Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only 250 quid to [jump the queue for*] the Seven Stars Sports bar.. [* = get in to]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Time and money prevent us from going to Seven Stars more than 2 or 3 times a season.
It's a shame as the kids absolutely love it in there, and always, without fail, ask if there's time to go in.

It's never not been anything other than full to the rafters, which I guess explains the tariff.

I guess we'll not be back.

Time and money prevent us from going to Seven Stars more than 2 or 3 times a season.
It's a shame as the kids absolutely love it in there, and always, without fail, ask if there's time to go in.

It's never not been anything other than full to the rafters, which I guess explains the tariff.

I guess we'll not be back.

The fact that the place fills up does NOT explain the charge. If filling up was the key criterion, they would be charging admission to Dick's. They aren't.

I can only assume that it's the fact that this is a family bar that makes it worthwhile charging the customers. They have children who will put pressure on their parents to cough up.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
This bar has been weird for a while. It started life as the East Stand Brasserie and that was great initially as hardly anyone knew about it and it was a comfortable place to have a post-match pint.

Then it became a 'sports bar' and things became a little weird. The staff would make people queue outside even when it was empty. It seemed to double as an entrance for 1901 people and temporary kiosks manned by suited gentleman and ladies would spring up by the entrance. 1901 people were given priority with the queue being held- though they do pay a lot of money so that is OK. Did it strike anyone else as odd that the club paid a woman to sit on a chair all night outside the toilets reading a book?

It was, however, popular- at least for an hour after the end of games. Large queues at the bar at 3.15 were a pain (hard to avoid in fairness) and the fact that Harveys runs out by 3.25 every week has become a running joke (this should have been sorted out by now in fairness). For dads and mums who liked a drink with similar people from other stands it was great and I used to go there with mates as you could watch football or rugby, often in a seat, more easily than you could in Dicks. This, I think, was viewed as a problem. The club wanted me to go to Dicks but I preferred 7 Stars. And so then they re-imagined their entrance policy. Suddenly you were only allowed in if you had a child. This is odd. Whilst a logical solution to a perceived problem, you then had fans being held at the door whilst other, similar fans -but with children with them -being allowed in. Literally children being given priority over adults to get into a bar.

It's really not a good bar either. It is convenient and ticks a few boxes, but the service is average, the beer runs out and it is essentially just a brightly lit room.

So what is the idea of a £250 charge? Will only the people who pay it be allowed in? Will they stop discriminating against the childless? Will there be a pay-on-the-door fee? It's hard to imagine anyone paying £10+ to get into a bar that like that. I would guess that it will be a sort of slightly rubbish private members bar for people willing to pay £250 per year. They will probably throw in a pie.

This feels like a situation where a series of seemingly logical decisions can end up with a ridiculous outcome. For what it's worth, I guess I will be sticking to drinking in the concourses after games. It's not so bad in the ESL. Maybe if I ask Mr Barber nicely he could lay on a few chairs.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Sweet baby Jesus of Nazareth.

250 QUID to sit in a f**cking bar.

Can't see it saying anywhere that the £250 would guarantee you a seat!. £250 to stand in a bar (although at those prices I guess it wouldn't sell out)

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If you are to charge £250 I would expect that to include free drinks,meal and programme pre & post match.

yes after all it is more than £10 Game so Program, Pie and soft drink for Kids or Program Pie and Pint for adults. Club would still be making money.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
True and you've also missed the salient point where they described it as the 'Seven Stars MEMBERS bar.

Just opened this thread to say the same thing: "7 Stars Members' Bar". I wonder when they'll announce how much it is, game by game, if that will even be an option.

Another thing. What does this mean from the same newsletter: "Brighton & Hove Albion are set to make a number of upgrades to the Family Area in the East Stand at the Amex for the new 2016/17 season.

This will include giving post-match access to the facilities for all families, regardless of where their seats are situated during the game."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The fact that the place fills up does NOT explain the charge. If filling up was the key criterion, they would be charging admission to Dick's. They aren't.

I can only assume that it's the fact that this is a family bar that makes it worthwhile charging the customers. They have children who will put pressure on their parents to cough up.

I can only assume that those aiming to charge for 'Seven Stars Sports Bar membership' somehow assumed that we got promoted last season and can now charge stupid Premier League prices for every damn thing.

Total shower of shit and totally unworthy of the football club that the fans - regardless of spending power - saved from extinction.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another thing. What does this mean from the same newsletter: "Brighton & Hove Albion are set to make a number of upgrades to the Family Area in the East Stand at the Amex for the new 2016/17 season.

This will include giving post-match access to the facilities for all families, regardless of where their seats are situated during the game."

Oh, I think I get it. I guess it's supposed to be saying "Don't worry that we are taking 7 Stars away from families, as those with kids can use the Family Stand post-match."

If so, this completely ignores two points:

1. All concourses, including the family stand, have always been open to all fans regardless of where in the ground fans sit.

2. 7 Stars was far more valuable to fans with kids pre-match, particularly for those who have friends who sit in different parts of the ground to them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I will be genuinely gobsmacked at ANYONE who actually takes this "offer" up from the club. Anyone who does truly must have money to burn, and/or more money than sense. Presumably they'll have to show some kind of pass at the door, like a Willy Wonka golden ticket or something. It'll certainly pick them out as being a bit of a prize prawn, when they mince past the queue with Cressida and Tarquin in tow to get their £750 quids worth that week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I will be genuinely gobsmacked at ANYONE who actually takes this "offer" up from the club. Anyone who does truly must have money to burn, and/or more money than sense. Presumably they'll have to show some kind of pass at the door, like a Willy Wonka golden ticket or something. It'll certainly pick them out as being a bit of a prize prawn, when they mince past the queue with Cressida and Tarquin in tow to get their £750 quids worth that week.

STRUTTING with a golden lanyard will be the order of the day.

Seems to me the club has failed to factor in that the DFLs will shortly all be BTLs (Back To Londons) on account of most if not all all train services being withdrawn from the region.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh, I think I get it. I guess it's supposed to be saying "Don't worry that we are taking 7 Stars away from families, as those with kids can use the Family Stand post-match."

If so, this completely ignores two points:

1. All concourses, including the family stand, have always been open to all fans regardless of where in the ground fans sit.

2. 7 Stars was far more valuable to fans with kids pre-match, particularly for those who have friends who sit in different parts of the ground to them.
Perhaps they will open up Dick's Bar for families pre-match ?

And they would now have a members bar available for those who don't want kids charging around them while they drink....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
STRUTTING with a golden lanyard will be the order of the day.

harry-enfield-considerably-richer-than-you.jpg

"I am considerably richer than YOOOW"

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Can't help thinking that this decision will come back to bite the club on the bum.
Whoever dreamt this up really needs to come into the real world

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not withstanding the fact that if they miraculously manage to sell all 160 places, then the capacity for walk-ins will have to be reduced by 160 whether the ticket holders turn up or not.

Exactly this. For reference see the South stand at the County Ground. £1000 plus your memebership each year for a 'seat for life'. There are never more than half a dozen of the 100 seats taken at any one time, meanwhile the best view in the ground is out of bounds to all other members. Even SCCC admit it was a mistake, now.

BTW Ray Bloom has 2 seats up there but rarely attends.

Only 1 thing to do, just boycott 7 stars and drink elsewhere. Oh and don't complain to Barber, or you'll be accused of undermining the playing budget and therefore the promotion challenge.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here