[Albion] One thing you like about Graham Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
He always uses the word "we" or "I" when describing/explaining/justifying what has gone wrong.. absolutely no blame which just tells the players that that they are all in it together and that the boss is role-modelling what he asks of them.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I like the fact that he used to live in Lyndhurst Road, near the Palmeira. Like a normal person.

He doesn't any more, but I'm sure where he does live is very normal...

#PotterIn

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Doesn't appear to be affected by the inevitable stress of the job. Calm.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Doesn't appear to be affected by the inevitable stress of the job. Calm.

Yeh, Lampard visibly aged about 4 years in his time managing Chelsea

GP has had a tough time personally and has been in consecutive relegation battles and is wearing it well!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Spends press conferences trying to make the players better rather than spouting shite. As tedious and insight-less as it is to watch, he was straight into praising, say, Dan Burn after Wolves. Positive/grounded psychology all the way rather than, say, previous managers calling players inept. Even beats Klopp losing the plot recently - as understandable as that was.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What I like is Tony could see somthing within him that was a fit for Brighton while the likes of me was thinking have we made an almighty mistake in sacking a proven premiership manager for one with zero premiership experiance

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I have just decided he has become a lucky manager. If Dan Burn hadn’t have got injured, he wouldn’t have played Zequiri and Trossard wouldn’t have been moved into his best position and scored the goal. How many other wins would we have had recently if he played players in their best positions (Trossard is not a winger) and Dan Burn a left back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Despite some critical thoughts from me after defeats there's lots he does well. As others have said his level headedness (more than me :lolol: ) shines through and we do mix it with the big boys. However, the biggest single thing he's done well this season is replace Ryan with Sanchez.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have just decided he has become a lucky manager. If Dan Burn hadn’t have got injured, he wouldn’t have played Zequiri and Trossard wouldn’t have been moved into his best position and scored the goal. How many other wins would we have had recently if he played players in their best positions (Trossard is not a winger) and Dan Burn a left back.
I was amazed as the team came out for the second half, I thought finally Graham has seen the light, then we find out later Burn had a hamstring issue :(

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
He is an exciting prospect and a world away from the predictable coaching of any other English manager. Exciting ideas, yet flexible enough to try anything. Be very interesting to see what might happen with a top 3 cheque book behind him, or the England job working with the nations best youngsters.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He is an exciting prospect and a world away from the predictable coaching of any other English manager. Exciting ideas, yet flexible enough to try anything. Be very interesting to see what might happen with a top 3 cheque book behind him, or the England job working with the nations best youngsters.

only nodding dogs get the England job. He'll need to achieve something before bewing considered for a top job.

One thing to be admired is his compusure on NSC after a bad game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The style in which he makes the team play.

I think there is a very good chance we will have our best ever season next time if we can stay up. He has been let down by our front players this season.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
only nodding dogs get the England job. He'll need to achieve something before bewing considered for a top job.

One thing to be admired is his compusure on NSC after a bad game.

Fair enough that you achieve something before an employer gives you a top job. My point stands that he would be an interesting appointment (with Pep as a reference). Maybe Spurs could be a possible candidate outside top 3 (if we turn our results around properly) as it can't be long before Jose departs.

Potters composure after a bad game upsets many (as it did with Hughton) but I genuinely think it's a strength. We have senior players and Billy D to toss a few tea cups around if needed. He comes across as honest too (Burn injury) though people seem to read him as an exploitable and naive character as a result. Maybe they are right in the shark pool of the Premier League.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Spuds isn't such a wild suggestion, they took PAtch-a-(cor)Tina at a similar stage in his career. . .

IF we survive and progress, with GP, maybe 2 more seasons and he'll be off.

I hope it's not spuds though. . . .maybe Liverpool . . .

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Well you say that... what did Southgate, McClaren and Allardyce achieve? (Relegation, for 2 of them).

Barring any career mishaps, I think GP is nailed on to be an England manager one day, and he’d probably be very good at it. Not for a good while yet hopefully.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well you say that... what did Southgate, McClaren and Allardyce achieve? (Relegation, for 2 of them).

Barring any career mishaps, I think GP is nailed on to be an England manager one day, and he’d probably be very good at it. Not for a good while yet hopefully.

2 separate answers in one, nodding dogs for England . . . . top dogs generally wqant to see results first. I agree though GP is destined for bigger things, if he keeps it together.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Not my favourite thing about him, but I like that Pep Guardiola thinks he's the best English manager around. If you're looking for a reference, they don't come too much better than that. I like that he's loyal to his players. There is a sense of humour in there too - I saw glimpses after the Liverpool win - but he's way too bright to go cracking jokes all the time we're in the bottom six. We also play very good football, despite the pressure we are under. None of which is a patch on the Crocodile Dundee thing, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports