Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Operation Market garden failed....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do try to enjoy most games. But that is the point, I shouldn't have to try, it should just come naturally.

Well I'm absolutely loving the ride at the moment. Best time to be an Albion fan in decades. If you can't see that, I feel sorry for you.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Was going to write a very similar thread as I agree with nearly all you have written.

My biggest beef is the striker situation. It has been painfully obvious for so long that the current situation is just not working. To many missed chances has become increasingly frustrating.
It would appear, but probably not in reality, that strikers of other Championship clubs, instinctively know how to bury a ball in the net.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On a serious note though I agree with much of the original post. I have it on good authority that at least some, if not most, of the first team squad are also of the opinion that we are in no way ready for promotion yet. We are a work in progress. Another season or two in the Championship with some squad building and that much needed target man up front is what we should be realistically looking at before even thinking of the Prem. And even then we'll still be competing with loads of other similar sized clubs who also have no God given right to go up. If we get into the play offs this season then all well and good, and of course we should give it our best shot, but if we did sneak up we'd be murdered for the vast majority of next season unless we spent shedloads of money we don't have, thus destabilising the club.

I'm still loving life in The Championship, loving the fact that we've shoved the words "you'll never fill your ground" down the throats of so many with our large support. Some of the support may well be transient, but the majority certainly isn't. People want to come and watch decent football played in a great stadium. That won't be changing anytime soon. I'm loving seeing Brighton shirts worn with pride everywhere I go, loving the prospect of the Academy bearing fruit in years to come. Yes, we lost to Palace, and that always hurts. We'll lose to them again, and beat them again, and then we'll have bragging rights again for a while.

This season probably hinges on whether we can get a decent target man in January. If we don't, if we end up just outside the play offs again, then it won't have been a failure in my eyes, Rome wasn't built in a day and that.

:thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I guess it all just boils down to the realisation that we are currently an average Championship team with one or two quality players, trying to compete with more established Championship teams and ex Premiership teams.

If we accept that then we are doing well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Were you stood next to me when richard an I were discussing it in the portacabin prior to ordering my season ticket? If not the apart from your excellent post above, making some good points, then your comment "fact" is total bollocks.

unless you have it written in your ticket T&C or can find the clause in the law that gives the AMEX an exemption, it is a fact. you might like to think if Hebbard had the authority to offer what you say he did, and what if anything you want to do about that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
An arsenal fan telling me that Richard Hebbard did not say to me that the back rows of the north stand would be tolerated standing/seating?

Were you stood next to me when richard an I were discussing it in the portacabin prior to ordering my season ticket? If not the apart from your excellent post above, making some good points, then your comment "fact" is total bollocks.

Yeah he does lose a fair few points for the preachy and inaccurate bollocks about all-seater stadia.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Some of the threads this morning were unbelievable... im still happy with our work in progress, and eternally grateful that im not a Palace fan.

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
My opinion was in no way meant to be preachy and you seeing my comments about the stadium being 'bollocks' is fine with me. Your comment is an opinion. The health and safety act which governs newly built sporting venue's such as the Amex would not allow for an 'Operations Manager' to say otherwise. No matter how good Richard Hebbard is .......... he doesn't posses that kind of power. Its simple modern day H&S

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My opinion was in no way meant to be preachy and you seeing my comments about the stadium being 'bollocks' is fine with me. Your comment is an opinion. The health and safety act which governs newly built sporting venue's such as the Amex would not allow for an 'Operations Manager' to say otherwise. No matter how good Richard Hebbard is .......... he doesn't posses that kind of power. Its simple modern day H&S

Yeah whatever

About time you started preaching to your fans who whenever they are on telly, stand every game.

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
An arsenal fan telling me that Richard Hebbard did not say to me that the back rows of the north stand would be tolerated standing/seating?

I never suggested that the Operations Manager of the Withdean Stadium (Richard Hebberd) did not say those words to you....... possibly whilst you were still at Withdean as you talk about portacabins.

I would however say this, Richard Hebberd is The Operations Manager of the American Express Stadium, he is NOT the Safety Officer or the Health and Safety Manager, he does not issue the local safety certificate so the stadium can open (for every game) and for every bit I hate H&S..... the stadium is an ALL SEATER STADIUM, that is FACT not my opinion. Richard Hebberd does not have the authority to change this, as i said I was not with you, so i don't know why Richard has told you this.......... perhaps to sell more seats, to keep you happy...... or simply as i said at the time of being at Withdean possibly thought that this might have been the case!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
At the presentation I attended Martin Perry said standing would be tolerated in the back 4 rows of the North Stand. Perhaps it was naive of the board not to realise the rest of the stand would
try and stand up as well, but I do believe they have brought the standing situation upon themselves.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I never suggested that the Operations Manager of the Withdean Stadium (Richard Hebberd) did not say those words to you....... possibly whilst you were still at Withdean as you talk about portacabins.

I would however say this, Richard Hebberd is The Operations Manager of the American Express Stadium, he is NOT the Safety Officer or the Health and Safety Manager, he does not issue the local safety certificate so the stadium can open (for every game) and for every bit I hate H&S..... the stadium is an ALL SEATER STADIUM, that is FACT not my opinion. Richard Hebberd does not have the authority to change this, as i said I was not with you, so i don't know why Richard has told you this.......... perhaps to sell more seats, to keep you happy...... or simply as i said at the time of being at Withdean possibly thought that this might have been the case!

Humour me.....are you the steward at withdean who used to march up and down in shiny boots a nd a benny hat?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The portacabins at the Amex when they were doing the presentation of the ground to prospective season ticket holders...did you not know that mr steward?

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
Mr Steward............ hmmmm no, still serving until a a year ago!! but I do have shinny boots ........ no hat tho!! sorry!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here