Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Preston Grammar School, Millers Road?

mr2.jpg

mr1.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was a cinema there right up until the early 80s when it was made into a Burger King. Right up til then, the manager used to come out on to the stage in a dinner jacket and introduce the film :lol:

When Burger King first opened, there was a cinema room out the back where they'd show kids cartoons on saturday mornings while the kids were eating their burgers. Maybe they still do. And if you turned your back on the screen and looked up, you could still see old projectors, rows of cinema seats etc, seemed to be used as a storeroom for stuff from the old cinema. Wonder if it still is?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Princes News Theatre.... when I was a small kid , 1950s , my dad would take me to see a programme of cartoons and ten every hour or so it was 10 or 15 minutes of Pathe News. Since we did not have a tv back then ,to actually see the news was something..
Cinescene opened in 1911 as the Bijou Electric Empire. Below is a timeline for this theatre……

Bijou Electric Empire (1911-1915)
Prince’s Electric Theatre (1915-1918)
Bijou Select Palace (1918-1919)
Prince’s Cinema (1919-1947)
Prince’s News Theatre (1947-1967)
Jacey Cinema (1967-1969)
Brighton Film Theatre (1969-1978)
Cinescene (1979-1983)

The Cinescene closed on the second week of June, 1983 with Johnathan Pryce in “The Ploughman’s Lunch”. The building stood empty from then until 1988 until it was re-opened as a fast-food restaurant, now a Burger King. At busy times, the main auditorium section is opened up and there is provision to screen movies on the screen via VHS video, although this is not done often.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There was a cinema there right up until the early 80s when it was made into a Burger King. Right up til then, the manager used to come out on to the stage in a dinner jacket and introduce the film :lol:

When Burger King first opened, there was a cinema room out the back where they'd show kids cartoons on saturday mornings while the kids were eating their burgers. Maybe they still do. And if you turned your back on the screen and looked up, you could still see old projectors, rows of cinema seats etc, seemed to be used as a storeroom for stuff from the old cinema. Wonder if it still is?
Was just about to mention this. I remember in the mid-1990s going in to eat while watching stuff on the big screen. Haven't been in there for years, but I'm guessing it's not used for that anymore :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports