Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ole Gunnar Solskjær - Add another to the list !

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Everyone against it but ole.managed to finish 3rd and 2nd with utd. And ok they have a great squad but the club is a mess so that's some achievement.

Do t think we should turn out noses up at him. Would be interested to see what [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] thinks

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some are getting a bit deluded, dismissing out of hand a manager who achieved runner up EPL and Europa Cup.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Thought he was better at Utd than many give him credit for, considering the (relatively) dire situation they've been in for many years now.

No idea if he'd be good for us though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yep - as he lacks any discernible personality.

Well yes.

I was thinking more, what would he say if he gets asked .... "tell me about a time you've developed a young player?" or "tell me about a time when a tactical change has proved successful?" he really won't have much to say, given the players basically picked the team and played where they wanted.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Getting ridiculous now.

If this actually happened, I would gauge my right eye out with a rusty spoon, and then firmly palm-slap a bread knife into the gaping socket.

I'd then come along and place a Salt and Vinegar Disco over the socket to act as a crisp based monocle. But definitely not a Cheese and Onion one.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Well yes.

I was thinking more, what would he say if he gets asked .... "tell me about a time you've developed a young player?" or "tell me about a time when a tactical change has proved successful?" he really won't have much to say, given the players basically picked the team and played where they wanted.
Think that's showing a lack of understanding. He's done as well if not better than other (top) managers at utd since Ferguson left. Rashford was playing best football of his career under him and martial and Bruno Fernandes were half decent then.

His record Vs potter is 5 wins 0 draws 0 defeats

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Everyone against it but ole.managed to finish 3rd and 2nd with utd. And ok they have a great squad but the club is a mess so that's some achievement.

Do t think we should turn out noses up at him. Would be interested to see what [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] thinks

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I was sticking up for OGS before he got sacked last season.

They scored the second highest number of goals last season but conceded more than five other teams and just two less than Brighton. So why give him two attacking players that he is borderline forced to play?

Yes they also got Varane who has been available for five league games (3 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat and no more than one conceded goal in any of those games) and they've done fine with him in the side. But why buy those attacking players interrupting what they were building last season? Why not spend the money on yet another good defender or a good defensive midfielder? That to me appears to be problem rather than Ole or any manager.

They are indeed struggling defensively but is there any manager out there who will make Harry Maguire look like Virgil van Dijk or Ruben Dias, or Lindelöf-Nilsson like a top four player? Is there any manager that will suddenly make Luke Shaw outperform Robertson or Joao Cancelo? What magic will it take to make Obi-Wan Bissaka to outperform the top 4 equivalents? Varane is a good signing, but not adjusted yet.

And then I've not even mentioned Fred...

It matters little that they've spent £200+ on defenders - Thiago Silva came to Chelsea for free and would eat all of them.

Manchester United tried David Moyes and people thought he was tactically retarded so they sacked him and got similar outcome with Van Gaal and then similar outcome with Mourinho and then similar outcome with Solskjaer. At some point it stops being about every single manager on the planet being shite and coming down to other issues, such as recruitment. While its true Ole might not have found the right balance, it is also very difficult to find the right balance in a team that isnt built on balance.

The signing of Varane might indicate that they are heading in the right direction but its too early for him to have any real impact and they still lack defensively good midfielders. Whoever they put in charge, I doubt they are going to do any better than last seasons 2nd place.

I was told by MANY people that everything would look more rosy once they signed a new manager. It didn't. If anything, it got worse.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had a perfectly fine thing going in Manchester United. They were playing good football, somehow ended up 3rd and 2nd with THAT central defense and THAT central midfield. Imagine ending up second in the PL with ****ing McTominay as your defensive midfielder - he should be god damn Sir Ole.

Anyway, they were having a nice thing. Players were developing nicely and looked as if they were thriving out there. Out of the blue, someone - very likely someone interested in commerce rather than football - thought it would be a good idea to sign a 53-year-old narcissist named Cristiano Ronaldo to the team and either you play him and treat him like God or he'll destroy your club.

Yeah, he had just scored 30 goals in Serie A for Juventus as they came 4th after winning eight or nine titles in a row. But his final season in Juve wasn't like his other seasons in a lot of senses; it was clear to anyone watching that his hunger for titles had been replaced by a hunger for personal glory. He was and remains a phenomenal goal scorer but in every other sense it is like playing with one man less. Manchester United destroyed the hierarchy and the harmony of the team bringing in a guy who you can't demand anything from and who will himself demand attention and stardom. Cristiano Ronaldo is the worst thing that ever happened to Marcus Rashford (and Mason Greenwood it appeared at the time, though it is now clear that Mason Greenwood is the worst thing to happen to Mason Greenwood).

Overall OGS record in Manchester United can be described as excellent compared to any manager post Ferguson.

I don't think he is some kind of tactical genius, though it is hard to tell without actually watching him instructing his team, but both in Molde and in United (before Ronaldo) it was quite obvious that the players, particularly the younger ones, loved playing for him. But someone at the club decided to make a trade deal; Ronaldo in, happyness out.

He wouldn't be a bad choice. Don't think it will happen though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Without that great squad he took Cardiff from 15th in EPL to 17th in Championship within nine months. He spent £413 million in his 32 months at Man Utd, almost three times what we spent in the same period. United were 6th when he arrived and 7th when he left. The team he took over had during two and a half years under Mourinho, finished 6th then 2nd. Solskaer's finished 6th then 3rd, then 2nd.

Mourinho had won the League Cup, Community Shield and Europa League. They'd won the FA Cup in Van Gaal's two years and even won the Community Shield during Moyes' 10 months. Solskjaer was the longest serving manager there since Ferguson and he won: Nothing!. Managing to win nothing in almost three years at Man Utd really is 'Some acheivement'. He was the first permanent Manchester United manager not to win a trophy whilst with them since Frank O'Farrell in 1972, nearly 50 years!

After WWII, Winston Churchill was asked about El Alamein and his 'End of the beginning' speech. He said: "Before Alamein we never had a victory. After Alamein, we never had a defeat." If Man Utd fans, in a moment of clarity, with the devil as their crest, ever consider Mitchell-and-Webb-like, whether they really are the baddies: football's equivalent of the Axis Powers, they would presumably have to consider Solskaer's appointment as their El Alamein.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I was sticking up for OGS before he got sacked last season.

I was told by MANY people that everything would look more rosy once they signed a new manager. It didn't. If anything, it got worse.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had a perfectly fine thing going in Manchester United. They were playing good football, somehow ended up 3rd and 2nd with THAT central defense and THAT central midfield. Imagine ending up second in the PL with ****ing McTominay as your defensive midfielder - he should be god damn Sir Ole.

Anyway, they were having a nice thing. Players were developing nicely and looked as if they were thriving out there. Out of the blue, someone - very likely someone interested in commerce rather than football - thought it would be a good idea to sign a 53-year-old narcissist named Cristiano Ronaldo to the team and either you play him and treat him like God or he'll destroy your club.

Yeah, he had just scored 30 goals in Serie A for Juventus as they came 4th after winning eight or nine titles in a row. But his final season in Juve wasn't like his other seasons in a lot of senses; it was clear to anyone watching that his hunger for titles had been replaced by a hunger for personal glory. He was and remains a phenomenal goal scorer but in every other sense it is like playing with one man less. Manchester United destroyed the hierarchy and the harmony of the team bringing in a guy who you can't demand anything from and who will himself demand attention and stardom. Cristiano Ronaldo is the worst thing that ever happened to Marcus Rashford (and Mason Greenwood it appeared at the time, though it is now clear that Mason Greenwood is the worst thing to happen to Mason Greenwood).

Overall OGS record in Manchester United can be described as excellent compared to any manager post Ferguson.

I don't think he is some kind of tactical genius, though it is hard to tell without actually watching him instructing his team, but both in Molde and in United (before Ronaldo) it was quite obvious that the players, particularly the younger ones, loved playing for him. But someone at the club decided to make a trade deal; Ronaldo in, happyness out.

He wouldn't be a bad choice. Don't think it will happen though.

This is the critical piece. United were actually building up a bit of a head of steam under OGS. No real superstars, but a decent group of younger players all playing some more than decent football. Ronaldo signing completely torpedoed the team ideology because what they gained in goals, they lost in mobility and tactical flexibility

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Unlike potter, where it virtually oozes out of him? :lolol:

Don’t underestimate the GraPott, he’s living his best life, got a stunning trouble, countless bags in the bank, he must have something. Agree with Kosh, the only person with less personality than OGS is Frank Dullard at Everton. Would not want that Lord of the Rings elfin anywhere near the Albion.

227D9B98-EBAB-4574-A48B-2FA427791A2A.jpeg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Absolutely never going to happen. Click bait nonsense.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Is this one of those threads where everyone hates the idea and then it happens, he is successful and we get in to Europe, then we all look back over it and slam those who were against it?

To clarify, I do NOT want this to happen..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd then come along and place a Salt and Vinegar Disco over the socket to act as a crisp based monocle. But definitely not a Cheese and Onion one.

A salt and vinegar Disco would be absolute AGONY, as well you know.

What kind of animal are you ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think he was initially successful at United simpply because he wasn't Mourinho. I got the feeling that he let the players have their head - just giving them the freedom they didn't have under Mourinho. Did hhe actually put his own stamp on the team? I didn't feel that he did.

If he came to Brighton, my guess his policy would be to tell the players to carry on as you are doing - which would be fine initially. However, what Potter did was an awful lot of micro-managing on a game by game basis, and with time the 'just carry on' message would start to unravel, and what we'd get wouldn't so much be Potter-ball as Potter-lite.

On the other hand, if TB and PB think exactly the opposite, they're far more likely to be right than I am!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here