Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Anyone else attempting any of the 'Survival of the fittest' events this year? I'm at the Nottingham one in 4 weeks. Anybody got any last minute training tips? I'm not worried about the obstacles, but the 12k run is longer than I've ever done.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Going to do some serious hill running behind me at Waterhall tomorrow, need to get my stamina and fitness levels up sharpish. Anyone have any recommendations or advice for staminia building and endurance building?

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
I bought a book ( Barefoot Running Step by Step: Barefoot Ken Bob, the Guru of Shoeless Running, Shares His Personal Technique for Running with More Speed, Less Impact, Fewer Injuries and More Fun:Amazon:Books ), us read loads of articles and have completely changed my style of running.
It's taken about 2 months.

No adverse effects yet, not even the dreaded calf pain.

Can now run 10k comfortably either with minimalist shoes or with no shoes at all.

Awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
At my third attempt, today I managed to break the 4 hour marathon barrier in Berlin. Dead chuffed as it actually beats my pb by 30 mins. Celebrating with some German beer and a currywurst.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At my third attempt, today I managed to break the 4 hour marathon barrier in Berlin. Dead chuffed as it actually beats my pb by 30 mins. Celebrating with some German beer and a currywurst.

Well done, that gives me hope.

I ran 4:36 in London 2002. I've been dreaming of sub four next year at Brighton, but never thought it would happen. I still don't, but maybe, just maybe...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ran Barns Green 1/2 marathon today. 45th half marathon done & dusted. 1:41

Nice one. Are you (or anyone else) doing the Midnight half at the end of October?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fantastic work Sir! Have a 'wurst for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone got a link to a good pair of running shoes, up to about £50-60? Got some fairly cheap Nike ones and they're too heavy, not doing the job at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not committed to it but very tempted.

I ran it last year and it was strangely fun. Mill Road was tough, and I felt I could stop and have a sleep as I came past Hove Park, but a good challenging half.

I'm planning on having a kip during the day (unless there is a home game on) so that I stay alert this year.

I'd recommend running it...

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Had three weeks off running and got out and did a personal best 6km. Problem is my calves are all tight now and have been for a couple of days. Have never experienced tight calves before, to guess they must have withered a bit or something over those three weeks of doing nothing.

Going to rest up for the weekend and then get back on it on Monday. :)

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Anyone got a link to a good pair of running shoes, up to about £50-60? Got some fairly cheap Nike ones and they're too heavy, not doing the job at all.

I just bought some Adizero Feather 2.

I'd been using some chunky Asics gel things before and the difference in weight is really noticable. I've only used them once so far, but they fit like a glove and have good support for my heel which is what I was most concerned about. Anyway, worth a look I'd say.

Attachments

• xlg61900brw.jpg
    xlg61900brw.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 82
  • 2a4fa18dd85b5dd6_adizero-feather-2.xxxlarge_1.jpg
    2a4fa18dd85b5dd6_adizero-feather-2.xxxlarge_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 83

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is anyone else doing The Great South Run in Pompey on Sunday?

I am thinking about doing it wearing the stripes.

Great North and South are on my list of runs, but not this year. Brighton at Midnight on Sunday for me.

Good luck, PP.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I just bought some Adizero Feather 2.

I'd been using some chunky Asics gel things before and the difference in weight is really noticable. I've only used them once so far, but they fit like a glove and have good support for my heel which is what I was most concerned about. Anyway, worth a look I'd say.

Interesting, because I was about to ask the same question.

I have been using a pair of asics trainers for 6 (six!!) years, and they are finally ready to go to the big shoebox in the sky. I was tempted to go with asics again because of how long they lasted - I have certainly had value for my £80 outlay in 2006.

I am flat footed and have big feet (size 13) - is there anything that NSC could recommend? (aside from flippers)

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Interesting, because I was about to ask the same question.

I have been using a pair of asics trainers for 6 (six!!) years, and they are finally ready to go to the big shoebox in the sky. I was tempted to go with asics again because of how long they lasted - I have certainly had value for my £80 outlay in 2006.

I am flat footed and have big feet (size 13) - is there anything that NSC could recommend? (aside from flippers)

I hear you on the Asics' longevity! Had mine around five years and must've stood up to a good few thousand km all told. They're still pretty usable, but thought I'd pre-empt them falling to bits during a race by breaking in some new shoes. I had the same thing - I very nearly bought the same ones, but those Adidas jumped out and I'm (so far) glad I went with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here