Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
runshoes.JPG

I have pulled the trigger on purchasing these little fellas - my first new running shoes in (I think) 3 years. I've got 4 pairs on rotation, plus a pair exclusively for the gym, and they've all served me well but I have to retire the ones used on sunday and I REALLY need to retire the ones I've been using at work. In truth, there's a third pair which also need retiring but I'll phase those out over the next two months. I don't have much disposable income so I'm quite reserved with my purchases. Not with the shoes themselves though - these are a proper throwback to my first proper running shoes, which were retired after my third Marathon of 2014.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm actually more tempted by the Saucony shoes when they come out in the summer (or maybe earlier, given the 4 month rule and the Olympics). I'm sure they'd be a better fit for me than the Alphafly with my slightly wide feet. I've also heard they're much more stable and give better support on the edges of the shoe rather than just concentrating on middle.

I was also looking at the Brooks offering: https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a30731582/brooks-hyperion-elite-running-shoe-first-look/
I'd like to give them a try. Although I doubt they'd let anyone try them out given they're only supposed to last 50-100 miles.

I feel like I'm going to be the odd one out at the Boston start line, wearing my bog standard New Balance 880s.

The Saucony Endorphin Pro looks a lovely shoe. Yeah I think they're rushing to move the release date forward from June to April so that it complies with the new World Athletics 4 month regs. At least in time for a "soft" limited release.

I've never really been tempted with Brooks although my first ever pair of running shoes were Brooks Glycerin. That's a lot of shoe.

Can't go wrong with what you're familiar with Badger so your trusted New Balance 880s will no doubt come through for you! :smile:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Saucony Endorphin Pro looks a lovely shoe. Yeah I think they're rushing to move the release date forward from June to April so that it complies with the new World Athletics 4 month regs. At least in time for a "soft" limited release.

I've never really been tempted with Brooks although my first ever pair of running shoes were Brooks Glycerin. That's a lot of shoe.

Can't go wrong with what you're familiar with Badger so your trusted New Balance 880s will no doubt come through for you! :smile:

Yeah I imagine the Endorphin will be tough to get hold of if they do release it early. I wonder what the rule is in terms of how many pairs they need to put on sale to count as them being available to the public.

I started with Brooks too. My first few pairs were Brooks Adrenaline, when I was recommended to have a stability after some gait analysis. Since I started getting faster and improved my natural gait it's been neutral shoes all the way. I tried a pair of Brooks Levitate 2s last year. They are really comfortable and I was tempted to buy a pair until I saw they were more than CA$200.

I hope the 880s do come through for me. I switched to them (from Saucony Ride) back in September and I've been impressed so far. The real test will be when I start doing the 30k+ runs next week.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Back to the Vaporfly, I read this a few days back. Seems they analysed a whole heap of Strava data, and compare the Vaporfly to many other shoes we're probably all wearing: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/13/upshot/nike-vaporfly-next-percent-shoe-estimates.html

I sort of agree with the notion of these super-shoes "breaking running", and I say that as someone who has never run a single race - not even a Park Run (yes I know Ninja says PR isn't a race, but everything he writes about them suggests it really is for him!).

If the shoes can improve someone by 5%, they turn an 8-minute miler into a nearly 7:30 miler - that's a massive difference!

Maybe this will all be relatively short-lived and this technology will filter down to shoes at regular price-points, and everyone will be largely on a level-playing field again, with the shoe manufacturers fiddling around for small marginal gains again...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been for a run (only two miles) and the back felt ok...

#Comeback

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've been for a run (only two miles) and the back felt ok...

#Comeback

.....with a 10kg tyre knowing you.

For [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I’ll be able to give feedback on the vaporfly in 9 days time. Mine are still in the box after 2 weeks. Not wearing them for wet winter training and my first Parkrun of year is the Arena Parkrun series at PP on the 15th.
Looking forward to first 5k in 7 weeks and chomping at the bit.
I noticed Caroline Wood has succumbed and ran 40:30ish at Chichester 10k. When asked about the shoes she ignored the time and said they were very comfortable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
**** it. Farmer ******* Giles have popped out. Only the one but could make running difficult or even bring it to a halt if not managed properly. :hilton:

Any tips? New experience for me.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
**** it. Farmer ******* Giles have popped out. Only the one but could make running difficult or even bring it to a halt if not managed properly. :hilton:

Any tips? New experience for me.

This thread is worthless without pics. Don’t know I’ve never had them and I don’t think Jesus has a recovery programme for this.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"So my expectations were low. When my results came, I was flabbergasted: 26 minutes, 18 seconds – one second off an entire minute faster than my fastest-ever.

My previous personal bests had all been hard-won in incremental, 30-second improvements. This was a monumental advance."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-test-driving-nikes-new-vaporfly-running-shoe

Ha, I literally came on this thread to post this article!

I would love to try these shoes, but it's quite likely I'd just feel like a cheat for wearing them in a race. Maybe we should add a "5K PB in cheating shoes" column to the NSC table.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ha, I literally came on this thread to post this article!

I would love to try these shoes, but it's quite likely I'd just feel like a cheat for wearing them in a race. Maybe we should add a "5K PB in cheating shoes" column to the NSC table.

I expect most of those who take their racing semi-seriously will adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" mindset.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I expect most of those who take their racing semi-seriously will adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" mindset.

This is why I'm so torn on the subject!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This thread was happy enough when Kipchoge broke a 2 hour marathon wearing a pair super foamed that would not be allowed in competitions.
As to the NSC table I know at least 2 Vaporfliers. I’ll be one next week if the bum gel allows me to run.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This thread was happy enough when Kipchoge broke a 2 hour marathon wearing a pair super foamed that would not be allowed in competitions.
As to the NSC table I know at least 2 Vaporfliers. I’ll be one next week if the bum gel allows me to run.

I'm expecting my upgraded NSC medals in the post when the retrospective doping bans come into effect.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m setting up a hire business for the summer. One hour rentals 9am Saturday mornings.

Can you stretch to a five hour hire (circa 3 hours and something under 59 mins actual running, the rest queuing up) in April? :whistle:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Up at the crack of dawn so that I can do my long run this morning instead of tomorrow. Chances of me going out in Storm Ciara = zero. I will just have to get by today in my 150 mile-old pair of Brooks Adrenaline.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here