Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 1972

flint

Jul 9, 2003
eastbourne
I was there and remember that Match of the Day had it in the final list for goal of the season. Jock Stein voted for it but the o0ther panel members who were ist division picked one of their own. Cant remember who

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So when did video recorders come out?! Not then, I suppose.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I was there and remember that Match of the Day had it in the final list for goal of the season. Jock Stein voted for it but the o0ther panel members who were ist division picked one of their own. Cant remember who

That was the same season that Ronnie Radford scored that screamer for Hereford against Newcastle. Willie Irvine's goal was good but not that good.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The only good thing my old man did for me was take me to that game. My first game in the North Stand, absolutely rammed. I remember Bruce Rioch & Andy Lockhead for them, hard players. The Willie Irvine screamer flew in & bedlam ensued in the North, quality.
I could have sworn the attendance was higher though.
Watching it on Match of the Day that night was the icing on the cake of a great day.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That was the same season that Ronnie Radford scored that screamer for Hereford against Newcastle. Willie Irvine's goal was good but not that good.

Correct. I am not sure that is (quite) my favourite FA Cup goal of all time, but it is my favourite pitch invasion of all time #smallboysinsnorkelparkas.

PG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Correct. I am not sure that is (quite) my favourite FA Cup goal of all time, but it is my favourite pitch invasion of all time #smallboysinsnorkelparkas.

PG

That's a BIG call PG. Better than Man City at Withdean!? #MobilityScooterOnThePitch

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That's a BIG call PG. Better than Man City at Withdean!? #MobilityScooterOnThePitch

Goal invasions count double over end of match invasions. Very muddy pitches count as jokers.

Nowadays its just goal music (Championship) or fan tourists taking pics on their mobiles (Prem).

Christ I am an old git.

PG

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Albion line-up for the day...

1. Brian Powney

brianpowney2.jpg

2. Bert Murray

bertmurray.jpg

3. Eddie Spearritt

astonvilla-h-spearritt.jpg

4. John Templeman

johntempleman.jpg

5. Norman Gall

normangall1971.jpg

6. Ian Goodwin

ian_goodwin.jpg

7. Kit Napier

kitnapier3.jpg

8. Ken Beamish

beamish.jpg

9. Willie Irvine

willie_irvine.jpg

10. Brian Bromley

astonvilla-h-bromley.jpg

11. Peter O'Sullivan

peter_o_sullivan.jpg

Sub: Bertie Lutton

bertielutton.jpg

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Groundsman Frankie Howard painted the bare patches in the goalmouths green so that the pitch would look perfect on MotD.

I believe it was also the first time the team played in blue-and-white stripes with blue shorts. Previously that season we'd worn white shorts, but Pat Saward decided to make kit changes as well as team changes (Ian Goodwin (our George Best) for John Napier in central defence, Bert Murray to right back in place of Stewart henderson) after a couple of defeats.

How do you remember this stuff? I remember getting very, very drunk in the Stadium that evening. Happy days eh?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Love the white trim on the shorts and the BHAFC on the shirts.
Brilliant goal.

How much would a pair of these be worth nowadays?!

1972shorts.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here