Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only 250 quid to [jump the queue for*] the Seven Stars Sports bar.. [* = get in to]

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
It's £250 each and members only. You can't get in if you don't have a 7 stars membership.

Don't think that's correct.

Think again. From PBs email response posted earlier....

So, for clarity, Seven Stars will become a members only facility at the start of the season. Membership passes will be issued and scanned on entry. We will not provide match day access to this area for non-members.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
What a fantastic response from Barber while on holiday!

I don't agree with this charge as I don't think it will generate extra revenue, but clearly it was either this or the bar was closed down due to financial considerations.

I've only been in there once and can understand why it wasn't making any money... There seemed to be a group of drinkers around the bar but the rest of the place was full of people lounging around in the sofas watching whatever game was on tv or reading their programs and crucially, from the clubs point of view, not consuming food or drink!

Perhaps a better approach from the club would have been to issue a use it or lose it message e.g. We're not making any money and will consider other options if we continue to lose money. Don't take the piss and use it as a pre-match crèche or a place to keep out of the rain!

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I can tell you if I was on holiday with my family I sure as shit would not be replying to anything that hasn't come from Bloom or Hughton and certainly not a fan pissing and moaning about having to pay to get into a bar. So, yeah, what a guy.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
He's telling you that as part of the PR game. As soon as you read that, you're supposed to think "oh he's not all bad, what a guy".

It's the same reason he replies to emails late in an evening and usually references that he's been out.

He's a spinmaster. But who can blame him. He's a ****ing well paid CEO who takes his phone everywhere and is unable to switch off. I work with countless people who are the same and frequently emailing out of hours because they are addicts, I don't think it's a reason to commend them. Especially when they appear to do it to get people on side...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If it were £250 quid to bring the entire population of Noah's Arc into the 7 stars bar, it still wouldn't be worth it. I'd never pay any sort of money just to GET INTO a pub. If the queues get worse because of this, I won't be going in there to meet up with family again. This better not happen to Dicks.

It's interesting that in PB's email when he lists all the things the club struggle to keep on providing (free WiFi, free transport, etc) he also mentions a "free to enter adult supporters' bar". Now Dick's is obviously hugely profitable* and there's always a queue to get in, so maybe charging a fiver a time for access might be a reasonable step? By reasonable I of course mean totally outrageous, but we should all be used to being monetised by now.

*Although I'm sure at some stage PB will claim that overall it isn't profitable as it's only used for a few hours every fortnight, it still needs upkeep etc and at 2am on a Monday morning when there's no one in it it loses money hand over fist by just existing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think again. From PBs email response posted earlier....

So, for clarity, Seven Stars will become a members only facility at the start of the season. Membership passes will be issued and scanned on entry. We will not provide match day access to this area for non-members.
Fair enough - hadn't seen that. Don't go in there personally but I don't like the charging.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Surely if there is low or non existent take up they will just staff it accordingly.
I wonder if it was a mistake to lump the news of what now appears to be a members only club into a press release detailing the planned changes to the family stand as clearly there is no intention of the bar being a family area
Where is the press release detailing changes to the family stand please?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This is an astonishing balls up. I know a large number who got to the 7 Stars early who made it a family afternoon and spent lots on food and drink who have now said that they won't get to the ground early. So the £250 will be soon negated by the fact that no one will pay for it and therefore the club will LOSE money on this. Also isn't the membership being implemented in Dicks bar? There were far more issues last year there than there ever were in the family bar?

This move makes no commercial sense whatsoever and whoever dreamt it up needs to get the boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure that 'no one will pay' this £250.

Surely it is aimed at people who can charge it as an expense against their company accounts, and use the memberships for client hospitality. Those that can't justify, or who don't want, 1901 full memberships.

It may not sell out. But it might.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Right, metrics in isolation, that revenue stream isn't generating enough .... let's try and squeeze some more from it.

Stockdale didn't score last season, cut his pay.

Why let holistics get in the way?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
On the opening post on this thread that started this whole discussion or on the club website!
Had a look earlier at the website and couldn't see anything specific about the family stand. However the website link at the beginning of the thread is invalid.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Had a look earlier at the website and couldn't see anything specific about the family stand. However the website link at the beginning of the thread is invalid.

Just clicked the link Myself and it worked i assume i must have a special version of the internet today

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't think that's correct. The £250 simply guarantees you a spot.

however from Barber's reply:

so not only is it a bad idea, the news on it has been handled poorly. £250 to "jump the queue" couldnt be a credible service anyway, turn up at 2-2:30 and its full you'll be a bit miffed.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Out of interest, what would people pay pa for an exclusive bar with Sky Sports, next to the Amex, with a free parking space for all matches. Oh, and you get a decent gym, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, classes and access to tennis/squash/racquetball facilities 364 days a year. Plus reciprocal facilities close to many away grounds?

PG

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There is a large commercial area being underused or misused so the club try to turn it into a money making exercise and yet people moan, I'm with Barber on this one, kids are catered for in the Family Stand area and I bet if a question is raised at the Forum Barber will say it is sold out or nearly sold out.
£250 a season for a guaranteed access to a pre/after match lounge, free programme etc in my mind makes it an attractive deal and will easily sell out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on a minute something very serious might have been overlooked:-

DO YOU GET A DIFFERENT LANYARD?

A new exclusive lanyard has to be worth more than £250 for those special times of promenading around Falmer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is a large commercial area being underused or misused so the club try to turn it into a money making exercise and yet people moan, I'm with Barber on this one, kids are catered for in the Family Stand area and I bet if a question is raised at the Forum Barber will say it is sold out or nearly sold out.
£250 a season for a guaranteed access to a pre/after match lounge, free programme etc in my mind makes it an attractive deal and will easily sell out.

Who said it has been underused or misused? The person trying to sell it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here