[Football] O'Neill sacked by Bournemouth - and appoint Andoni Iraola

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
It’s a shrewd move by Bournemouth and a sad loss to Rayo.

He took them up from the second division a couple of seasons ago and transformed Rayo from an ‘elevator team’, aka Norwich or Dirty, to within spitting distance of a European place this season.

All in the face of adversity and with a low budget, small antiquated ground and despised club chairman. He’s from the stable of GP and RDZ moulding and supporting players to play with confidence and bringing in, and on, players with no obvious top-level potential. International goalkeeper with North Macedonia – safe pair of hands, except tonight.

That said, Rayo play with skill but frequent mistakes. The stat about winning possession is counterbalanced by losing it dangerously in midfield. They have had some notable wins – taking 4 points from Barcelona and beating Real Madrid. But finally finishing 11th after a poor end to the season. Then some poor losses against bottom teams. Sound familiar? The gulf between top- and mid-table La Liga teams is more pronounced that the PL. Possession but with no apparent interest in scoring. Sounds familiar?

Sometimes Rayo play too much like a Championship side.

With support and backing at Bournemouth he will do well. Able to draw on more experienced and capable players perhaps. He’s proved himself. I think he’ll survive the first season or two with muff then take them to better things.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I wouldn’t underestimate Bill Foley…

After his Vegas Golden Knights won ice hockey's Stanley Cup last week (within six years of joining the NHL, as he had predicted), Foley touched on his ambitions for Bournemouth while speaking to US media in a news conference, and cited Brighton as an example of how he wanted year-on-year progression for the Cherries under his ownershi

Very similar scenario to the firing of Hughton. Full article here…

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

After his Vegas Golden Knights won ice hockey's Stanley Cup last week (within six years of joining the NHL, as he had predicted), Foley touched on his ambitions for Bournemouth while speaking to US media in a news conference, and cited Brighton as an example of how he wanted year-on-year progression for the Cherries under his ownershi

Another club like the lot up the road wanting what we have without putting in the hard yards. It’s like saying oh look at Tesco they make millions a week let’s turn our corner store into Tesco next year. Never gonna happen.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Another club like the lot up the road wanting what we have without putting in the hard yards. It’s like saying oh look at Tesco they make millions a week let’s turn our corner store into Tesco next year. Never gonna happen.
Maybe not, but I think he’s also expecting to put in the hard yards. He’s not like that “lot up the road”.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yeah he said some interesting things when he took over. He’s quite an interesting character by all accounts. I remember the gist from people in the know was that his ownership of Bournemeouth could be brilliant or disastrous but probably nothing in between.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is there much track record of Americans buying clubs and then actually spending massively? Villa I guess? They seem to be in it more for the investment e.g. at Liverpool

It did seem a very odd purchase by some wealthy Americans - negligible revenue generation potential.
There is a track record of American owners coming in, sacking a relatively competent successful manager, bringing a new manager in and spending loads of money…

Then sacking them too…

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Potentially shrewd, if slightly risky, move. A lot of variables need to fall favourably for it to succeed - will be interesting to watch what happens

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports