Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hope your foot clears up soon.

I was on for a 1:35 up until 8 miles when the stresses of the last week caught up with me and I lost all power in my legs. I relied on keeping up the cadence from then on. Caught the 1:40 pacer with a mile or two to go (don't even remember him passing me in the first place) and that was the incentive to see out the rest of the race... and clock a pb

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two firsts this early afternoon. 1) First non-stop, non-walk run lasting over an hour. 2) First 10k time I've had recorded on an app. So PBs (bound to be the slowest on the thread but posted to give myself something to aim at in upcoming races):

5k - 28.52
10k 1:05:04

< sings "Things can only get better" >

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two firsts this early afternoon. 1) First non-stop, non-walk run lasting over an hour. 2) First 10k time I've had recorded on an app. So PBs (bound to be the slowest on the thread but posted to give myself something to aim at in upcoming races):

5k - 28.52
10k 1:05:04

< sings "Things can only get better" >

Nowt at all wrong with those matey, you'll see quick improvements if you keep this up.......

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Got the train to Seaford and ran home to west hove. 16.4 miles in 2hr 30m but was running a bit slower with friends so all good as legs felt ok at the end.
Sea front suddenly getting very busy with the improved weather, need to get out earlier next weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got the train to Seaford and ran home to west hove. 16.4 miles in 2hr 30m but was running a bit slower with friends so all good as legs felt ok at the end.
Sea front suddenly getting very busy with the improved weather, need to get out earlier next weekend.

West Hove. Out of interest, were you running through Hove Lagoon mid morning Monday gone? I was walking the Beagle 300m away but thought I recognised your stride. stalker alert.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just under 17 last night for me so a little behind where I wanted to be before the marathon.

Ran along the under lift to Saltdean and back then lagoon to West Pier and back.

Does anyone else find the under cliff pretty unforgiving on the joints? Is the surface harder than pavements? I've got relatively new shoes so plenty of life in them still.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just under 17 last night for me so a little behind where I wanted to be before the marathon.

Ran along the under lift to Saltdean and back then lagoon to West Pier and back.

Does anyone else find the under cliff pretty unforgiving on the joints? Is the surface harder than pavements? I've got relatively new shoes so plenty of life in them still.

Not at all. I prefer that shiny concrete surface to the worn out asphalt on Hove Prom, where I sense my feet stick to the gravel poking through. It could be horses for courses though.
Which joints are suffering? Are they alright when you get back past the marina?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I didn't realise it was open - last time I went down there, it was all closed off. I rarely run along there - prefer to stick to the road up top. Sounds like a good run though - I'm sure you'll be fine come the big day...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Done all my long runs in the last three months offroad. Complete Revelation. Very quick recovery, definitely improved strength and conditioning and not the slightest sign of any pain. Usually slower than on road, but I make up for that with speedwork on the road, but obviously shorter sessions.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Done all my long runs in the last three months offroad. Complete Revelation. Very quick recovery, definitely improved strength and conditioning and not the slightest sign of any pain. Usually slower than on road, but I make up for that with speedwork on the road, but obviously shorter sessions.

Same here, nearly all my long runs this year have been on the downs, a bit tougher and slower but find it keeps the injuries at bay and a much nicer view. However I have decided that I need some hard surface running as that's what I am going to be pounding for 26 miles. Going to try a 18 mile seafront run tomorrow, be interesting how I find it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not at all. I prefer that shiny concrete surface to the worn out asphalt on Hove Prom, where I sense my feet stick to the gravel poking through. It could be horses for courses though.
Which joints are suffering? Are they alright when you get back past the marina?

Mainly ankles and it didn't get better after the marina, though I suspect the damage had already been done.

Last two long runs coming up one of which will be the Albion challenge which takes in the old Goldstone followed by Withdean then the Amex it's about an 18 miles round trip but pretty hilly so excellent prep, I would definitely recommend the route.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I try and mix it up a bit between flat road running and up on the downs.. i love doing the hills but the more time spent on the trails, i feel my tolerance for running on the flat boring roads really suffers.. Its also tough midweek in the winter to get some decent miles in on the downs so tend to focus on speed, tempo, 1 hour hill repeats and too and back work runs. Then long run sunday.

By tomorrow night, this week i should of clocked up 60 miles, which will be good for me..then go for it at park run on sat!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I didn't realise it was open - last time I went down there, it was all closed off. I rarely run along there - prefer to stick to the road up top. Sounds like a good run though - I'm sure you'll be fine come the big day...

If closed you can run through Asda car park past the shop front and continue East either on the road or follow the pedestrian busy footpath past the boats to the lock gates where you follow the marina wall to the under cliff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports