Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old drinks

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
HSD is one of St Austell's selection - about 5%. Can see why it's dangerous..had a pint of it at the brewery after a tour. Lovely stuff, still going I presume.

Oh for the return of more proper bitter - this trendy pale/hoppy fashion isn't great..

HSD still widely available down here, it's a shame that St Austell ales are not sold around the country like Sharps is these days, but they are still a family run business and not yet sold out to a huge brewery, but they have a fine range of drinks.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Bang on. Joe Cornelius was his name, big lad with long grey hair.
Definitely Pompey Royal so I assume it must have been Whitbread, but I remember the sign and I do not think it had a brewery on it.

Would that have been "Dazzler" Joe Cornelius, used to wrestle at the Sports Stadium at the bottom of West Street?

???

Attachments

• norseman.jpe
    norseman.jpe
    9.2 KB · Views: 109

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Having worked in the booze business for a large part of my life I have a pretty good recollection of drinks from a bygone era. So how about these :

Babycham, Cherry B, Snowball, Tio Pepe sherry, Whisky Mac (Scotch and Crabbie's ginger wine - lethal!), Port and lemon, Harvey Wallbanger, Blue Nun, Mateus Rose, Cinzano Bianco, Gin and orange, Woodpecker cider, Traffic Light (Cherry brandy, Pernod, and Creme de Menthe!!) . . . .

And then you have the "beers", the indescribable piss that we had to endure during the 1970s and 80s - Red Barrel, Starlight, Watneys Special (!!!), Double Diamond, Party 7 and Party 4 . . . to take to parties. Whitbread Tankard or as friend of mine used to call it Titbread Wankerd . . . really the list goes on and on.

P.S. It's Dubonnet . . . I used to work for the company that sold it! :)
ben trueman

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
dad used to have hemlin (sp?) in cans way back when..
was chatting to mate on saturday about the range from top deck.. used to love limeade and lager as a kid! also.. milk cans UHT and a grapefruit fizz called freshca? fresca? in a turquoise can...

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I have drunk all of the below in my time, and some were my drink of choice for a while (no, not rum & pep):-
Rum & pep
Rum & black
Port & lemon
Holsten Pils & barley wine
Light & bitter / pale & bitter
Brown-bitter
Brown & mild
Black & tan
Guinness & black
Mickey Mouse / Chinese / golden depending where you are in the country
Newcastle Brown in a constantly topped up half pint glass

Never had a Tia Maria & Lucozade though :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Brickwoods,another blast from the past.Green Shield,and White Shield Worthington,Stingo.Courage Best beats all the rest,but only if kept in a cellar-otherwise it tasted just like p***!Never forget my first taste of Tetley bitter-tasted more like stewed Tetley tea bags :sick: but it did get better,or did I lose my taste buds?

I still get Worthington White Shield, but only from the brewery in Burton who I happen to work for 😊

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Kilroy wine. We'd have a bottle each on the bus on the way to Barcombe Mills, where we'd hire a rowing boat on a Sunday afternoon. My college mates and I were invariably drunk, lecherous and obnoxious. Unreserved apologies if we ruined any NSCers family picnic on the riverbanks of the Ouse in the early 70's through our drunken behaviour.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
That is one of the myths JDW do not sell out of date beer.

They just have uninterested, untrained staff usually which results in not paying attention to product and not serving it right. Pay is vastly below what other bars pay in Dublin so they get kids - none of which have ever used a hand pump if they've even worked in a bar!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
HSD still widely available down here, it's a shame that St Austell ales are not sold around the country like Sharps is these days, but they are still a family run business and not yet sold out to a huge brewery, but they have a fine range of drinks.
The St Austell Proper Job is superb if you get it on cask.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought that Hall & Woodhouse took over the licence to brew White Shield Worthington when they bought out King & Barnes.

No

White shield has always been brewed by Worthington in Burton since 1829 and still is by Molson Coors who I work for. It is considered the only real ale in a bottle by Camera as second fermentation takes place once bottled.

EDIT

Yes K & B did brew it but it is now brewed back in Burton at the old Bass Brewery which is the National Brewery Museum. If anyone goes to the Burton game go early and make a visit well worth it

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here