Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 1972

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Classic.

Hard to believe now how big a game it seemed at the time. Aston Villa looked a massive club to us, and the Match of the Day cameras ..... well that didn't happen to the Albion.

To watch the game - then go home and wait to see it on MotD was just incredible. And you only got one chance to see it.

Tell the kids today - and they don't believe you.

And I was too young to stay up for MotD anyway!

A couple of times a season, walking across Hove park you would see the camera scaffold and a frisson of excitement that we were "on the telly". Remember, BBC or ITV were not allowed to pre-publicise which games they would cover for fear of damaging the attendance.

To be fair, my dad remains my hero for taking me to games from the age of 7. He can't get along to games now but still follows avidly on the radio and when we are on Sky.

PG

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To be fair, my dad remains my hero for taking me to games from the age of 7. He can't get along to games now but still follows avidly on the radio and when we are on Sky.

You did ok. My old man was not interested in football - so my first game was when I was 11 and at secondary school and could go with my friends. My parents stopped me going one Good Friday though - for a big game against Reading. It being Good Friday we were in church (for what seemed like) the day.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
and the Bournemouth game just after Xmas had attracted 30,500+.

Don't tell porkies. We only have a fan base of 6000 according to the serial administrators up the A 23 and the Amex is full of JCL plastics.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Don't tell porkies. We only have a fan base of 6000 according to the serial administrators up the A 23 and the Amex is full of JCL plastics.

Tbf, Palace were in the top tier in 1971/72 and they averaged almost 27k. Loyal though their support is, relegation saw a gradual drop off in attendance so that in 1984/85 they averaged...............

6,440!:ohmy:

PG

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Well they certainly can't criticise you for not knowing where the exit gates are..

Thats rich coming from a Palarse fan, we were getting bigger gates in the 3rd division than you could even dream of this season in the Premier League.
What was your gate ths year at home to Man Utd, 23,000 odd, and 6,000 of those were away fans.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Seem to remember some fans (hoolies ) wearing a mixture of Clockwork Orange clothing and Alice Cooper make up. Don't ask me if they were Albion or Villa though. I also seem to remember a row of Doctor Martens in the Old Shoreham Road stretching from the Eastern most turnstile at the back of the North to the corner of Newtown Road.
Or was that another game? I was only 11 then , so the mists of time maybe merging some games.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I also seem to remember a row of Doctor Martens in the Old Shoreham Road stretching from the Eastern most turnstile at the back of the North to the corner of Newtown Road.
Or was that another game? I was only 11 then , so the mists of time maybe merging some games.

Maybe you're thinking of the Arsenal game in 79? That was certainly the case on that occasion.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Our home crowds after that game till the end of the season:

Torquay - 27,513
Wrexham - 18,156
Blackburn Rovers - 23,269
Bolton Wanderers - 25,074
Rotherham United - 27,928
Rochdale - 34,766 the 3rd highest attendance ever at The Goldstone

Seem to remember at the Rochdale game, it was estimated that a further 3000 fans couldn't get into the ground!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here