Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia back to Tel Aviv

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Maccabi under Oscar was one of the most attacking and fascinating teams we had.
78 goals in 36 matches ( 41 goals in 30 matches in the previous season).

Did you ever consider that Brighton was so defensive and boring last season because your team is just not good enough to play attractive football and have success?

Yes I did, then when the squad was fit and he kept picking defensive minded players (especially in midfield) over attacking ones left on the bench I started to lose faith in him. We barely got anyone in the box during attacks, he'd had the whole season to rectify this in training but it seems he didn't.

Then again, stick Maccabi in the Championship and they wouldn't be scoring 70 odd goals a season, no way.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
Yes I did, then when the squad was fit and he kept picking defensive minded players (especially in midfield) over attacking ones left on the bench I started to lose faith in him. We barely got anyone in the box during attacks, he'd had the whole season to rectify this in training but it seems he didn't.

Then again, stick Maccabi in the Championship and they wouldn't be scoring 70 odd goals a season, no way.

Of course they wouldn't, that's not what I said. I just meant that Oscar isn't naturally a defensive coach.
Brighton playing defensive all season long is probably a result of the low quality of your squad.
You can't argue with results - Oscar led you to a very solid season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Of course they wouldn't, that's not what I said. I just meant that Oscar isn't naturally a defensive coach.
Brighton playing defensive all season long is probably a result of the low quality of your squad.

A fair point, but any half decent coach would have played to the squads strengths, not expect average players to play like Barca in a very tough physical league.

Yes he did what he was asked to do, get us into the play offs, but my point was that is was extremely tedious to watch along the way. Quite a few games we had NO SHOTS on target and the odd game with NO SHOTS on goal.

Our squad is good enough by far to compete at the top of the championship but he set the team out that couldn't even create a shot on quite a few occasions.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Did you ever consider that Brighton was so defensive and boring last season because your team is just not good enough to play attractive football and have success?

Tel Aviv is NOT an unsafe area. Quit believing all the bullshit you hear in the media. The rest of the things you said aren't true either.
I invite you to read my last post.

Oh dear. You've started to sound like a Palace troll now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Having watched and played for 30+ years, I can only go on what I see. Oscar is primarily a defensive coach and there is nothing wrong with that as it brought him a small degree of success.

However, despite a crippling injury list for the first half of the season, to only have one player in the box when you are attacking is ridiculous.

It is also fair to say that we were not a good team last year and IMO went backwards. We made the play-off's largely due to other teams failing when it mattered.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
A fair point, but any half decent coach would have played to the squads strengths, not expect average players to play like Barca in a very tough physical league.

Yes he did what he was asked to do, get us into the play offs, but my point was that is was extremely tedious to watch along the way. Quite a few games we had NO SHOTS on target and the odd game with NO SHOTS on goal.

Our squad is good enough by far to compete at the top of the championship but he set the team out that couldn't even create a shot on quite a few occasions.

Maybe Oscar doesn't suit the English type of football. I didn't come here to convince you he is a great manager anyway.
Just wanted to make it clear that his decision to go back to Maccabi isn't strange. It seems to me that most of you believe that you are an amazing place to be in, just because you play in the championship.
The truth is that Maccabi is a better team, and despite playing in a worse league, we have advantages for a manager that you can't offer.

You're probably not aware of the three wingers on the bench fiasco. It summed Oscar up for many of us.

But you're happy. We're happy. Wonderful.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Maybe Oscar doesn't suit the English type of football. I didn't come here to convince you he is a great manager anyway.
Just wanted to make it clear that his decision to go back to Maccabi isn't strange. It seems to me that most of you believe that you are an amazing place to be in, just because you play in the championship.
The truth is that Maccabi is a better team, and despite playing in a worse league, we have advantages for a manager that you can't offer.

So "Big Fish, Small Pond" syndrome then. So he doesn't believe he can survive in a bigger pond? Pretty much what all of us are saying.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Any half decent team in a European tinpot league could offer him that, from Celtic to Total Network Solutions in Wales.

This move shows he lacks ambition and the fight for a real challenge.

Reckon you or me could lead Maccabi to the Israeli title, its a backwater league. Sorry.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Oscar did a decent job for us, we were a much better team under Gus who himself was quite a cautious coach, the football was mind numbingly boring at times and our midfield would never commit themselves forward leaving one player in the box most of the time, that's all down to his tactics, nobody else's. You might say we had a good season and to a point I agree but IMO we were a much better side with Gus & went backwards with Oscar.

I'm pretty certain he had this lined up weeks ago, I said that when he left and I stand by it. Good luck to him, 2 seasons in a row now we've had bizzare managerial issues.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
Any half decent team in a European tinpot league could offer him that, from Celtic to Total Network Solutions in Wales.

This move shows he lacks ambition and the fight for a real challenge.

Reckon you or me could lead Maccabi to the Israeli title, its a backwater league. Sorry.

Celtic can reach maybe the top 16 of the EL. Maccabi reached the top 32. TNS can't reach anything.
Are you seriously saying it's the same thing?
Having success in Europe with an unknown team is a big push in a career of a European manager. If you have a big budget and a solid squad, that's possible - and that's the situation at Maccabi.

Like I said - our last manager was signed by FC Basel.
It's just a proof for what success at Maccabi can lead you to.

by the way, neither you or me can lead Maccabi to win the league.
Before Oscar, we didn't win the league for 10 years. The Israeli league isn't great, but it's competitive.

Maccabi is the only Plan B Oscar ever had

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi guys. An Israeli Maccabi supporter here.
I've read all of your comments and wanted to clarify some things and maybe give you a new perspective.

1. During the year, Oscar was quoted in the British media talking about the missles in Tel Aviv.
This quotations were small details of his stories about life in Israel, but the media decided to put it as a headline - because it sells better.
Oscar loves Tel Aviv and the life in Israel. He already stated in an interview that after he finishes his career as a manager, if he doesn't go back to Barcelona, he'd like to live in Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv is a very safe city, don't get deceived by the media.

2. Oscar left Maccabi in the first place because of personal issues with his ex-wife and his daughters. Not because he didn't settle in Israel, and not because he wanted to move to a bigger league.
These issues are solved now.

3. His decision to go back to Maccabi does not show a lack of ambition. He didn't have any offer from the Premier League, and Celtic didn't want him either.
Maccabi was his best offer.

To be fair, there was always the option of staying with Brighton?

Keep in mind that he didn't leave Brighton to go to Maccabi. When he left, Maccabi still had a very successful manager that had a contract for another year.
This manager received an offer from Basel a week ago and decided to leave. Then and only then Maccabi approached Oscar for the first time.

4. You guys underestimate Maccabi.
It's true that the Championship is a much, much better league than the Israeli one. Nothing to compare here.
Yet, Maccabi Tel Aviv offers Oscar different opportunities.
First, the budget is bigger. That's one of the reasons that Maccabi, as a team, is stronger and better than Brighton.
Second, Maccabi participates in Europe, something that Brighton will not do in the near future.
Last year Maccabi reached the knock out stage of the Europa League after missing the qualification for the CL group stage.
This year, with an improved UEFA clubs ranking, the club has a better chance of qualifying to the CL. The group stage of the EL at least should be a sure thing.

Playing and managing in that competition offers big opportunities.
Our last manager, Paulo Sousa, who won the league with Maccabi and had a succesful European campaign, signed this summer with FC Basel like I mentioned before. FC Basel is a very big club in European terms.

Last, and not less important:
The fans of Maccabi treat Oscar like a God. He gets huge ammounts of love there.

The decision to go back to Maccabi isn't strange at all, it's even quite natural.

To be fair, there was an option to stay with Brighton ???

I admit that the move back isn't strange, but on the one hand you say there was no approach, and yet on the other, it sounds like he was lined up for it - or expecting it. If it is such a 'natural' move, then surely he would have known there was a huge probability he would end up back there.

I appreciate everything else you've written, and how the press twist things, and also know that no-one knows the real reason he left us. However, the way you pain the picture of the MTA and Oscar love-in, makes it seem pretty obvious he left one team to go back to his old team.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Celtic can reach maybe the top 16 of the EL. Maccabi reached the top 32. TNS can't reach anything.
Are you seriously saying it's the same thing?
Having success in Europe with an unknown team is a big push in a career of a European manager. If you have a big budget and a solid squad, that's possible - and that's the situation at Maccabi.

Like I said - our last manager was signed by FC Basel.
It's just a proof for what success at Maccabi can lead you to.

by the way, neither you or me can lead Maccabi to win the league.
Before Oscar, we didn't win the league for 10 years. The Israeli league isn't great, but it's competitive.

I must confess to being totally ignorant on the subject of Israeli football, so maybe you could help me out on a couple of things.

1 On what basis do you calculate that MTA have a bigger budget than BHA ?
2 From the little information I can find, based on player value, stadium capacity, I would place MTA somewhere in the top half of the English First Division. What do I need to take into consideration to understand your perspective that MTA are the bigger team ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here