Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What do you struggle with? Aches and pains?

Some aches yes - shins and ankles. Beyond that, my legs are just too weary to give me as much as I know they can when fresh. I think I'm just over-doing it slightly, even on my modest distances and speeds, given I'm quite new to the game, again.

I have a yearning to get out though - I've had to stop myself going out for an evening run before when I've been out for a morning one.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a good plan. I've enterred the Hastings Half, which i'll use as part of back to back long runs that weekend. Don't really know much about the course? Do you know if its flat or undulating? quite looking forward to it, kids are looking forward on going up and down the funicalr railway/lift thing!

First time but it is famous for a long, steep hill near the start. The funicular railway maybe the best option for me! The plan is to do a 5 mile 10" warm up and then run at 9" miles for the half marathon. I can then take full advantage of the drink stations before a pint or two of Harveys at lunch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You could always combine the Beer and running;

http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer

3 laps, 4 cans..

Christ. I'd be a Super Master were I to attempt that, which I won't. It's all too reminiscent of the expat football days in Taipei where, at our annual Gala tournament each Spring, you had to have a shot of overproof Polish vodka to get on the pitch and at least one beer between every 20 minute match, Spring in Taipei can see temperatures of around 26 - 28 degrees c. I was only a Master back then, mind, and a young one at that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think we're plodding roughly parallel routes...

Strava shows my best 5k as being 27:52, my longest run has been 8 miles (in 1:18) and I've lost 22b (c10kg I think) over the time since I started running again.

Like you I'm enjoying it - possibly too much, illustrated by going out with no aim and ending up doing 8 miles at about 10:30 on a Sunday night. I can get round what are, for me, long routes but I struggle for days afterwards. Going out in the following 2-3 days is very hard.

I'm off to New York later and I'm keen to get at least one Central Park run in whilst there.

*fistbump*

You're slightly ahead. 5 miles is my longest though that's because I'm on a 10k training plan and that's the longest that's been on there so far (done in a shade over 50 mins and I suspect I could have gone quicker, though I also needed 2 days to recover). I'm already thinking about doing the Brighton Half next Feb. Not a full marathon though, Not quite THAT converted. Yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some aches yes - shins and ankles. Beyond that, my legs are just too weary to give me as much as I know they can when fresh. I think I'm just over-doing it slightly, even on my modest distances and speeds, given I'm quite new to the game, again.

I have a yearning to get out though - I've had to stop myself going out for an evening run before when I've been out for a morning one.

It doesn't sound like its chronic aches and pains. If it's mainly that you're legs are just a bit "heavy" it might be simple over-doing as you suggest. Are you doing lots of longer runs? If so maybe mix your distances and Follow your longest long run with a short one a day later. A short run of a few miles max the day after a long run also, apparently, aids recovery as it will get the blood pumping. I say apparently as it doesn't feel like it. But, from experience I feel it does work.

And yes, do get out in Central Park. Also, there is an excellent running track/boardwalk along the side of the Hudson. Just head to the Hudson from the West village, cross the road to the river side and you'll see it. The views are great.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
*fistbump*

You're slightly ahead. 5 miles is my longest though that's because I'm on a 10k training plan and that's the longest that's been on there so far (done in a shade over 50 mins and I suspect I could have gone quicker, though I also needed 2 days to recover). I'm already thinking about doing the Brighton Half next Feb. Not a full marathon though, Not quite THAT converted. Yet.

A plan is probably wise. I'm not sure many plans would include cooking a late Sunday lunch, dozing on the sofa and then getting up and running for 8 miles when you've only done 3.8 before that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A plan is probably wise. I'm not sure many plans would include cooking a late Sunday lunch, dozing on the sofa and then getting up and running for 8 miles when you've only done 3.8 before that.

Ha. 3.8 to 8 is quite a leap....think we might have worked out why your legs feel heavy!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
*fistbump*

I ran Brighton HM last month for the first time in years, and REALLY enjoyed it. I think since the marathon started here, residents really 'get' running races and the crowd fire the half was amazing.

You'll love it.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Anyone that wants to keep improving, I would seriously suggest something like yoga. I've always known I've had stupidly tight muscles, especially my hip flexors, but after 12 weeks of yoga I've improved my mobility and flexibility, helping both my running and weights in the gym.

Mobility is seriously under-trained.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012

Strava shows my best 5k as being 27:52, my longest run has been 8 miles (in 1:18) and I've lost 22b (c10kg I think) over the time since I started running again.

Like you I'm enjoying it - possibly too much, illustrated by going out with no aim and ending up doing 8 miles at about 10:30 on a Sunday night. I can get round what are, for me, long routes but I struggle for days afterwards. Going out in the following 2-3 days is very hard.

I'm off to New York later and I'm keen to get at least one Central Park run in whilst there.

What's your warm up and cool down routine? If any!!

Whether we like it or not both parts are vital if you want to move normally the following day or two!

You could do a lot worse than reducing your run by a mile and spending what time that would take stretching off before you start!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great stuff.....I started exactly like this (was 18 stone and puffed my way through about 5 mins first time out).

Central Park is brilliant for a run - it's almost exactly 10k for a full 'loop' and lovely scenery. Quite hilly around the North End too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Whether we like it or not both parts are vital if you want to move normally the following day or two!

You could do a lot worse than reducing your run by a mile and spending what time that would take stretching off before you start!

Best thing by far is to do something the day after you do a longer run, just to flush the muscles out and get everything moving, and avoiding the dreaded DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Doesn't have to be hardcore - even a brisk walk will help.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Nothing. I change and I'm straight out and I cool down on the sofa on NSC. I've never done stretching and the like.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great stuff.....I started exactly like this (was 18 stone and puffed my way through about 5 mins first time out).

Central Park is brilliant for a run - it's almost exactly 10k for a full 'loop' and lovely scenery. Quite hilly around the North End too.

I started off a long way below 18st although I was very possibly the heaviest I've ever been, helped by truly going for it over a 2 week Christmas and New Year break.

I know from previous forays into running how quicklu improvement happens with regard to both distance and speed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nothing. I change and I'm straight out and I cool down on the sofa on NSC. I've never done stretching and the like.
Me neither. Up early doors and out. Get back and eat/drink pretty much straight away!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Not sure about how vital this is. I've never stretched before or after a run. Even when I used to compete in local athletics (100-400m), my warm up used to consist of having the heating on in the car on the way to the track.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Not sure about how vital this is. I've never stretched before or after a run. Even when I used to compete in local athletics (100-400m), my warm up used to consist of having the heating on in the car on the way to the track.

Same here. After a long run normally all I want to do is put my feet up and lounge around on the sofa, but the wife and kids have other ideas..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
18 miles this morning, with a parkrun in the mix. Got beaten by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] in the closing stages - couldn't even manage a proper sprint finish. Still under 25 mins, which wasn't bad considering I'd already done ten, I started from the back, and had already been UP the Droveway.

2:39 all in. Run back to SBS was tough.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012

Haha! Fair enough but I would say the older we get the harder it becomes! I never used to stretch before running but after serious calf injuries, it is now a must!

5 or 10 minute warmup, use the trusted foam roller without fail, almost guaranteed no aches the next day!

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012

For injury free running as we get older I would say pretty vital! But each to their own!

Could you compete at 100-400m now without stretching?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here