Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It’s tempting to give up!

Hard run in for me yesterday as did sprint finishes at miles 7-8 to try and lose [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] who wouldn’t drop back. The final uphill mile was a killer.
Lost 4lbs in weight in 24 hours without it being dehydration. Why I have to sparingly push the pace when I run and an easy week is needed.

Are the full results available?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are the full results available?

Absolutely!

https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/Bedgebury-10M/2020

I have given the bike a nice rest this morning, and taken a stroll into work. Bizarrely, I was able to get here before 9am for the first time all year. :lolol: A nice 1 hour walk at casual pace in the bag, I'll have a nice 7 mile run at lunch time and that will be me for the day. After this week I'm going to have an easy week to reduce the volume before getting back on the train again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/Bedgebury-10M/2020

Not many known names as over the border in Kent. Nice run though with plenty of space and just 2 big puddles.

Good to see our 2 boys at the top. They didn’t fight in the back of the van either, very well behaved.
Also good for me to finish in the top 15% rather than the bottom 10%.

I can see an extension will be needed to the NSC Runners' Clubhouse in order to build a Trophy Room!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It's brilliant to see all of the fantastic running results and achievements over the weekend! Well done to Team NSC at the Bedgebury 10 miler! Some epic racing! Also kudos to [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] getting out in the snow!

I had fun at the Watford Half yesterday and really happy with a chip time of 1:18:15 on a pretty challenging hilly course and windy conditions. I placed 29th overall and picked up 3rd place Men's Vets 40-49. It was great to run with the 2nd lady finisher and work together through most of the second half and she kicked ahead of me in the last 400 metres. The run has given me some good confidence that I'm heading in the right direction in this marathon training block.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Sounds like a good weekend of running and some great times at the Bedgbury race.

I finally managed a new PB at parkrun yesterday. I did Victoria Docks and clocked in at 23.05 (64.40%) so a 12 second PB. So 49 parkruns and 24 locations now done and am planning to do my 50th at Tilgate next week.

On Sunday it was LSR day and a group of us went out exploring. Ticked off 19 miles in 3.13 and felt OK at the end of it. 9 weeks to Manchester.

A bit of Googling suggests that Victoria Docks is rated as the fastest parkrun course there is (see below link). Based upon your travels would you agree?

Sussex features pretty well with Worthing (#3) & Hove prom (#18) among the fastest and Bevendean Down (#7) in the slowest.

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/fastest-and-toughest-parkruns-in-the-uk-1039920546/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice running Bedgbury crew and everyone else over the weekend. Some great performances building towards the Spring marathons...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A bit of Googling suggests that Victoria Docks is rated as the fastest parkrun course there is (see below link). Based upon your travels would you agree?

Sussex features pretty well with Worthing (#3) & Hove prom (#18) among the fastest and Bevendean Down (#7) in the slowest.

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/fastest-and-toughest-parkruns-in-the-uk-1039920546/

Victoria Docks here I come!
Interesting stats from Run Britain. Didn't realise they were tracking me till reading that. 56347th male road runner doesn't sound too good but I like the post code 6th out of my age group.

UK Overall 69371
UK Men 56347
UK M60 1522
Postcode Overall 173
Postcode Men 130
Postcode M60 6

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Definitely one to consider! They did that list prior to Seaford's inception, that would be in the top 20 as well for sure. Ahead of Hove Promenade for me, for sure. I'm looking forward to getting back to Seaford and giving it a good whack.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Victoria Docks here I come!
Interesting stats from Run Britain. Didn't realise they were tracking me till reading that. 56347th male road runner doesn't sound too good but I like the post code 6th out of my age group.

UK Overall 69371
UK Men 56347
UK M60 1522
Postcode Overall 173
Postcode Men 130
Postcode M60 6

Interesting that you're just ahead of me on every stat (which I'd expect), except for the postcode M60. You need to move house.
I can't wait until I move into M65 in a few months!

UK Overall 70685
UK Men 57252
UK M60 1581
Postcode Overall 175
Postcode Men 138
Postcode M60 5

The ranking stats on the British Athletics site (linked to Run Britain), https://thepowerof10.info/ are even more fun. I'm particularly proud of my 2018 marathon performance which has me down as ranked 188th in the UK in the V60 category...

UK Rankings
Event AG Year Rank
10K V60 2015 641
10K V60 2017 603
10K V60 2018 604
10K V60 2019 936
HM V60 2018 465
HM V60 2019 480
Mar V60 2018 188

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just got my Brighton Half number and race info.

Looking at that runbritain site you can also see a list of upcoming races that they are tracking and Brighton Half is one of them. It states the field size is 13,500 which is.....well.....too many IMHO. Has it always been that large? The start always feels congested and the toilet queues huge.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's brilliant to see all of the fantastic running results and achievements over the weekend! Well done to Team NSC at the Bedgebury 10 miler! Some epic racing! Also kudos to [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] getting out in the snow!

I had fun at the Watford Half yesterday and really happy with a chip time of 1:18:15 on a pretty challenging hilly course and windy conditions. I placed 29th overall and picked up 3rd place Men's Vets 40-49. It was great to run with the 2nd lady finisher and work together through most of the second half and she kicked ahead of me in the last 400 metres. The run has given me some good confidence that I'm heading in the right direction in this marathon training block.

Thanks! The joys of training through winter in Canada. It actually wasn't too bad, at least I was running on fresh snow rather than the icy, compacted stuff you get after a day or two. Also, it was only just below freezing, so I didn't need to layer up too much. It's the first time I've gone over 20k in this training cycle and I feel in really good shape. I even threw in a load of hills and found them relatively easy, despite the snow.

Congrats on your time in Watford, that's a fantastic effort. A top 3 AG is always a great achievement. I think I've come 4th on 3 occasions and 5th on another!

I saw all the Bedgebury posts on Strava too. That looked like a fun race and some impressive times. Great running all round this weekend. :clap2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting that you're just ahead of me on every stat (which I'd expect), except for the postcode M60. You need to move house.
I can't wait until I move into M65 in a few months!

UK Overall 70685
UK Men 57252
UK M60 1581
Postcode Overall 175
Postcode Men 138
Postcode M60 5

The ranking stats on the British Athletics site (linked to Run Britain), https://thepowerof10.info/ are even more fun. I'm particularly proud of my 2018 marathon performance which has me down as ranked 188th in the UK in the V60 category...

UK Rankings
Event AG Year Rank
10K V60 2015 641
10K V60 2017 603
10K V60 2018 604
10K V60 2019 936
HM V60 2018 465
HM V60 2019 480
Mar V60 2018 188

I don't want to move but I could use a friend/relative's address. :lol: Like the school catchment parents.

My graph has a different movement to yours from a Marathon. Last years dismal 4:38:00 has made it's mark and a few months out injured and without a mojo kept it down in the dumps. Never realised it was recorded must try harder this year.

https://www.runbritainrankings.com/runners/profile.aspx?athleteid=970077 EDIT I've just added my Parkrun code and the graph has changed completely.

Just had a look at the old man in Worthing and as we'd expect he is Post Code 2nd. Probably low enough for him to consider moving.....

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I don't want to move but I could use a friend/relative's address. :lol: Like the school catchment parents.

My graph has a different movement to yours from a Marathon. Last years dismal 4:38:00 has made it's mark and a few months out injured and without a mojo kept it down in the dumps. Never realised it was recorded must try harder this year.

https://www.runbritainrankings.com/runners/profile.aspx?athleteid=970077 EDIT I've just added my Parkrun code and the graph has changed completely.

Just had a look at the old man in Worthing and as we'd expect he is Post Code 2nd. Probably low enough for him to consider moving.....

There are hours of fun to be had with this site. Attached shows the progression of your handicap over time (in red) compared with mine since I started running in 2015 (in blue). I caught you up nicely in mid-2017, only to have fallen back again markedly since then....

Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 15.14.08.png

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I've banged on about Run Britain and the sister site Power of 10 before. Somehow, despite rather because of performance, it makes you feel more like a pukka athlete. Of course, both of these sources - and any others - are secondary to the status and significance of the mighty NSC Runners table. You might be first in your postcodes but where are you on the NSC Age Graded League? (Answer: better than me right now.)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks! The joys of training through winter in Canada. It actually wasn't too bad, at least I was running on fresh snow rather than the icy, compacted stuff you get after a day or two. Also, it was only just below freezing, so I didn't need to layer up too much. It's the first time I've gone over 20k in this training cycle and I feel in really good shape. I even threw in a load of hills and found them relatively easy, despite the snow.

Congrats on your time in Watford, that's a fantastic effort. A top 3 AG is always a great achievement. I think I've come 4th on 3 occasions and 5th on another!

I saw all the Bedgebury posts on Strava too. That looked like a fun race and some impressive times. Great running all round this weekend. :clap2:

Thanks mate! I didn't realise there were category places so was really surprised to hear my name called out while I was chatting to a couple of friends in the baggage collection & changing tent and dashed to the awards presentation spot to collect a medal.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There are hours of fun to be had with this site. Attached shows the progression of your handicap over time (in red) compared with mine since I started running in 2015 (in blue). I caught you up nicely in mid-2017, only to have fallen back again markedly since then....

View attachment 119820

The upward move from 2013 was due to NSC and the 2017 dip was the rheumatoid arthritis flare up.
Hopefully our paths will meet again but on a higher stratum for both of us. Onwards and upwards.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just got my Brighton Half number and race info.

Looking at that runbritain site you can also see a list of upcoming races that they are tracking and Brighton Half is one of them. It states the field size is 13,500 which is.....well.....too many IMHO. Has it always been that large? The start always feels congested and the toilet queues huge.

I think Brighton HM has a big drop out rate, looking at previous years around 7,500/8,000 is the usual number that actually run. As you say it already feels crowded so if a big increase in numbers could be a crowded run!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave

I am not sure why its such a fast course, 3 x 180 degree turns, a couple of cobbled areas, plus quite a few bollards to negotiate. On the plus side a smallish field, no pedestrians or dogs in the way. Both me and my mate got PBs. I think its getting a reputation as fast, so lots of fast runners run and that pushes the average time down. The top 5 were all sub 17.26. There was a group around me all pushing hard and we definitely helped each other to keep going. Looking at the results from Saturday there where so many first time runners, I imagine many like me aiming for PBs due to the reputation of the course.

Of all the ones I have done I would see Hastings with potential to be the quickest as literally out and back and flat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here