Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] O'Neill sacked by Bournemouth - and appoint Andoni Iraola

Jul 7, 2003
That was quick - like dumping your partner when you've already got a date set up for the same evening with a sexier foreigner you just met.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's a progressive appointment I suppose so it does make a bit more sense now. Thought they were good at our place and very unlucky to go back with nothing, but the deep defence and counter will only get you so far. Same at their place as well actually.

I suspect they have been looking at us and have come to the conclusion that the only way to break out of that bottom six scrap is to move with the times and play 'expansive' football.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Well that confirms relegation for Bournemouth...

...and O'Neil to Watford

(People think this will work out, it won't)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chris did well to get us promoted and keep us there. I will always appreciate that. However his time was up, his last half season was horrendous. As a season ticket holder at the time it felt like I was doing my duty to keep going and supporting the club. But it wasn't enjoyable at all, more like enduring a bad experience
Yep. Leaving at 70 minutes on the grounds that 'why not?' was symptomatic of the long slow decline to 'no longer really give a shit'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

papachris

Yep. Leaving at 70 minutes on the grounds that 'why not?' was symptomatic of the long slow decline to 'no longer really give a shit'.
At the time I was relieved that we did stay up. I remember it looked as if Cardiff were looking likely to catch us but they lost their penultimate game unexpectedly meaning we were safe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. O'Neil has been incredibly unlucky there. I fancy he will get a shot in the Prem with another club, although that might be Luton in October.

2. I don't think you can criticise the board for making an appointment they think can take the club to another level like Potter did for us.

3. It is clear that us, Brentford and Fulham have inspired other clubs, and long may that continue.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why?

Seriously, what makes him good?

You normally know about a fair amount about other leagues etc…
You can see the pressing stats above he’s well known for but he’s just a thoroughly well prepared and organised coach, his teams are always hard to beat.

There’s a lot of similarities with RDZ. Like a lot of the good young managers like RDZ, he has strict ideas he likes his players to stick to but he’s probably more pragmatic than RDZ and will tailor his side to the opposition slightly more - that might have been because of the players available to him though and that might change with better players. Similarly to RDZ though, he will make sure they’re direct, attacking and quite exciting. For the last 3 years he improved Vallecano massively and made them much greater than the sum of their parts.

He was a really decent full back, very reliable (think Veltman) - I used to really rate him as a player too - and he played under some top managers he’s obviously learnt from - he’s a very bright guy.

It’s obviously a big change for him and it might not work out but if RDZ had left yesterday, he’s one of the coaches I would have hoped we’d been looking at.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You can see the pressing stats above he’s well known for but he’s just a thoroughly well prepared and organised coach, his teams are always hard to beat.

There’s a lot of similarities with RDZ. Like a lot of the good young managers like RDZ, he has strict ideas he likes his players to stick to but he’s probably more pragmatic than RDZ and will tailor his side to the opposition slightly more - that might have been because of the players available to him though and that might change with better players. Similarly to RDZ though, he will make sure they’re direct, attacking and quite exciting. For the last 3 years he improved Vallecano massively and made them much greater than the sum of their parts.

He was a really decent full back, very reliable (think Veltman) - I used to really rate him as a player too - and he played under some top managers he’s obviously learnt from - he’s a very bright guy.

It’s obviously a big change for him and it might not work out but if RDZ had left yesterday, he’s one of the coaches I would have hoped we’d been looking at.
Thanks Fareham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here