[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
c.1900 shows Mr Fuggle’s Grocery Shop, 117 North Street, at the corner of Queen Square. The business was founded here in 1866 by Mr. T. Fuggle, who later amalgamated with Mr. J.S. Unwin.

dr56.jpg

dr55.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
104, 105 and 106 North Street, which faced downhill towards the Clock Tower, were three of the oldest houses in the town.

They were built in the latter part of the eighteenth century. Originally all three had the attic room, the extra storey of 106 being added in recent times.

Demolished in 1955. Three tiny ancient flint cottages, 101, 102 and 103, previously stood hidden from view in the space behind these houses, adjoining Haselgrove’s smithy.

View attachment 169879

View attachment 169880
Any idea why it shifted from North Street to Dyke Road – and when?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Love this thread. The Bush sign on the right denotes the shop where I bought my first real stereo system. A Bush Arena HiFi with Garrard SP25 Mk2 turntable and Bush branded speakers that were actually Wharfedales. Loved that set up and wish I still had it. Although I had an LP collection at the time, I bought 'The Smoker you Drink, the Player you Get by Joe Walsh to christen it. This picture sent me happily down a rabbit hole looking up Bush Arena HiFi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports