Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Great to hear of new Hove parkrun. This will be fast and might turn out to be the most popular of the 3 local ones. I'm a 60-64 category old geezer (that's Brian Powney if you measure your existence by Brighton goal-keepers) and can still clock under 21.00 (with a following wind). Are there any other similar old gits out there? (Brighton has some pretty fast vets and I'm sure one or two might also be on the Albion forum.)

Well, I'll be moving into your age category in July, so look forward to being able to compete with you and the other hardcore vets. I've been running for about a year now, and am still somewhat short of your times -- I've managed to get my parkrun PB down to just over 23 minutes (from around 28m when I started), and I came in at just over 48 min in the BM 10k last month. I'm struggling to move below 23m on the 5k at the moment, but knowing that there are others like you around, and seeing a few of them ahead of me on Saturday mornings continues to give me hope.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great to hear of new Hove parkrun. This will be fast and might turn out to be the most popular of the 3 local ones. I'm a 60-64 category old geezer (that's Brian Powney if you measure your existence by Brighton goal-keepers) and can still clock under 21.00 (with a following wind). Are there any other similar old gits out there? (Brighton has some pretty fast vets and I'm sure one or two might also be on the Albion forum.)

See you on June 13th at Hove Park for the Challenge then. There is a great 60-64 runner every week at Hove. One week he does an easy 21 and every other a 19:17 or thereabouts. Good stuff. Luckily not in the Challenge!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
See you on June 13th at Hove Park for the Challenge then. There is a great 60-64 runner every week at Hove. One week he does an easy 21 and every other a 19:17 or thereabouts. Good stuff. Luckily not in the Challenge!

Yes I know of this guy (Paul Gasson?). He right up there and can still do some awesome times. I live to the west and I tend to do the Bognor parkrun as it suits family routine. I don't think it's any 'quicker' than the current 2 Brighton ones: it is flat as the proverbial pancake but has lots of twists and turns and overtaking is tricky. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
If ever anyone fancies a real challenge then head further west to the Queen Elizabeth Park in Hampshire. It is a brute. (Southsea on the other hand is pretty quick - as long as there's no wind.)

Is anyone down to do the Worthing 10K in June? This is another fast course and could be PB territory for some...................

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Postponed Fartlek from yesterday morning until the morning. I managed eight miles, but in truth it dropped off after about 30 minutes. Bloody hard work, but I averaged 8:12 a mile, and it included some spells of walking (I know - bad runner!).

Sounds crazy, but I could almost feel that it was doing me good, rather than just an eight-mile plod. I thing once I make it more about quality than quantity – and make sure I do it regularly – it'll become even better.

One other thing I'm loving at the moment, is the statsfest that my Garmin is throwing up. Even if it DID suggest I hit a 1:56/mile pace this morning :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Postponed Fartlek from yesterday morning until the morning. I managed eight miles, but in truth it dropped off after about 30 minutes. Bloody hard work, but I averaged 8:12 a mile, and it included some spells of walking (I know - bad runner!).

Sounds crazy, but I could almost feel that it was doing me good, rather than just an eight-mile plod. I thing once I make it more about quality than quantity – and make sure I do it regularly – it'll become even better.

One other thing I'm loving at the moment, is the statsfest that my Garmin is throwing up. Even if it DID suggest I hit a 1:56/mile pace this morning :lol:

Nothing wrong with walking, particularly during recovery. Cracking average pace. What you say about quality over quantity is 100% right. Every run should have a purpose....no junk miles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I know of this guy (Paul Gasson?). He right up there and can still do some awesome times. I live to the west and I tend to do the Bognor parkrun as it suits family routine. I don't think it's any 'quicker' than the current 2 Brighton ones: it is flat as the proverbial pancake but has lots of twists and turns and overtaking is tricky. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
If ever anyone fancies a real challenge then head further west to the Queen Elizabeth Park in Hampshire. It is a brute. (Southsea on the other hand is pretty quick - as long as there's no wind.)

Is anyone down to do the Worthing 10K in June? This is another fast course and could be PB territory for some...................

Does the QE run use Butser Hill ??

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You would be throwing up along with your Garmin at that speed.
My fastest average mile was on the hilly Hastings half marathon. Not much use if you have accidentally turned on the Garmin in the car in Hove that morning.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Right, I have a running dilema of sorts. I did 8 miles on Sunday and have done a 30 min run with the 30-20-10 Fartlek and a 35 min with 4x4 min sprint intervals on Tuesday and Wednesday. I want to do another long run on Sunday because that's when I will have most time but I reckon I'll have 45 mins spare tomorrow morning before work. I have two things in mind, either tackle my normal 5k loop and try and beat my best time for it to see if the speed session worked or just going for 22 mins out as quickly as I dare before doubling back and seeing the distance.

Is either more beneficial in terms of both speed training and fat burning?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd leave the Garmin, or whatever, at home and go for an easy enjoyable 30-40 minute relaxed recovery run along the seafront. You have had a good week. Try jumping in the sea at The Anglers afterwards. We are within days of the first submersion of the year and it's always good to say you went in before anyone else for the next month or so. Swim or not you are the ready for a good effort on Sunday.

After Dazzer pushing me to my limit Saturday and doing 8x600m intervals on Tuesday I have had to have 2 days off but feel good for it. tomorrow will be recovery run with maybe a sea dip for me (?).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'd leave the Garmin, or whatever, at home and go for an easy enjoyable 30-40 minute relaxed recovery run along the seafront. You have had a good week. Try jumping in the sea at The Anglers afterwards. We are within days of the first submersion of the year and it's always good to say you went in before anyone else for the next month or so. Swim or not you are the ready for a good effort on Sunday.

After Dazzer pushing me to my limit Saturday and doing 8x600m intervals on Tuesday I have had to have 2 days off but feel good for it. tomorrow will be recovery run with maybe a sea dip for me (?).

Cheers. I'll leave the swim I think - I suspect my body would go in to shock - but the rest sounds an excellent plan.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm playing catch-up this week due to phone issues.

My iPhone went doolally whilst I was away in Bristol meaning I couldn't run on Monday night as it was taking all evening to restore. I couldn't run if I couldn't track it! I left the phone restoring overnight in the hope that it would be ready for the morning, and I set a 5am alarm. Hotel du Vin in Bristol is a great place to stay and it wasn't easy to drag my sorry arse out of bed at that time, but I did, regretting it when I made it outside to find it was tipping it down. I'd made it that far though so I went out, running North and up and then turning back to the top of the downs and the long downhill drag of Whiteladies Road and Park Street. I should have been able to belt down the latter but it's so steep and felt so slippery under foot I took it quite easily. 6.5m in the bank.

Today brought more rain so I waited until this evening when the forecast suggested a dryish spell and I've just come in. Since restoring Strava hasn't been giving me audible voice alarms and it was curious running without them. I felt unusually strong all the way round my home 6.5m loop and completed it in my best time to date and felt really good at the end. I'm struggling to think of a more positive feeling run I've had. My effort was really consistent for me, with Strava reporting my GAP times of 8:52, 9:03, 9:08, 9:10, 8:54, 8:46 and 8:45. I feel buzzing now.

To make up my planned distance for the week, it will be another 6.5m tomorrow, an easy 5m on Saturday and 10 miles on Sunday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This. Two hard sessions a week is plenty. Have an easy run - 'conversational pace'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm playing catch-up this week due to phone issues.

My iPhone went doolally whilst I was away in Bristol meaning I couldn't run on Monday night as it was taking all evening to restore. I couldn't run if I couldn't track it! I left the phone restoring overnight in the hope that it would be ready for the morning, and I set a 5am alarm. Hotel du Vin in Bristol is a great place to stay and it wasn't easy to drag my sorry arse out of bed at that time, but I did, regretting it when I made it outside to find it was tipping it down. I'd made it that far though so I went out, running North and up and then turning back to the top of the downs and the long downhill drag of Whiteladies Road and Park Street. I should have been able to belt down the latter but it's so steep and felt so slippery under foot I took it quite easily. 6.5m in the bank.

Today brought more rain so I waited until this evening when the forecast suggested a dryish spell and I've just come in. Since restoring Strava hasn't been giving me audible voice alarms and it was curious running without them. I felt unusually strong all the way round my home 6.5m loop and completed it in my best time to date and felt really good at the end. I'm struggling to think of a more positive feeling run I've had. My effort was really consistent for me, with Strava reporting my GAP times of 8:52, 9:03, 9:08, 9:10, 8:54, 8:46 and 8:45. I feel buzzing now.

To make up my planned distance for the week, it will be another 6.5m tomorrow, an easy 5m on Saturday and 10 miles on Sunday.

Two things :

1. Skin is waterproof
2. Running without a watch now and again is incredibly liberating. Try it !

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
You lot using tracking apps should sign up to bounts. Its a app the connects to apps and fitness tracker such as fitbit and strava. And it awards you points for how active you are. witch you then use as money to get vouchers to spend at places like m&s, Sainsburys and loads more. Check it out www.bounts.it Anyone who signs up use my referral code evans1629 and you will get some bonus points. Its somthing for nothing!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Listened to the wise experience on this thread and ran 40 minutes at a steady average of 9.46 per mile. Feel pretty good. Mind you, that sea looked freezing [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finished the run stretched on the beach, walked to the sea. Got up to knee depth but because of the swell the next step was full submersion. So I continued to paddle. Nearly there though and my feet feel great.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seriously thinking about doing this at Littlehampton tomorrow after the jog up and down the river...........mate of mine jumped in the Adur after the Downslink Ultra, but that was a warm October day.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I used to love a dip at Shoreham Beach after a run in summer mornings. Live too far away from it now.

I had my own recovery run this morning (calfs killing me from Wednesday's fartlek) along the river, and then houseboats. 4.61 miles in 38:55. Lovely.

In other news, I've got a place for London Marathon, so the double is on. Added bonus of no minimum sponsorship :thumbsup: (without that sounding too uncharitable). Slightly offsets the frustration of having a house move pushed back by five days...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My littlest has had a temperature most of this week so I haven't been able to get out prior to today. I decided to try out a new route and ended up doing 8.5 miles in just over an hour.

It was quite nice to have a leisurely run and see some new places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here