Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old drinks

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Mother In Law (Stout & Bitter)
Black & Tan (but not in an Irish Pub) (Stout & Mild)
Rum & Peppermint
Black Velvet (Guinness and Champagne if rich or Guinness & Cider if not)

I remember Mother-in-law as Old & Bitter-think Beard's did an Old ale,never seen it anywhere outside Sussex.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Stingo, Barley wine.

Does anyone remember a draught stout called Colonel Murphy, probably an early version of Murphy stout. Colonel Murphy was popular in the Whitehawk in the late sixties.

Yeah,remember the parish priest getting stuck in to the free samples of Colonel Murphy.Said it wasn't a patch on Friends of Dublin,but didn't stop him drinking it!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bring's back my timeline memorys of drinking development:

70's it was obligatory to start on alcohol at about the age of 12 years old, usually Christmas usually snowball but with unfettered access to the 'Globe' drinks cabinet (very stylish) when parents are too busy drinking their babychamp, martinis and party sevens.

Then my parents introduced me to the home alone weekend tipple for an up and coming 14 year old 'Cream Label' then onto 'Mackeson' because ultimately they were good for me, but never quite liked Guinness strangely.

At around this time late'sh 70's it was time to regularly drink at the local youth club at the weekends, preferably Fridays after school, a mixture here:

Woodpecker Cider, this has held me back on the delights of the current Cider drinks !!

Martini, tended to be Rossi for some reason, bloody horrible but we persevered and the very worst of the bunch was room temperature bottled holsten pils, horrible stuff, horrible.

As has been said Harp seems to be still going strong in Northern Ireland.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Grunhalle (sorry, don't know where the umlauts are on this) was the cheap lager everyone would get a litre bottle of to get drunk on when I was in my teens.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Yeah,nice pint.I used to love HSD,Hicks Special Draught,I think the proper name was.High speed diesel/death was the locals name for it.

HSD is one of St Austell's selection - about 5%. Can see why it's dangerous..had a pint of it at the brewery after a tour. Lovely stuff, still going I presume.

Oh for the return of more proper bitter - this trendy pale/hoppy fashion isn't great..

.....well it's usually a rum n black, a whiskey Mac or a sherry with a cherry on the top (I bet you wished you were down at the dogs?) I did, but then she said well listen ere "I ain't like all the rest I'll ave a pint o courage best" (bet that was music to your ears) that's when I fell in love weren't it.......

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
gold label barley wine - the tag was "strong as a double scotch less than half the price"

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good old UK advertising agencies, somehow thought it would be a grand selling point to treat its target demographic as some form of simpleton. Bit like every insurance comparison site does nowadays.

Stay classy :thumbsup:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Courage Tavern, "What your right arms for"?! Russian Stout an acquired taste. I was partial to an early morning Courage Velvet Stout

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I used to use the Five Bells, I wasn't keen on the beer I thought it was Brickwoods, but possibly wrong, it did have a wonderfully comfortable chair to slouch in, before the pub was "done up" by a London Wrestler, was the rumour. Maybe Brickwoods became Whitbread?

Double Diamond and Watneys Red Barrel both available at my local pub, don't know how but it is.
On route to the Goldstone from T Wells we used to stop off at The Five Bells in Chailey to fill up on Whitbread Pompey Royal, I remember at the time thinking it was alright, is it stil around.

Whitbread 'big head' Trophy Bitter.
Can you still get Hurlimann lager in Shepherd Neame pubs, we called it hooligans it made Stella taste like water.
I have not seen Rolling Rock in the supermarket for years.
Gold Label Barley Wine.
Cresta, it's frothy man.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Brickwoods,another blast from the past.Green Shield,and White Shield Worthington,Stingo.Courage Best beats all the rest,but only if kept in a cellar-otherwise it tasted just like p***!Never forget my first taste of Tetley bitter-tasted more like stewed Tetley tea bags :sick: but it did get better,or did I lose my taste buds?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Can you still get Hurlimann lager in Shepherd Neame pubs, we called it hooligans it made Stella taste like water.

Yes you can and its still stong and make men turn into Nutters. Think Shepherd Neame try to push the sale of Asahi more nowadays though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Bass No1 Barley Wine, Charrington's IPA , Toby Ale,Toby Lager( circa 1955), Royal Toby, Anchor Stout,

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I used to use the Five Bells, I wasn't keen on the beer I thought it was Brickwoods, but possibly wrong, it did have a wonderfully comfortable chair to slouch in, before the pub was "done up" by a London Wrestler, was the rumour. Maybe Brickwoods became Whitbread?

Bang on. Joe Cornelius was his name, big lad with long grey hair.
Definitely Pompey Royal so I assume it must have been Whitbread, but I remember the sign and I do not think it had a brewery on it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes you can and its still stong and make men turn into Nutters. Think Shepherd Neame try to push the sale of Asahi more nowadays though.

It was a long, long time ago only just old enough to drink. The Imperial in Southborough (my god what a dump Southborough is these days) only Shepherd Neame pub in town but we drank in there for the Hurlimann. Pub is still there when so many in Southborough have closed down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here