[Football] Ollie Watkins

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
But what it says to me that if we had been competitive with salary and transfer fee, we would have had a very good chance of making the signing.

I'm not having a pop, I know the reasons why, but it's quite frustrating to me that Villa have gone from "clearly behind us" to "clearly ahead of us" in one transfer window.

It's easy spending someone else's money. If they were to go down, I think they will be in the shite with all that spending, yes they have had a good start but they are not safe, they must stay up. We have had a good start, just not taken our chances, if we had taken them we would be up with Villa.
People think that buying a striker for £20M plus, guarantee a top half finish it doesn't.
If we had paid £20M for Bamford at the start of the season the meltdown in here would have been off the scale. I for one would have not been happy as I called him Barndoor Bamford, but he has surprised me so far. You take a chance on whoever you buy, remember we were all happy when we signed Locadia and Andone, look what's happen with them.
I put my trust in the board to make this club competitive but also sustainable. When we look back at what this club has been through, let's just be grateful that we still have a club to support.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Their starting lineup is quality, especially the midfield - all of them great, experienced players in their best years. Definitely helps you as a striker.

But I agree, he is good but that goes for Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck as well.

As a striker to have midfield players of the quality of grealish & the Man City lad it makes scoring goals much easier . Sadly we don’t as of yet have that type of quality in midfield.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The one thing we lack most is players with PL experience. Lallana and Welbeck is basically it. Palace survive because they sign experience. We have to wait for our signings to get upto speed which quite often fails

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The one thing we lack most is players with PL experience. Lallana and Welbeck is basically it. Palace survive because they sign experience. We have to wait for our signings to get upto speed which quite often fails

Plenty of PL experience in the Brighton squad.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Plenty of PL experience in the Brighton squad.

Whom in our defence had previous PL experience before signing for us. We have 1 midfielder - Lallana and 1 striker - Welbeck. We are very inexperienced which doesn't help when the going gets tough

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Matt Ryan, Solly March, Davy Propper & Lewis Dunk must have 500 Premier League games between them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Whom in our defence had previous PL experience before signing for us. We have 1 midfielder - Lallana and 1 striker - Welbeck. We are very inexperienced which doesn't help when the going gets tough

Bloom strategy is look for value for money. Poaching players already in PL sides is going to be very difficult & expensive.

Going for players like Lallana & Welbeck makes much more sense.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Why does it matter where they played before? I.e. Dunk got over 100 games in the PL, more than any Villa defender (except Taylor maybe). Why would his PL experience from playing with Brighton count less than i.e. PL experience gained elsewhere?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's easy spending someone else's money. If they were to go down, I think they will be in the shite with all that spending, yes they have had a good start but they are not safe, they must stay up. We have had a good start, just not taken our chances, if we had taken them we would be up with Villa.
People think that buying a striker for £20M plus, guarantee a top half finish it doesn't.
If we had paid £20M for Bamford at the start of the season the meltdown in here would have been off the scale. I for one would have not been happy as I called him Barndoor Bamford, but he has surprised me so far. You take a chance on whoever you buy, remember we were all happy when we signed Locadia and Andone, look what's happen with them.
I put my trust in the board to make this club competitive but also sustainable. When we look back at what this club has been through, let's just be grateful that we still have a club to support.

Watkins was £28m and £70k a week in wages. Out of our league.

I can’t stand Villa but they have two multi £B owners. In their two Championship seasons, they could take £100m annual losses on the chin.

They’ve used the relaxing of EPL sustainability rules to go on yet another huge spend on wages and fees. Everton have done the same.

Sadly, it’s paid off, Everton and Villa are high in the table, after being shite this time last year. Such is the weakness of the EPL is dealing with anything, rules mean Jack shit.

Villa are not going down and will spend massively again in future windows.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Undoubtedly he would have been a cracking signing and the club identified that but have always insisted the policy is that new signings have to make financial sense so it wasn't to be.
Maupay and Watkins were a great combo and would've been fantastic for us but im sure Maupay and Wellbeck can be equally as good if not better.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Only with us. They haven't had the chance to play and pick up tips from experienced seasoned PL pro's.

They would have still learnt whilst playing in the Championship with the likes of Sidwell, Bridge, Kusczak Rosenior, Zamora, Upson & Murray. Plus Bruno who has the equivalent experience in Spain.

That’s a wealth of Premier League experience which they’ve had access to across nearly 10 years.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They would have still learnt whilst playing in the Championship with the likes of Sidwell, Bridge, Kusczak Rosenior, Zamora, Upson & Murray. Plus Bruno who has the equivalent experience in Spain.

That’s a wealth of Premier League experience which they’ve had access to across nearly 10 years.

Yes and that is what we are missing now

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Watkins was £28m and £70k a week in wages. Out of our league.

I can’t stand Villa but they have two multi £B owners. In their two Championship seasons, they could take £100m annual losses on the chin.

They’ve used the relaxing of EPL sustainability rules to go on yet another huge spend on wages and fees. Everton have done the same.

Sadly, it’s paid off, Everton and Villa are high in the table, after being shite this time last year. Such is the weakness of the EPL is dealing with anything, rules mean Jack shit.

Villa are not going down and will spend massively again in future windows.

I think we might have found a really good player in Andi Zeqiri he looks a very good finisher on You Tube .I know a lot of players look good on You Tube but he will be a good player for us ,looking forward to see him get some time on the pitch .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we might have found a really good player in Andi Zeqiri he looks a very good finisher on You Tube .I know a lot of players look good on You Tube but he will be a good player for us ,looking forward to see him get some time on the pitch .

Different positions, but also Moder and Karbownik. Hopefully we’ll see plenty of all three in the EPL.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports