an arrogant, narrow minded group of fans.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
ืืชื ื—ื‘ื•ืจื” ืฉืœ ืื”ื‘ืœื™ื ืžืชื ืฉืื™ื. ืžืกืคื™ืง ื˜ื•ื‘ ืื• ืฉื’ื•ื’ืœ ืœื ื™ืชืจื’ื ืืช ื–ื”?

...that's my point. that's what I'm trying to say during the last 3-4 pages.
Never seen such an arrogant, narrow minded group of fans.

From what little I know....
1. he felt that he was unable to progress with Brighton because of how things are structured (like player recruitment).
2. When he left he did not have another job lined up.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
From what little I know....
1. he felt that he was unable to progress with Brighton because of how things are structured (like player recruitment).
2. When he left he did not have another job lined up.

Number 2 is 100% true. Number 1 is the way I see it too.
I just can't understand the attitude of most of the users here - "if he left, he's a coward. If he preferred a different challenge over the one he had in the championship, he's a coward"

So egocentric and arrogant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here