Operation Market garden failed....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
Good Morning.

Just thought id share my thoughts with you on life at the Amex and BHAFC from an outsider's point of view.

For some time I have watched NSC with interest, watched the posts, the responding comments and thoughts of other Brighton Supporters.

I think you need to look at things in prospective.

On Gus........
He is only 45 years old, which means if the club keep going in the right direction you have a manager to keep leading you the way forward. He has an approach to a different style of football, which is admired by some top managers. He has had to re-build and make bigger the backroom staff, suggest players he would like to bring in to the 'Head of Football Operations', who then says we cant afford them, but we can afford these.

Gus has only just completed his third year with the club. In his short time at the club he has over seen :

09-10 He steered Albion clear of relegation,
10-11 Promotion as Champions to the Championship,
11-12 The successful move to the Amex and a good solid start to the Championship, excellent cup run including beating two premiership teams and drawing with Liverpool at home.
12-13 Started very well and sitting in 8th place, only 9 points off of 1st place
13-14 Start with 30'000 seater stadium and in December move to a brand new state of the art training centre

Surely you as the supporters did not expect back to back promotions to the Premiership. The club do not have the players needed to make any kind of impact on the Premiership. Gus can not attract starts to the club when they still currently get changed for training in kitted out 'containers' essentially.

On the Players..........
The current crop of player are already a credit to themselves and the club. Its simple maths, with the amount of Div 1 and low level Championship players the club have on their books from gaining promotion, it would be impossible to replace them in 1 or 2 seasons to make going into the premiership worth while.

Casper Ankergram
Peter Brezovan
Marcus Painter
Adam El Abd who's proffesionelism is beyond belief
Gordon Greer
Lewis Dunk (un-tested at higher level)
Liam Bridcutt
Ryan Harley
Gary Dicker
Matt Sparrow
Craig Mackill Smith
Ashley Barnes
Will Hoskins

Let alone replacing the older players who in that time would become ineffective at that level.

Vicente
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Thomas Kuzack
Gordon Greer (Again)

Where you have come from...

Since 1997 famous draw against Hereford that saved the club. The club has since employed 12 managers, of which has seen the club move up and down the leagues but never consolidate their position.

4 promotions, 2 relegation's, 3 stadiums and 15 years later...........

2012 has seen the club compete with clubs up and down the country who have more money to spend and a better crop of established Championship and lower premiership quality of players.

At Home at the Amex

May 2011 - moved to brand new state of the Art the stadium, in which you have 22'500 seats to sit on.
Ive seen enough posts on here about north stand stewards and the issues of sitting.
This is not the 80's / 90's, the laughable attitude of some 'supporters' who have watched one to many films and think its an opportunity to act like a thug is just plain out dated and boring. You want to fight and act the big hard man go to Afghan.
I do share the frustration of supporter tho who are told to sit down whilst away supporters are pretty much left alone. That is something the club have to address.

All seater stadiums were brought in after numerous incidents around the world with over crowding and deaths. The fact that some supporters are physically fighting each other in the stand only shows how childish some are.

Stewards are there for YOUR safety, not to be abused and hit like at the Bolton game. Most of the staff at the stadium are Brighton supporters, so feel your frustration. They have normal jobs, just like you, they get paid but work extra to ensure your safety, you would soon require there help if you lost your child, your ticket doesn't work, require first aid or should it ever happen you would listen to them if the stadium had to be evacuated.

The club did NOT sell the tickets for the rear 8 rows as 'standing' and i know this for a fact. Whether it was a 'relaxed' approach towards the rear 8 rows or 'we'll take our time getting to the rear 8 rows' is more unclear. Stewards do not enjoy repeatedly telling people to sit down, however that is the agreed approach with the people who issue the safety certificate for the stadium. So people who decide to purposely start the chant of 'stand up if you hate palace' just to piss stewards off will obviously be removed! Has anyone actually thought about working with the stewards and enjoying the football rather than arguing all the time, remember not all members of the north stand are able to stand for 90 minutes, some people (Young ladies and lads) are to small to stand and watch.

Just because you consider the north stand to be the 'die hard' supporter stand doesn't make you any more of a supporter than those in the upper west or lower east who do listen to their stewards.

This is by no means to insult people or question your support, however more patience is required especially with Gus and the players. The club do not have millions and millions of pounds to buy established premiership players. The Club is still growing and in some parts especially on the non playing side of the club still has the small 'withdean' mentality.

What you are asking is to go from a run down corner shop to an all signing and dancing Super market in 4 years.

To sum up............ The club do not want to take part in the 'Operation Market Garden' effect, one of the biggest military failures ever. In another words what is the point of rushing the process of getting to the premiership only to have to come back down again. Why not build up, appreciate what you have, get the momentum going, ensure everything is in the right place...... THEN go for an all out assault.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
In that time our wonderful manager has shown many calls of poor judgement.

One enormous one that now everyone is acutely aware of that needs an explanation not bullshit.

Turning up away at a top team without a defender on the bench! Take a look at the team sheet virtually every game!

It's not that we forget from where we have come, it's that we know it could be so much better.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good Morning.

Just thought id share my thoughts with you on life at the Amex and BHAFC from an outsider's point of view.

For some time I have watched NSC with interest, watched the posts, the responding comments and thoughts of other Brighton Supporters.

On Gus........
He is only 45 years old, which means if the club keep going in the right direction you have a manager to keep leading you the way forward. He has an approach to a different style of football, which is admired by some top managers. He has had to re-build and make bigger the backroom staff, suggest players he would like to bring in to the 'Head of Football Operations', who then says we cant afford them, but we can afford these.

Gus has only just completed his third year with the club. In his short time at the club he has over seen :

11-12 The successful move to the Amex and a good solid start to the Championship, excellent cup run including beating two premiership teams and drawing with Liverpool at home.
12-13 Started very well and sitting in 8th place, only 9 points off of 1st place
13-14 Start with 30'000 seater stadium and in December move to a brand new state of the art training centre

Surely you as the supporters did not expect back to back promotions to the Premiership. The club do not have the players needed to make any kind of impact on the Premiership. Gus can not attract starts to the club when they still currently get changed for training in kitted out 'containers' essentially.

On the Players..........
The current crop of player are already a credit to themselves and the club. Its simple maths, with the amount of Div 1 and low level Championship players the club have on their books from gaining promotion, it would be impossible to replace them in 1 or 2 seasons to make going into the premiership worth while.

Casper Ankergram
Peter Brezovan
Marcus Painter
Gordon Greer
Liam Bridcutt
Ryan Harley
Gary Dicker
Matt Sparrow
Craig Mackill Smith
Ashley Barnes
Will Hoskins

Let alone replacing the older players who in that time would become ineffective at that level.

Vicente
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Thomas Kuzack
Gordon Greer (Again)

Since 1997 famous draw against Hereford that saved the club. The club has since employed 12 managers, of which has seen the club move up and down the leagues but never consolidate their position.

2012 has seen the club compete with clubs up and down the country who have more money to spend and a better crop of established Championship and lower premiership quality of players.

At Home at the Amex

May 2011 - moved to brand new state of the Art the stadium, in which you have 22'500 seats to sit on.
Ive seen enough posts on here about north stand stewards and the issues of sitting.
This is not the 80's / 90's, the laughable attitude of some 'supporters' who have watched one to many films and think its an opportunity to act like a thug is just plain out dated and boring. You want to fight and act the big hard man go to Afghan.
I do share the frustration of supporter tho who are told to sit down whilst away supporters are pretty much left alone. That is something the club have to address.

All seater stadiums were brought in after numerous incidents around the world with over crowding and deaths. The fact that some supporters are physically fighting each other in the stand only shows how childish some are.

Stewards are there for YOUR safety, not to be abused and hit like at the Bolton game. Most of the staff at the stadium are Brighton supporters, so feel your frustration. They have normal jobs, just like you, they get paid but work extra to ensure your safety, you would soon require there help if you lost your child, your ticket doesn't work, require first aid or should it ever happen you would listen to them if the stadium had to be evacuated.

The club did NOT sell the tickets for the rear 8 rows as 'standing' and i know this for a fact. Whether it was a 'relaxed' approach towards the rear 8 rows or 'we'll take our time getting to the rear 8 rows' is more unclear. Stewards do not enjoy repeatedly telling people to sit down, however that is the agreed approach with the people who issue the safety certificate for the stadium. So people who decide to purposely start the chant of 'stand up if you hate palace' just to piss stewards off will obviously be removed! Has anyone actually thought about working with the stewards and enjoying the football rather than arguing all the time, remember not all members of the north stand are able to stand for 90 minutes, some people (Young ladies and lads) are to small to stand and watch.

Just because you consider the north stand to be the 'die hard' supporter stand doesn't make you any more of a supporter than those in the upper west or lower east who do listen to their stewards.

This is by no means to insult people or question your support, however more patience is required especially with Gus and the players. The club do not have millions and millions of pounds to buy established premiership players. The Club is still growing and in some parts especially on the non playing side of the club still has the small 'withdean' mentality.

What you are asking is to go from a run down corner shop to an all signing and dancing Super market in 4 years.

To sum up............ The club do not want to take part in the 'Operation Market Garden' effect, one of the biggest military failures ever. In another words what is the point of rushing the process of getting to the premiership only to have to come back down again. Why not build up, appreciate what you have, get the momentum going, ensure everything is in the right place...... THEN go for an all out assault.

Such accuracy, realism and common sense has no place on NSC. Please do not do it again!

On a serious note, I couldn't agree more with what you've written.

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
Trust me as an Arsenal supporter i know how that feels. However it shows all managers no matter who they are make poor judgmental calls sometimes.

Wenger is one of the worse, Ferguson isnt far behind!!

Its easier to remember the bad, but you need to remember the good aswell

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Trust me as an Arsenal supporter i know how that feels. However it shows all managers no matter who they are make poor judgmental calls sometimes.

Wenger is one of the worse, Ferguson isnt far behind!!

Its easier to remember the bad, but you need to remember the good aswell

This is the truth but there are fans who love to focus on the negatives and then make out that they are better fans because they see it and the positive fans are just happy clappers who are blinkered.
The negative miseries cannot come up with a manager's name that would be better, and can't because as you say, all managers make poor judgement calls. That's life and we deal with it and move on.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A voice of intelligence. Well written and well thought through. You will still have some that will dismiss the evidence you've put up here.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
:wink:

para-1.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
An arsenal fan telling me that Richard Hebbard did not say to me that the back rows of the north stand would be tolerated standing/seating?

Were you stood next to me when richard an I were discussing it in the portacabin prior to ordering my season ticket? If not the apart from your excellent post above, making some good points, then your comment "fact" is total bollocks.

D

Deleted User X18H

Good Morning.

On Gus........

On the Players..........

Casper Ankergram
Peter Brezovan
Marcus Painter
Gordon Greer
Liam Bridcutt
Ryan Harley
Gary Dicker
Matt Sparrow
Craig Mackill Smith
Ashley Barnes
Will Hoskins

Vicente
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Thomas Kuzack
Gordon Greer (Again)

At Home at the Amex

Drawing with Liverpool at home? I missed that one.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Good Morning.

On Gus........

On the Players..........

Casper Ankergram
Peter Brezovan
Marcus Painter
Gordon Greer
Liam Bridcutt
Ryan Harley
Gary Dicker
Matt Sparrow
Craig Mackill Smith
Ashley Barnes
Will Hoskins

Vicente
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Thomas Kuzack
Gordon Greer (Again)

At Home at the Amex

Spot on. I'm perfectly happy living in the top half of the Championship for the time being. Is Poyet faultless - of course not. Is he the best manager we've had in 30 years - probably.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Good Morning.

On Gus........

On the Players..........

Casper Ankergram
Peter Brezovan
Marcus Painter
Gordon Greer
Liam Bridcutt
Ryan Harley
Gary Dicker
Matt Sparrow
Craig Mackill Smith
Ashley Barnes
Will Hoskins

Vicente
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Thomas Kuzack
Gordon Greer (Again)

At Home at the Amex

You must be in 1 para if you can write like that.

Good post sir

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not that we forget from where we have come, it's that we know it could be so much better.

Yes, but things could also be a lot, lot, LOT worse than they are. Things can always be better than they are, even if you're Man City. If you always have that attitude, you'll never enjoy it. It's an unbelievable time to be an Albion fan. Enjoy the ride.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I don't want our club to become an all signing (sic) and dancing Super market . We're not Palace

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Yes, but things could also be a lot, lot, LOT worse than they are. Things can always be better than they are, even if you're Man City. If you always have that attitude, you'll never enjoy it. It's an unbelievable time to be an Albion fan. Enjoy the ride.

I do try to enjoy most games. But that is the point, I shouldn't have to try, it should just come naturally.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
On a serious note though I agree with much of the original post. I have it on good authority that at least some, if not most, of the first team squad are also of the opinion that we are in no way ready for promotion yet. We are a work in progress. Another season or two in the Championship with some squad building and that much needed target man up front is what we should be realistically looking at before even thinking of the Prem. And even then we'll still be competing with loads of other similar sized clubs who also have no God given right to go up. If we get into the play offs this season then all well and good, and of course we should give it our best shot, but if we did sneak up we'd be murdered for the vast majority of next season unless we spent shedloads of money we don't have, thus destabilising the club.

I'm still loving life in The Championship, loving the fact that we've shoved the words "you'll never fill your ground" down the throats of so many with our large support. Some of the support may well be transient, but the majority certainly isn't. People want to come and watch decent football played in a great stadium. That won't be changing anytime soon. I'm loving seeing Brighton shirts worn with pride everywhere I go, loving the prospect of the Academy bearing fruit in years to come. Yes, we lost to Palace, and that always hurts. We'll lose to them again, and beat them again, and then we'll have bragging rights again for a while.

This season probably hinges on whether we can get a decent target man in January. If we don't, if we end up just outside the play offs again, then it won't have been a failure in my eyes, Rome wasn't built in a day and that.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In that time our wonderful manager has shown many calls of poor judgement.

One enormous one that now everyone is acutely aware of that needs an explanation not bullshit.

Turning up away at a top team without a defender on the bench! Take a look at the team sheet virtually every game!

I thought all our defenders were injured?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Lots of common sense in the original post. There are lots of people who think similarly and know where we've come from and most importantly the value of patience. There are also equal numbers of people who want it all now. I remember some fans at our first home games at Gillingham berating Dick Knight for not getting out his chequebook when it was obvious that the whole focus of the club was on commercial survival.

It's pretty obvious that off-loading Murray was with hindsight a mistake (personally at the time I thought that he still had too much of an attitude problem, but he has proved me wrong there) and we can all question some of Gus's selections (just as we questioned some made by Slade, Wilkins, Adams et al before him).

Totally agree that we are in a much better place these days, with great potential to make it to the top level and I am sure that some time in the next 3 years we will. That'll do for me.

I still think we need better buses on the Racecourse P&R (ones that won't break down or struggle to get up hills). There you go, you see you just cannot please everyone!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Good Morning.

On Gus........

On the Players..........

Casper Ankergram
Peter Brezovan
Marcus Painter
Gordon Greer
Liam Bridcutt
Ryan Harley
Gary Dicker
Matt Sparrow
Craig Mackill Smith
Ashley Barnes
Will Hoskins

Vicente
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Thomas Kuzack
Gordon Greer (Again)

At Home at the Amex

My thoughts exactly, well put. I'm not criticising others but 'perspective' will always be dropped in favour of 'immediate' in football. But I reckon there's a vast silent majority who have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports