Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ollie Watkins

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think our salary cap is around £50k. Likes of Southampton have 8 first team players above that, 6 of them £65+m. We’re just not in these markets.

And we'll be always below them all the time this is the case.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Think our salary cap is around £50k. Likes of Southampton have 8 first team players above that, 6 of them £65+m. We’re just not in these markets.

I suspect that it may have been last season but I doubt it is this season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Turns out doing the Premier League on the cheap might not be the best idea for a team who has any real ambitions of staying in it. Who knew?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
He may look decent with Jack Grealish feeding him (superb yesterday). With Solly March, not so sure :shrug:

I often get confused who i'm watching. Do we have Marchelo or Marcelo playing for us? Silly March is that good.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good job we're not doing it on the cheap I suppose :shrug:

Yeah, picking up a couple of older players on a free rather than spending money on a younger striker now doing the business at rival clubs (Watkins or Wilson) is definitely not a sign of a club doing things on the cheap.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

At some point will our filed accounts show specific wages?

Rumour and hearsay I appreciate but I was under the impression we had one player on 50 grand a week, one on 60 and one 70?

And that was before the arrival of Welbeck.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
At some point will our filed accounts show specific wages?

Rumour and hearsay I appreciate but I was under the impression we had one player on 50 grand a week, one on 60 and one 70?

And that was before the arrival of Welbeck.
No, accounts show total salaries paid not individuals.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
2018/19

Watkins - 12 goals for Brentford in 45 appearances.
Maupay - 28 goals for Brentford in 49 appearances.

Which one would you have bought?

He played on the wing that season.

Watkins has pace and that is what you need in the Premier League. Be interesting to know who is the fastest between Maupay and Watkins over 50m.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only the club bought every player - then we'd all be happy.

Not.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah, picking up a couple of older players on a free rather than spending money on a younger striker now doing the business at rival clubs (Watkins or Wilson) is definitely not a sign of a club doing things on the cheap.

What do you suggest then? Tony Bloom out and we find an owner with deeper pockets? That's even ignoring the fact that Newcastle had been after Wilson since January and even had Alan Shearer having conversations with him to get him to move. And Watkins knew Smith and wanted to play for him again.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And yet here we are, still in the Premier League, out of the relegation places.

How many 'rounds of games' have we actually spent in the relegation zone under Potter?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Thanks for the LOL. Soon to be 29 and a terrible injury record.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And yet here we are, still in the Premier League, out of the relegation places.

And dropping points to teams who will be there or thereabouts for relegation at the end of the season

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

But our net spend is vast compared to their's. They're probably spending on less than us.

( I did a quick Google, their net spend is around 150-200m less than us, our wage bill smaller by £15m. These could obviously be wrong and or out of date)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But our net spend is vast compared to their's. They're probably spending on less than us.

( I did a quick Google, their net spend is around 150-200m less than us, our wage bill smaller by £15m. These could obviously be wrong and or out of date)

Over the last 5 years or so they have sold something like £350m worth of players. Their lower net spends doesn't mean they have bought less than us. And that is the reason they can pay higher salaries. They have also been in the PL since 2012.

Our net spend is large because we simply haven't sold anyone. The ultimate goal must be to be producing talent for the first team, and selling assets on if it suits us to. Until that happens, we are relying on TB's generosity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here